Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts (edition 2010)

by Stacia Kane

Member:TheDivineOomba
Title:Unholy Ghosts
Authors:Stacia Kane
Info:Harper & Brothers Publishers (2010), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy, From BookMooch, Given Away

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (reconditereader)
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (flemmily)
    flemmily: More of a pulp novel feel, but another gritty, dystopian setting. The main character also deals with ghosts.
    The Naming Of The Beasts by Mike Carey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit gritty and have interesting lead characters that deal with ghosts and hauntings.
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (flemmily)
    flemmily: Similar dystopian setting, similar dark tone.
    Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (GirlMisanthrope)
    Tainted by Julie Kenner (TheLibraryhag)
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (leahsimone)
    Benighted by Kit Whitfield (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: There is a similar feel between these two books - both books deal with a world with one church and a small group of special people who work for the Church, both very much needed, but scorned by the rest of the population.

English (70)  German (1)  All languages (71)
FAVORITE !!! This book hit every mark that I try to avoid in most stories. Heavy drug use, physical abuse, promiscuity, abused children, worms crawling out of skin.... and yet it worked so well I loved reading it. The magic web that Chess got involved in was a roller coaster ride to the darkest of places and yet there was kindness,a friendship in a twisted but sweet way. Terrible the big bad thug, wormed his way into my heart. The details and the imagination written into this story are mind boggling. Don't be afraid of the dark aspect of this tale the story is worth reading more than once.
I got this on audio, the narrator was perfect in her reading and made the book come alive.
*On the grittiness of the series-They are very dark, gritty and sometimes torturous. I was horrified while listening to them, so much pain and suffering. It was the touches of beauty and the strive to survive that made me love the series. To overcome that world, the characters had to have so many shields, layers and layers. The way the author slowly lets us see the soul beneath the black armor, it's realistically twisted. There are no virgin mates, soul mates, great saviors, no perfect people, just people doing what they have to to live the life given to them. Their world is black with small flowers growing through the cracks, it's the flowers that draw me in. I watch them get crushed, and yet another one grows back to try again. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I have to admit, I started to read this book months ago and gave up on it. Well, I heard from a friend that the characters in this book are one of her favorite book couples. So...I decided to give it another shot.

The beginning bogs me down, I didn't feel the hook into the story but...after I pushed through it and got to maybe the middle I started to really get into it...and it definitely worked for me. I am always pro-anti-hero/heroine. I loved how Stacia Kane took a wounded woman and made her strong, confident, and flawed, just like a normal human.

I loved this book once I got into it and I will DEFINITELY continue this series. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This is urban fantasy the way cyberpunk is SF: raw and unwashed, grimy and hopped up on whatever high it can find. If you're looking for a glamorous heroine with a rakish guy from the paranormal romance side of the tracks, look somewhere else.

Still with me? Good.

I keep wanting to compare this to other series, but there's really no point. This is Yet Another Setting where Everyone Knows About Magic, true enough. It's not pretty, it's not sexy, and it's sure not glitzy; our heroine barely gets by thanks to low pay and a serious drug habit. There's no designer couture in her world, dig?

This can be a bit of a tough read. Chess is a street punk, a lowlife who deals with scum just to get by, and there are precious few real bright spots in her world. If that's not your thing, steer clear. If it is...this is good stuff. The crushing hopelessness of Downside oozes from every page, and the victories may not save the world, but they make a difference where it counts.

As for me... I think it's on to book two. I'm curious to see whether Chess stays Downside or is on her way up to better things. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
I dunno. I've gotten kind of overdone with urban fantasy recently, to the point where I end up listening to it in the car because it's got funny moments and it's easy to tune out to, and the plot's basically the same the genre over. Gritty, broke detective-type chases supernatural thingamabobber-that's-doing-bad-stuff all over creation until in the end she defeats it by the skin of her teeth.

However. I ended up being really impressed with this book. The world building was unique -- the idea of the Church and the ghosts made me yearn for more explanation of the history and the functionality of the system. And our heroine was almost an anti-heroine; the things she does are certainly not for her own good, nor for most anyone else's, and she's the very picture of ambivalent corruption.

I also listened to this as an audio book, and I really do need to mention the linguistics. I really enjoyed the slang. I don't normally enjoy slang in books because it takes away from my understanding and makes me think about what's being said as a function of understanding rather than enjoyment. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the slang if I had read this rather than listened to it. But as it stood, the slang absolutely added to the atmosphere of the book, which is rare indeed. Kudos. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
I have to say that Downside Ghosts series really had me climbing up the wall in certain moments. The main characters and the world described in the series is not black and white like we usually see in these types of novels but very very gray indeed. After finishing the first book i was not certain would i like to read the rest of the series or not. In the end i did and found myself understanding the characters better and loving the messed up world that surrounds Chess.

The only big problem i have with Downside Ghosts is that Chess scrapes the bottom of the barrel so many times in so many situations and she doesn't learn or grow as a character. Her drug problem is the real love affair that we follow in the series and although i loved the books so far i can say that i am getting tired of it. Waiting for the main female lead to wind up dead in a ditch somewhere cause she choked in her own puke due to a drug overdose is not something i would name the great culmination of this series. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
To Cori. Not just my best friend, but my best reader. Her enthusiasm for this book in its earliest stages and beyond kept me going; her friendship kept me sane.
Had the man in front of her not already been dead, Chess probably would have tried to kill him.

THE DEPARTED HAVE ARRIVED.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

Chess Putnam is a troubled young witch who hunts down and banishes angry spirits. Still haunted by the memories of her abusive childhood, she has developed a drug problem in order to stifle her thoughts. But her problem frequently gets in her way and it could see her lose everything.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,124,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible