Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Unholy Ghosts (edition 2010)

by Stacia Kane

Member:TheDivineOomba
Title:Unholy Ghosts
Authors:Stacia Kane
Info:Harper & Brothers Publishers (2010), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Urban Fantasy, From BookMooch, Given Away

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (reconditereader)
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (flemmily)
    flemmily: More of a pulp novel feel, but another gritty, dystopian setting. The main character also deals with ghosts.
    The Naming Of The Beasts by Mike Carey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit gritty and have interesting lead characters that deal with ghosts and hauntings.
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (flemmily)
    flemmily: Similar dystopian setting, similar dark tone.
    Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig (GirlMisanthrope)
    Tainted by Julie Kenner (TheLibraryhag)
    The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (leahsimone)
    Benighted by Kit Whitfield (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: There is a similar feel between these two books - both books deal with a world with one church and a small group of special people who work for the Church, both very much needed, but scorned by the rest of the population.

English (74)  German (1)  All languages (75)
*Spoilers* It was an interesting read. I wasn't sure I'd be all that into it with the main character being a junkie and all. The whole ghosts having to be locked away or they kill people is an interesting concept for a book. This series definitely has potential. I really liked Terrible, thought he was a good character. I really want him and Chess together but she got with Lex....I mean really??? Eww. Anyway I will definitely read/listen to some more of this series. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Two and half stars rounded up, because the genre is definitely not my cup of tea to begin with.

2,5 звёздочки
Наркотики, грязь, трупы, кровищщща. Короче, ужас у​жасный, совсем не в моём вкусе, да ещё и с треугол​ьником (или четырёх-? Ах, нет, пятиугольником!), н​о вот дочитала же... Благодаря героине, я думаю. Ч​езария хороша, несмотря не обилие тараканов в голо​
Но всё же не настолько, чтобы подвигнуть меня на д​альнейшее чтение длинной серии, так что на этом я ​с ней, пожалуй, и попрощаюсь.​
  Rezeda | May 27, 2016 |
Chess Putman is a witch. She works for the Church of Truth as a debunker. Chess however is a drug addict and owes moneyto Bump a dealer and hes come to collect.

My sister recommend this book to me so I borrowed it from the library. I couldn't get into it took it backm then ended up with a copy from my sister as a Christmas present. So ive tried it again.

Second time around and I persevered with it. I enjoyed it a little more than what I thought I would. I quite liked Chess, shes a likeable enough character. Along with her motley crew of fellow characters the story plodded on. I did feel the whys and why not was a bit feeble and this let the story down.

What I didn't like was some of the characters names. Theres a big drug lord snd hes called Bump and his henchman is called Terrible. Felt like they were out of the Mr Men books.

I plodded with this book but felt there wasnt enough in it for me to rush out and get the next books in the set. ( )
  tina1969 | May 13, 2016 |
Chess is a Debunker, a witch trained to detect and dismiss ghosts. When her drug dealer threatens to cut her off if she doesn't purify a local unused airport for him, she gets embroiled in a dangerous chain of events.

And I don't caaaaaaaaaaare because Chess is just a total trainwreck. Every single time she makes a decision, she makes the worst choice possible. She gets into debt with every criminal character she meets, does drugs instead of sleeping, avoids getting medical treatment for no apparent reason, doesn't share information even when it would gain her allies and not harm her...She's supposedly super noir and gritty and cynical, but then she does naive crap like let a random kid (who she knows is a thief, knows is under the control of a gangleader, and has only met once for about ten seconds) stay in her apartment. I think if I'd ever gotten the idea that Chess was smart, or could see what a mess she was making, I might have finished this book. As it was I gave up halfway through, unable to read another chapter of her making yet another series of insanely stupid and terrible decisions. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
FAVORITE !!! This book hit every mark that I try to avoid in most stories. Heavy drug use, physical abuse, promiscuity, abused children, worms crawling out of skin.... and yet it worked so well I loved reading it. The magic web that Chess got involved in was a roller coaster ride to the darkest of places and yet there was kindness,a friendship in a twisted but sweet way. Terrible the big bad thug, wormed his way into my heart. The details and the imagination written into this story are mind boggling. Don't be afraid of the dark aspect of this tale the story is worth reading more than once.
I got this on audio, the narrator was perfect in her reading and made the book come alive.
*On the grittiness of the series-They are very dark, gritty and sometimes torturous. I was horrified while listening to them, so much pain and suffering. It was the touches of beauty and the strive to survive that made me love the series. To overcome that world, the characters had to have so many shields, layers and layers. The way the author slowly lets us see the soul beneath the black armor, it's realistically twisted. There are no virgin mates, soul mates, great saviors, no perfect people, just people doing what they have to to live the life given to them. Their world is black with small flowers growing through the cracks, it's the flowers that draw me in. I watch them get crushed, and yet another one grows back to try again. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
To Cori. Not just my best friend, but my best reader. Her enthusiasm for this book in its earliest stages and beyond kept me going; her friendship kept me sane.
Had the man in front of her not already been dead, Chess probably would have tried to kill him.

THE DEPARTED HAVE ARRIVED.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

Chess Putnam is a troubled young witch who hunts down and banishes angry spirits. Still haunted by the memories of her abusive childhood, she has developed a drug problem in order to stifle her thoughts. But her problem frequently gets in her way and it could see her lose everything.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,955,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible