The Golden City by John Twelve Hawks

The Golden City

by John Twelve Hawks

Series: The Fourth Realm (3)

A good conclusion to the story, but could have been better. It felt abit rushed, however I enjoyed it and look forward to his next book. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
The Golden City ended predictably: with a speech about the evils of the modern surveillance society we live in, laced with new age feel good philosophy about freedom and privacy. The story was...interesting, and at point gripping, but in many ways, predictable. The final ending leaves something to be desired, in it's resolution and completion.

However, it was worth reading if just for the thought provoking nature of the issue JTH wants his readers to address: do we have too much surveillance? Online, our transactions, cameras everywhere...does it limit our freedom and privacy? Are we losing our ability to function as independent creatures? ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
This is a wonderful series of books. I loved them ( )
  butterflyfairy16 | Jul 26, 2013 |
I have just finished reading the 3 books in the Fourth Realm Trilogy back to back so did not have the problem of trying to remember what had gone before while waiting for the next book's publication.

I found the fist book The Traveller engrossing and the second The Dark River a little disappointing (although in my experience this is not unusual for the middle book of a Trilogy), and therefore started the final book with somewhat mixed feelings. Just which way will it go, good or bad?

Ultimately I found the finale rather a let-down. The book lack something of the dynamic style of The Traveller and seemed a little pedestrian at times, there was little depth added to the main protagonists characters', and in the end the Tabula seemed to be too easily defeated with no real great power struggle. Although admittedly it does seem difficult to imagine how else it could have ended given the reality of the world we live in.

In the final analysis it is good to be reminded that personal freedom of both thought and action are the concerns for all of us not just for our elected leaders and pressure groups but have to say that I feel that the author either ran out of ideas or steam or sold out as the ending rather had a Hollywood 'all lived ever after' feel to it.

An enjoyable diversion but left empty as the Hungry Ghosts of Ghost City. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Mar 5, 2013 |
Not as pleased with this book as I was with the first 2 books. There were some elements to some of the storylines that I feel were left undeveloped. Why put them in there if nothing is going to happen with them? The closer I got to the end I kept thinking (as other reviewers said), "How is this possibly going to wrap up in the small amount of pages I have left?" I feel like the author was really going somewhere in the first 2 books and then lost track in this last book. I didn't expect a happy ending for this book by any means, but I definitely don't understand why he put some of the details in this book when nothing happened with them. I don't want to mention specifics and spoil it for anyone. Even though I have some frustrating feelings on how this book unraveled, I don't feel like it was a waste of time to read by any means. I enjoyed the whole series and I would definitely recommend it to others to read. ( )
  awithyco | Jul 31, 2011 |

John Twelve Hawksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Struggling to protect the legacy of his Traveler father, Gabriel faces troubling new questions and relentless threats. His brother Michael, now firmly allied with the enemy, pursues his ambition to wrest power from Nathan Boone, the calculating leader of the Brethren. And Maya, the Harlequin warrior pledged to protect Gabriel at all costs, is forced to make a choice that will change her life forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible