Adventures with Arnold Lobel by Arnold Lobel

Adventures with Arnold Lobel

by Arnold Lobel

581204,058 (4)None

Small Pig - Even though labeled a Level 2 this reader is very easy to read. I find the "Levels" are very inconsistent with this series anyway. A really cute story of a small pig who lives on a farm where the farmer and his wife love him very much and think he is the best pig in the world. Pig loves to wallow in mud of course, but one day Mrs. Farmer is fed up with the mess of the farm and she cleans up the whole thing including small pig's mud puddle. He can't stand the cleanliness and runs away. He finds several muddy, dirty places to settle down but none work out until he finds the perfect place in the city. Unfortunately he can't read and when he wakes up in the morning he is stuck in the cement of a new sidewalk. A funny story; Ds and I both enjoyed it very much. I really enjoy Lobel's earlier work the best! (5/5)

Mouse Tales - This is perfect Arnold Lobel. Once all seven mouse boys are in bed, Papa mouse begins storytime and he tells one story per child. Thus we have a book of seven short tales. They are all cute and funny and both ds and I enjoyed the book very much. Mostly, the stories are about boys but there is one about a girl and another about a boy and his mother. So this is certainly a boy friendly book, but I don't think girls are going to notice the lack of females; the stories are just funny for everyone. Plus, of course, this is Lobel in the heyday of his artistic talent. Gorgeous and plentiful illustrations. (5/5)

Uncle Elephant - A nameless little elephant is left alone as his parents go for a sail and end up lost at sea in a storm. Out of the blue Uncle Elephant arrives, takes him to his house where they have a wonderful series of getting-to-know-you adventures, until everything works out in the end.

This book is more like a collection of short stories, like the Frog and Toad books, than a comprehensive story but it is held together by the first and last chapters which deal with the boy's missing parents. Some of the chapters are hilarious and had ds laughing out loud, like when Uncle put all his clothes on, on top of one another, and others were just so-so. The book was a little on the young side for him but he enjoys humorous stories and the reading level is spot on now. He is very confidant with Level 2s in this series now and I'm using the few we have left unread as an "easy" read for him. In conclusion, not our favourite Lobel, the story is a bit strange when you really think about it, but still an okay read. I love Lobel's illustrations and animal stories but prefer his earlier work. (5/5)
  ElizaJane | Jul 29, 2014 |

NO wear and ABSOLUTELY NO overstock/ remainder black marker slashes on page edges. BRAND NEW "I Can Read" hardcover containing 3 Lobel classics -- Small Pig, Mouse Tales, Uncle Elephant with complete text and illustrations., NEVER READ. NO dust jacket as issued! Glossy pictorial hard cover is bright and colorful -- it's PERFECT --Book looks just like picture -- NO shelfwear. You'll hear the book CRACK when opened!! - From a dry/smoke free environment --- Book has NO names, inscriptions, tears, highlights, underlines, dog ears, loose pages. An exceptional copy! GIFT QUALITY!! NOT ex-library book with markings. I ship daily. Carefully packaged with bubble wrap for the journey and I provide email verification at time of shipment. Delivered in 6 -14 days (Standard) or 3 - 6 days (Expedited)-- additional delivery time required for AK, HI and APO. Book will ship same or next day! Customer service and satisfaction is a priority. Know EXACTLY what you are buying with my detailed description -- Full disclosure on all books all the time! Read our feedback and buy with confidence from an Amazon Pro-Merchant. Double click on our name -RED BICYCLE BOOKS-- and find our STOREFRONT where you can see our complete and current inventory.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:45 -0400)

Because the farmer's wife insists on cleaning his mud puddle, a little pig runs away to the city where he becomes permanently stuck in what he thought was a mud puddle. Uncle Elephant comes to the rescue when his nephew's parents are lost at sea and cares for him until they are found again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible