Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski

Only Revolutions

by Mark Z. Danielewski

English (28)  French (1)  All (29)
Cannot finish this book. What. The. Fuck. I mean, seriously. How are you supposed to read this book, on acid? Perhaps that is the only way that this book makes sense. There's no proper prose to it, no storyline, no nothing. And what's with all herbs and fruits and vegetables being in bold print? I'm ashamed to say I couldn't continue with this book, I usually don't agree with reviews and do what I want but for once, I agree with them and can't carry on. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
I chose this book for the "book that scares you" square of book bingo. Not that it's a scary book in the sense that Danielewski's earlier book, House of Leaves was scary (one of my favorite scary books!). But because each page of this book has text in four separate blocks, two of which are upside down, with multiple fonts, font sizes and colors, and THERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE PUBLISHER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BOOK JACKET ON HOW TO READ THE BOOK. Also, the book is in verse.

So despite having loved House of Leaves, despite having heard Danielewski read from this book at the bookslut reading series and enjoying it, despite the lovely inscription Danielewski signed the book with, for sevenish years this book has sat on my shelves. Unread. Every once in a while I pick it up with the intention to wade in, only to nervously laugh "Uh, no," and put it right back down. I needed a good reason to get over that hump of uneasiness. Book bingo was that reason.

Now I'm a little scared to review it. I will leave everything out.

THIS IS NOT A NOVEL. It is written in verse. It is poetry. It is all metaphors and clever conceits and it is made out of ambition. It is also made out of symmetry and reference and REVOLUTIONS. Early on I felt like I would get bogged down if I tried to catch all of it, so I decided just to read it in whatever way was most enjoyable and ignore the rest. I did miss most of the side notes that way (the dates and historical context), but then I did appreciate what I did read.

It worked for me. All of it. The verse, the ever-shifting slang, the use of "all-" to replace "al-" in words beginning with those letters, so that alone becomes allone, always allways, so that you have to read even words on multiple levels. The flipping of the book every eight pages to read the same part of the story from the other person's perspective. And then, soon after the moment the two bookmarks pass each other in the middle, and now you're reading the other side of the same page you read before and realize there is an entire extra level of symmetry about the midpoint of the book...

It is impossible to describe all of this. But I loved it. It was wonderful. I know this wouldn't work for everyone, but I would recommend it to lovers of poetry and metaphor and archetypes. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Only Revolutions is at its heart a love story between two young kids, who with an ever-increasing number of cars try to outrun history - Sam going forwards from 1963 into the 21st Century and Hailey going from 1863 to 1963.

Written in a stream of conscious manner but poetically, the story is hard to summarise any more. Stylistically, the book is (as [book: House of Leaves}) post-modernist - every page has the two sides of the story on it but one is upside down; both ends of the book are at the same time the start and finish.

Aside from its conceptual weirdness, Only Revolutions is an interesting and perhaps challenging book to read but one to reward the reader who perseveres through the constant turning of the pages, of the book itself, and of history. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
What happens when someone wants to be the next Jack Kerouac meets James Joyce? Only Revolutions is what. I was looking forward to "SOMETHING AMAZING" since all of my friends were telling me that if House of Leaves was dinosaur, it would be a slightly milder t. rex. Perhaps! I haven't read it, but Only Revs is like the elimination of brontosaurus from dinosaur taxonomy. Neither should happened. ( )
  veranasi | Jan 17, 2014 |
The book - its plot is both a perpetual-motion machine and nonexistent - is baffling, quite possibly an elaborate folly that finds the author subordinating meaning to schema and human emotion to the presumed power of myth. But it's clear that Danielewski has an entrancing way with overrich wordplay . . .

You were there
"Because I'm slowing here. Because I fear the irreparable loss of holding someone dear."
"How is it though, with him close, I still feel so partial?"
We're the unmended, the untended,cold soldiers of the shoe. We're the neglected,the never resurrected, agonies of the few.We're the once kissed, unmissed and allwaysrefused. Because we're the unfinishedand feared and we're never pursued.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375421769, Hardcover)

Mark Danielewski's first novel House of Leaves is a cult-favorite--experimental horror fiction in a gorgeous (and newly remastered) full-color package. His new book Only Revolutions takes the experiment 10 steps further in a story about teenage lovers Hailey and Sam: the book is printed on two sides--one side tells the story from Hailey's point of view, flip it over and you get Sam's side (literally). We caught a glimpse inside the mind-bending new novel--take a look for yourself below.

Inside Only Revolutions

Hailey's Story
Covers
Sam's Story

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

Moving back and forth in American history, a kaleidoscopic novel follows Hailey and Sam, two wayward teenagers, as they crash New Orleans parties, barrel up the Mississippi, head through the Badlands, and take on other adventures.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible