Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts (edition 2010)

by Stacia Kane

Member:TheDivineOomba
Title:Unholy Ghosts
Authors:Stacia Kane
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy, From BookMooch, Given Away

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Recently added bygrapeapril75, arena50, Bugetta, Ciarda, dragonwitch, private library, Cynical_Ames
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (reconditereader)
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (flemmily)
    flemmily: More of a pulp novel feel, but another gritty, dystopian setting. The main character also deals with ghosts.
    The Naming of the Beasts by Mike Carey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit gritty and have interesting lead characters that deal with ghosts and hauntings.
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (flemmily)
    flemmily: Similar dystopian setting, similar dark tone.
    Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (GirlMisanthrope)
    Tainted by Julie Kenner (TheLibraryhag)
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (leahsimone)
    Benighted by Kit Whitfield (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: There is a similar feel between these two books - both books deal with a world with one church and a small group of special people who work for the Church, both very much needed, but scorned by the rest of the population.

English (67)  German (1)  All languages (68)
I'm giving up on this one. I wasn't offended by it as others have been, I just found it uninteresting and was struggling to read every page with enough concentration to take in the information.

Chess isn't a very sympathetic character as she's rather selfish and unconvincing as a survivor of an abusive childhood. She's a functional addict but the drugs cause her to make mistakes in what can be a very dangerous job. Her troubles are of her own making as others exploit her weakness for pills in order to satisfy their own needs. She's bothered by none of this. Me thinks she has a death wish. It all felt very blah, very monotone. More of the same. It seemed there wasn't anything to look forward to. 102/346 pages read. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Really good start for this series that everyone keeps telling me how awesome it is. Not your usual type of heroine or plot or anything, which makes this a unique piece for sure. Recommend it! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I dunno. I've gotten kind of overdone with urban fantasy recently, to the point where I end up listening to it in the car because it's got funny moments and it's easy to tune out to, and the plot's basically the same the genre over. Gritty, broke detective-type chases supernatural thingamabobber-that's-doing-bad-stuff all over creation until in the end she defeats it by the skin of her teeth.

However. I ended up being really impressed with this book. The world building was unique -- the idea of the Church and the ghosts made me yearn for more explanation of the history and the functionality of the system. And our heroine was almost an anti-heroine; the things she does are certainly not for her own good, nor for most anyone else's, and she's the very picture of ambivalent corruption.

I also listened to this as an audio book, and I really do need to mention the linguistics. I really enjoyed the slang. I don't normally enjoy slang in books because it takes away from my understanding and makes me think about what's being said as a function of understanding rather than enjoyment. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the slang if I had read this rather than listened to it. But as it stood, the slang absolutely added to the atmosphere of the book, which is rare indeed. Kudos. ( )
1 vote lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
Wow, this was even better than what I was expecting. Chess works for the Church of Truth as a debunker, which means she investigates peoples claims of hauntings and either exorcises the ghost or proves it to be a false claim.
Chess' character is very interesting, she uses drugs to block out the memories of a very traumatizing childhood as well as some of the horrors she has to face from her job each day. I thought she was very realistic in the way she had a hard time trusting people, isolated herself, stayed away from meaningful relationships, and found it hard to make friends. Even her drug use makes sense considering her background, I hope through the rest of the series, I get to see her grow even more and overcome that addiction.
The Church of Truth was fascinating too and we get to find out how exactly this church came to be, and as the story progresses, we learn some of the rules and expectations for this society under the rule of this Church.
I loved all of the characters in this story, so many of them stand out to me. Of course Terrible, the drug dealer Bump's hired thug, who is a mixture of scary, damaged, and endearing.
Bump himself who I mentally picture as a 60's pimp with permed hair, big hat, and fur coat. Bump is selfish, overconfident, and demanding, but apparently has a soft side as well. The downside street slang is great on the audio.
I can't wait to finish the rest of this series, I hope it continues with the same fast paced action as well as telling us more about some of the characters that we didn't get a lot of back story on.

1/21/2012 Updated to add that Unholy Ghosts is available at Amazon for Kindle for just 99 cents!!! This, and the other 2 books in this series, were my absolute favorite reads of 2010 and probably my favorite urban fantasy reads ever. I definitely recommend you grab it if you haven't read it yet! ( )
1 vote a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Sometimes I want to tell a book "It's not you. It's me." and I felt like that reading this one. There's a lot to like here, it's an interesting world with it's new world order and devastated population. Chess is an interesting heroine, and if I was unsure at first about a drug addict narrator, I think Kane does a good job of letting us know the whys of Chess's addiction. Although she's got some strong powers in many ways Chess is one of the most vulnerable UF heroines I've read, which makes her world feel even more dangerous.

The issues I had are really just things that aren't my thing. I'm not the biggest fan of dystopian stories in general. Ironically they make me depressed about our current society. And I find that I put them down easily since I'm not actually anxious to spend more time in the world. But anyway, one could actually argue that Chess's life is better in this world anyway, given her past and her problems. Another personal bugaboo of mine is when the heroine is the only woman in the book. Every other character with more than a handful of lines is male. Again, it's just a thing that bugs me, if it's not a thing that bugs you then you probably wouldn't even notice it.

In short, the things that dragged this book down for me are very personal to me. I can definitely see how it would work for other people. The characters, plot and world were all interesting and engaging. Many times the first book in a series isn't my favorite (the first Kate Daniels for example) so I will give the second one a shot before I decide on the rest of the series. ( )
2 vote CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
To Cori. Not just my best friend, but my best reader. Her enthusiasm for this book in its earliest stages and beyond kept me going; her friendship kept me sane.
Had the man in front of her not already been dead, Chess probably would have tried to kill him.

THE DEPARTED HAVE ARRIVED.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

Chess Putnam is a troubled young witch who hunts down and banishes angry spirits. Still haunted by the memories of her abusive childhood, she has developed a drug problem in order to stifle her thoughts. But her problem frequently gets in her way and it could see her lose everything.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,366,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible