The Magic of You (Malory Novels) by Johanna…

The Magic of You (Malory Novels) (edition 1993)

by Johanna Lindsey

9191014,370 (3.93)9
Member:mycswbooks
Title:The Magic of You (Malory Novels)
Authors:Johanna Lindsey
Info:Avon (1993), Edition: 1ST, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

The Magic of You by Johanna Lindsey

Summary
Amy Malory is soon to turn eighteen years old, and as the younger of her siblings, she is ready to find a husband. But she knows the man she will marry, even if he doesn't realize it....Warren Anderson. She has "feelings" and her feeling stronger than ever is that he is her future mate but she must convince him first, and she knows it won't be easy. Warren Anderson is bitter over the past and lost his faith in women except for his sister Georgie. When visiting his sister for the birth of his future niece, he is bowled over by the appearance of Amy Malory. At first Warren, doesn't think much of this young lady who is way too young for him, but when she begins to pursue him very persistently, he knows he is in deep trouble, because she could make him love again and Warren isn't sure he could handle it a second time and being burned again. But Amy is determined to bring love and laughter back into Warren's life no matter what it takes...
The Hero
Warren, is the second oldest in the Anderson family. He takes his responsibilities to his family and their shipping company very seriously. Warren has always had a temper, but was once not as cyncial and bitter as he is now. He once fell in love but the woman he loved married another man, his bitter rival and his baby was claimed by another man. Ever since, Warren has never been able to move past what happened and refuses to trust in another woman. Warren is a hero that is gruff and rugged, and has some hard edges. But is loyal and has a soft underbelly, if you get to the core of him. And he does have a wild temper, and anything sets him off, but its very amusing.
The Heroine
Amy Malory, is the daughter of Edward and Charlotte Malory. She is one of the most gifted of all the family. She wins on EVERY single bet she makes, and she "sense" certain things and the family has learned never to bet against her. She knows that Warren is her future, but she also knows that she is in the battle for her life with him. Amy is sweet and loveable, but bubbly and charming and can make just about anything feel lighter and happy. She has the type of personality that everyone wants to be around. She is probably one of my favorite characters of the whole series. I love how easy going she is, but at the same time is tough as nails as well.
Plot and Story Line
Oh The Magic of You, I will admit that I don't get a chance to read this book as often as the others. I really wanted to read this one, and had to hunt down a physical copy, because I want this whole series on my bookshelf and I finally found a copy after searching at all the local "Half Price Books" locations and finally found a copy, so I wouldn't have to buy it full price. $3 is alot better than $8. And I couldn't wait to get started with this book, which is one of my favorites and one of the more unique of books that Lindsey has written, or even in the historical romance genre. This story is where our heroine is the one doing the chasing and what a chase she does. She is pretty determined, this little minx and I loved her to death.
"You're quite sure you don't want to take advantage of these nice, soft seats? I know my younger uncles would never have passed up such an opportunity."
"Shut up, Amy."
"My cousins either. Derek and Jeremy would have a lady's skirts--was
"Amy!"

She clucked her tongue. "You're sounding more and more like a bloody prude, Warren."
"And you're sounding more and more like a dockside whore," he bit out.
Throughout the series we see more evidence of the power of her special "gift". In the beginning of this story, we see how long she has waited for Warren to return. She "knows" that he is for her. At first though, she acts pretty shy, which is unusual for her character, but Warren is a pretty intimidating hero. Not easy to get along with and very stubborn. Warren is actual the hardest to like out of all the Anderson siblings especially when it comes to the Malory brothers. But Warren is blown over by Amy and her determination to see them together. But Warren can't help but start to feel again whenever he is around her.

What I truly enjoyed about this book was seeing how creative Amy gets just to give Warren some laughter and passion in his life. And she is honestly the best heroine for Warren. I love that Amy never gives up on Warren, no matter how many times he tries to put her off, and it does pay off in the end though. We also see some fun antics from other characters. We have the births of Anthony and James' children, both girls and both will be characters in later books in the series. We have some fun times with Jeremy and Percy again, and yeah Percy still cracks me up every time I read his character. And we do get a fun bet between Jeremy and Amy--which is common between them. But Jeremy should know better, and I did like seeing how close knit these two cousins are again. We also see more of Edward and Charlotte, which we don't see enough of in my opinion, so I like seeing more of them. What really makes you fall in love with this book is seeing the way these two find their happy ever after, which isn't easy especially with an enemy of Warren coming back and cause more complications. This story is guaranteed to leave you with a smile and a tear in your eye. Simply loving reconnecting with this rambunctious and crazy fun family.
''I want you, Warren Anderson''
The Cover
There are multiple variations to this cover over the years, but this one is definitely my favorite, I love the house on the cliff...very dramatic which fits the story so well.
Overall View
The Magic Of You is wild and sexy and entertaining. Its a romance that will keep you guessing, laughing at the oddest moments, and sweep you off your feet. Be prepared to fall head over heels in love with these Malory's and Andersons and most especially this unique couple that captivates hearts and smiles.
“You aren’t going to be fighting with Uncle James anymore, are you?”
“Wouldn’t think of it. Now that he’s going to be my uncle, too, I’ve decided to show him nothing but respect”
“Good God. He’ll murder you” ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
This is one I have read more than once!
I was a bit bothered by the age of the heroine, but considering it is a historical romance I could semi-believe the story. It helped that I completely adored the heroine. She was funny and never gave up on her feelings for the hero despite what others might've said. I don't usually like reading about younger heroines as they can be immature and it is just not believable to me that they could truly be in love, but the heroine in this one was written so well that i couldn't help but adore and root for her. ( )
  odetteoswald | Dec 10, 2017 |
Amy Malory, niece of James and Anthony, and possessed of the black hair and cobalt eyes of their gypsy ancestor has set her cap for Warren Anderson, her new Aunt George's brother. And I do mean set her cap. She goes about seducing Warren out of his perpetually foul mood (due to being jilted and betrayed) with a single-mindedness that seems more suited to a modern day character than a Victorian British maiden of wealth and nobility. But, good on her, because it works out and everyone lives happily ever after. ( )
  EmScape | Oct 10, 2016 |

Merlington, LauralReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benita, Paulsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cooke, SherilynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Melinder, Sonjasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Renie, and the magic we all possess
Chapter 1
London, 1819

The barmaid sighed and sighed again, because the three handsome gentlemen, all young lords by the look of them, had requested no more than drinks from her, despite her best efforts to offer them her favors as well.

ONCE A MALORY...

Beautiful, mischievous and shamelessly daring, young Amy is a Malory through and through -- as wild and reckless as the most incorrigible of her male cousins. And now that she has reached a marriageable age, Amy has set her amorous sights on a most unsuitable mate -- the straight-laced American ship captain who once nearly had her Uncle James hung for piracy.

ALWAYS AN ANDERSON...

Still tormented by the past treachery of an unfaithful lover, handsome Warren Anderson is shocked by the brazen advances of his despised enemy's high-spirited niece. But his firm resolve to resist is weakened by an irresistible yearning for the enchanting British minx -- and an impassioned heart begs him to surrender to a love that threatens to stoke the smoldering fires of a perilous family feud.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380756293, Mass Market Paperback)

As wild and reckless as the most incorrigible of her male cousins, Amy Malory has reached a marriageable age and has set her sights on a most inappropriate mate: the straight-laced American ship captain who once nearly had her Uncle James hung for piracy.

Warren Anderson is shocked by the brazen advances of his despised enemy's beautiful niece. Though determined to resist her, he burns for the enchanting British minx. And an impassioned heart implores him to surrender to a love that could stoke the smouldering fires of a family feud into a dangerous, all consuming blaze.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:11 -0400)

Beautiful, mischievous and shamelessly daring, young Amy is a Malory through and through--as wild and reckless as the most incorrigible of her male cousins. And now that she has reached marriageable age, Amy has set her amorous sights on a most unsuitable mate--the strait-laced American ship captain who once nearly had her Uncle James hung for piracy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,441,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible