Astonishing X-Men By Joss Whedon & John…

Astonishing X-Men By Joss Whedon & John Cassaday Ultimate Collection -… (edition 2012)

by Joss Whedon (Author)

Member:EllenOrange
Title:Astonishing X-Men By Joss Whedon & John Cassaday Ultimate Collection - Book 1
Authors:Joss Whedon (Author)
Info:Marvel (2012), 320 pages

Astonishing X-Men: Ultimate Collection 1 by Joss Whedon (Author)

Comic books. Is there anything they can't do? Joss Whedon's applies humor and heart-wrench, the same as any other work, to another group of motley misfits with superpowers and lack of understanding. And it works. It works so well. You don't have to know more than a periphery of X-Men lore, but it helps. There's past history--like where Colossus is and Emma Frost's backstory--that's hard to understand if you only know the MCU. But that's why fan wikis are around. All the Whedon wit and charm is there. It feels like the best Buffy episodes.

Every panel of art is beautiful and makes you think, whatever John Cassady was paid, it wasn't enough. At times I felt like I wasn't paying enough attention to the panels so I was sacrireligizing the work. Some of them look like they should be wallpapers. However it does suffer from a common sickness of "too much content" in an image to tell what's going on and too many spreads.

The writing is not all it's cracked up to be. I always wonder how much the studio dictates and how much the writer does. I always imagine the studio's saying "you gotta refer to this, this, and this that happened fifty issues ago" and "you gotta bring your characters to this point by issue 25 because that's when we have our big crossover tie-in" and "Wolverine's getting a six-issue run with some new title we're trying to promote so don't write anything with the most popular and interesting character for six months." There are plot threads that cease developing, like a mutant cure, and the Breakworld aliens.

Nonetheless, this run is beautiful. It's all beautiful. ( )
1 vote theWallflower | Sep 21, 2017 |
Again, I don't think this is the right edition, but it seems to be as close as I can get here. Harumph.

I know. It wasn't so long ago that I said I was giving up on super-hero comics for now. But then this came up on my hold list and hope was restored.

And not in vain.

This was my first foray into the X-Men comics, so I was ignorant of any backstory that wasn't in one of the movies. (I'm referring here only to the trilogy and First Class, I'm steering clear of Wolverine for the time being). Still, I was hooked almost instantly. Part of it was the line-up -- familiar enough from the movies (Wolverine always squaring off against Cyclops) to be instantly engaging, fresh enough (Phoenix dead, Xavier absent, no Storm, lots more Emma Frost, Beast, and Kitty Pryde) to stay that way. The plot has some terrific sf elements -- truly difficult ethical issues, shadowy government agencies, the blessings and pitfalls of artificial intelligence.

So I guess I'm in now. At least for the rest of the Astonishing X-Men arc, and then probably for some additional forays into the X-Men 'verse as well. I don't know why I didn't think of this first, before the Avengers, (cough - Mark Ruffalo - cough), but really, X-Men has a reputation for delving into interesting ethical questions and one look at the line-up will make it instantly obvious how much better they do at strong women than most super-hero franchises.

Now I just have to wait for the next volume to come in. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I realy enjoyed this! A re-bith of the x-men. intelligent, witty, moving and a scary alien. ( )
  pgimmo | Nov 10, 2007 |

Whedon, JossAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is an omnibus collection of the original Volumes 1 and 2, and should not be combined with "Volume 1: Gifted".

In Gifted, Cyclops and Emma Frost re-form the X-Men with the express purpose of "astonishing" the world. But when breaking news regarding the mutant gene unexpectedly hits the airwaves, will it derail their new plans before they even get started? As demand for the "mutant cure" reaches near-riot levels, the X-Men go head-to-head with the enigmatic Ord, with an unexpected ally - and some unexpected adversaries - tipping the scales! In Dangerous, a tragic death at the Xavier Institute reveals a powerful enemy living among the X-Men that they could never have suspected - and no, it's not Magneto. Things heat up in a way none of the X-Men ever dreamed, but will teamwork save the day when they can't even depend on themselves? Collects Astonishing X-Men #1-12.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

Cyclops and Emma Frost re-form the X-Men with the express purpose of "astonishing" the world, but when breaking news regarding the mutant gene unexpectedly hits the airwaves, will it derail their new plans before they even get started? As demand for the "mutant cure" reaches near riot levels, the X-Men go head-to-head with the enigmatic Ord, with an unexpected ally tipping the scales.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,456,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible