The Golden City by John Twelve Hawks

The Golden City

by John Twelve Hawks

Series: The Fourth Realm (3)

A good conclusion to the story, but could have been better. It felt abit rushed, however I enjoyed it and look forward to his next book. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
As good an ending as you can get for a series in which the author believes in the depravity of man without the redemptive power of God. The problems are all pushed into the nebulous "future" and the battle between Tabula and Traveler are shown for the Dualistic philosophy they truly are.

That being said, I really enjoyed this book. Not as "cool" as the first book, but tighter and more engaging than the second. As soon as it was revealed that Maya was pregnant, I knew that Gabriel had to go. The only thing I don't understand is why Michael went so ballistic at the end. What happened to the calm, collected schemer? ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
The Golden City ended predictably: with a speech about the evils of the modern surveillance society we live in, laced with new age feel good philosophy about freedom and privacy. The story was...interesting, and at point gripping, but in many ways, predictable. The final ending leaves something to be desired, in it's resolution and completion.

However, it was worth reading if just for the thought provoking nature of the issue JTH wants his readers to address: do we have too much surveillance? Online, our transactions, cameras everywhere...does it limit our freedom and privacy? Are we losing our ability to function as independent creatures? ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
This is a wonderful series of books. I loved them ( )
  butterflyfairy16 | Jul 26, 2013 |
I have just finished reading the 3 books in the Fourth Realm Trilogy back to back so did not have the problem of trying to remember what had gone before while waiting for the next book's publication.

I found the fist book The Traveller engrossing and the second The Dark River a little disappointing (although in my experience this is not unusual for the middle book of a Trilogy), and therefore started the final book with somewhat mixed feelings. Just which way will it go, good or bad?

Ultimately I found the finale rather a let-down. The book lack something of the dynamic style of The Traveller and seemed a little pedestrian at times, there was little depth added to the main protagonists characters', and in the end the Tabula seemed to be too easily defeated with no real great power struggle. Although admittedly it does seem difficult to imagine how else it could have ended given the reality of the world we live in.

In the final analysis it is good to be reminded that personal freedom of both thought and action are the concerns for all of us not just for our elected leaders and pressure groups but have to say that I feel that the author either ran out of ideas or steam or sold out as the ending rather had a Hollywood 'all lived ever after' feel to it.

An enjoyable diversion but left empty as the Hungry Ghosts of Ghost City. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Mar 5, 2013 |

John Twelve Hawksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Struggling to protect the legacy of his Traveler father, Gabriel faces troubling new questions and relentless threats. His brother Michael, now firmly allied with the enemy, pursues his ambition to wrest power from Nathan Boone, the calculating leader of the Brethren. And Maya, the Harlequin warrior pledged to protect Gabriel at all costs, is forced to make a choice that will change her life forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible