Fragment by Warren Fahy

Fragment

by Warren Fahy

English (61)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
A horror novel like no other. This book is especially scary for the people who are environmentally minded and have an interest/knowledge of biology. I have never had the "nuke it til nothing survives" mentality (being somewhat of a tree hugger) but this was so scary of a scenario that I figuratively had my finger on the red destruction button with no regrets. ( )
  hopebird | May 7, 2014 |
I was pleasantly surprised when I read Fragment.It will fool you in the beginning into thinking you are reading just another SYFY channel B novel.But be patient and read past the first chapter.You won't regret it.The characters in Fragment are more than in depth-they are lovable and/or hateable.In either case you will feel strongly about them and the outcome of the novel.For lovers of action,adventure,science fiction and science fact..Fragment will wisk you away and leave you sad to be brought back home in the end. ( )
  sorjuana | Jan 17, 2014 |
Lives up to blurbs: "...This is one hellva ride." I enjoyed travelling to Hender's Island safely in imagination and fantasy. Excellent descriptions of organisms on Hender's Island. I particulary liked the Hender's Disk Ants and Hendropods. ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Fragment is fast-paced, full of scientific detail and highly entertaining. If you like Michael Crichton books, then you will probably love Fragment.

Although more plot driven than character driven, there are some fun and interesting characters in this book. Nell is the underrated lady botanist (she reminded me a little bit of both Ellie from Jurassic Park and Jo from the movie Twister - which I just found out was also written in part by Michael Crichton). She's the one who first realizes just how dangerous Henders Island is.

Back in the states, one of the scientists holds discussions with the locals in his town in order to hash out new and somewhat heretical scientific ideas. When he sees footage of Henders Island on the television he thinks it's a hoax. His scientific insights provide a lot of the background information necessary for the reader to understand what is going on at the island.

Then there's the money-grubbing, sensationalist scientist who will do anything to remain in the public eye. He's the epitome of the character that everyone loves to hate. This guy is so annoying and evil that I was just waiting to see what kind of ill fate awaited him.

In some ways this novel was predictable. There are a lot of violent creatures on Henders Island, so it doesn't take a lot of brain power to figure out that some of the characters are not going to make it out alive.

The first half of the book was filled with scientific information that is need as background to set up the plot for the rest of the book. The over-abundance of scientific information can be a bit dry in sections, but was interesting and worth the effort when it came to understanding what was happening later in the book. Fact was blended so well with fiction that it was difficult at times (especially for a non-science person such as me) to tell where fact ended and fiction began. In this way Fahy's writing really reminded me of Crichton's, because his books had that same balance and blending of fact and fiction.

I was on the edge of my seat reading through the entire second half of this book. I'm not sure how probable the scientific side of this story is, but it certainly made for an exciting read.

As a side note, there are a lot of bug-like (and spider-like) creatures in this story. While I did enjoy this book, I do have a fear of anything bug-like (especially spiders) and so if this is ever made into a movie I know that I will be scared silly watching it. ( )
  akreese | May 16, 2013 |
Written by first-time author Warren Fahy, Fragment is being marketed by Bantam as the next Jurassic Park. You can see why - it's packed with hard science factoids, nonstop action, flesh eating monsters who would give Guillermo Del Toro nightmares, and characters as wooden as the trees slaughtered to mass market this book. I don't mean this as criticism exactly. The novel does exactly what it sets out to do: tell a rip-roaring yarn, and teach you some real science in the process. No, it's not a literary masterpiece. But you'll have fun while you're reading it.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (Jun 5, 2009)

'Anihinihi ke ola. (Life is in a precarious position.) -- Ancient Hawaiian saying
Captain, Mister Grafton is attemoting to put a man ashore, sir.

An unexplored island...
A discovery that could shape the fate of mankind...

Straight out of tomorrow's headlines, a heart-pounding adventure and a breathless, race-against-the-clock journey into the mysteries of science.

In this powerhouse of suspense — as brilliantly imagined as Jurassic Park and The Ruins — scientists have made a startling discovery: a fragment of a lost continent, an island with an ecosystem unlike any they've seen before... an ecosystem that could topple ours like a house of cards.

The time is now. The place is the Trident, a long-range research vessel hired by the reality TV show Sealife. Aboard is a cast of ambitious young scientists. With a director dying for drama, tiny Henders Island might just be what the show needs. Until the first scientist sets foot on Henders — and the ultimate test of survival begins...

For when they reach the island's shores, scientists are utterly unprepared for what they find — creatures unlike any ever recorded in natural history. This is not a lost world frozen in time, an island of mutants, or a lab where science has gone mad — this is the earth as it might have looked after evolving on a separate path for half a billion years...

Soon the scientists will stumble on something more shocking than anything humanity has ever encountered — because among the terrors of Henders Island, one life form defies any scientific theory — and must be saved at any cost.

Scientists have made a startling discovery: a fragment of a lost continent, an island with an ecosystem unlike any they've seen before... an ecosystem that could topple ours like a house of cards.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible