The Perfect Lover by Stephanie Laurens

The Perfect Lover

by Stephanie Laurens

Series: Cynster Family (10)

Recently added byAMKee, kybunnies, grapeapril75, Hollie1122, lawsue, private library, HsLbry6441BVDr

Great book. I really enjoyed it. I just need to finish reading all of the Bastion Club books. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
I adore this series!! Stephanie Laurens is a master at the Alpha Rake!! I love the men pursuing their ladies!! Another fav in the series! These two are perfect for each other! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
The last time that I read a Stephanie Laurens' book I swore, "Never again." But, silly me, the lure of a 99¢ Kindle book and fairly good reviews caused me to fall off the wagon.

This is a perfectly ordinary old-friends-fall-in-love tale, told at a large house party (which I usually like), with a murder mystery thrown in for fun. Simon agrees to school Portia in the ways of love -- in the name of protecting her from rogues -- so there's lots of (what Dear Abby used to call) heavy petting, progressing into lots of heavy sex. But, good grief! These myriad love scenes go on and on and on, and I had to resort to just skimming through them to find out who the murderer was, even though it was rather obvious. Just look for the most unpleasant man in the goup.

Stephanie Laurens does not believe in using one word when seven or eight will do. Most distracting, though, she eschews the use of subjects in her sentences. Just skips them, leaves them out, annoys the reader, sometimes confuses the reader. Tops it off with a sentence fragment.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Cynster novel, [b:Devil's Bride|363499|Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)|Stephanie Laurens|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348213744s/363499.jpg|2524956]. Every one since then was just dreadful. Now I really, really mean it: no more Stephanie Laurens. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I was starting to fall out of love by this time. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
Reviewed by Bri

The Perfect Lover was a book I thoroughly enjoyed. Having read all the previous Cynster novels by Mrs. Laurens, this one didn’t let me down in the least. While the overall formula of rake must fight his own fears of love and convince the girl to marry him was there, the characters made it decisively different.

Portia Ashford and Simon Cynster, the last available Cynster, have been friends since birth. Both intelligent, prideful and stubborn they have played the games of dueling tongues for a decade. While Simon has a reputation for being, a rake and Portia a woman against marriage, choosing to spend her time on personal endeavors instead of trolling the ton that is until work in an orphanage helps her see the desire of family.

Attending Lady O, a character I always loved, a saucy, wise, revered woman of the ton, Portia decides to test her husband assessing abilities at a country party. Simon a family friends just happens to be attending at the same time. As sparks fly, and Simon always the protector, assumes his role only motivated in a different way murder and fear threaten Portia before either can decide what they feel.

Portia was different in this one in that she is extremely independent and intelligent to a fault. Over analyzing everything. Simon on the other hand isn’t the domineering conqueror of his previous Cynster sires. Oh the instinct is the there, but having been surrounded strong females Simon’s character rightly evolves with those influences and patiently waits for Portia to figure it out.

A must read, enjoyed it greatly.

http://www.romancing-the-book.com/2011/08/review-perfect-lover-by-stephanie.html ( )
  RtB | Aug 27, 2011 |

Stephanie Laurensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carr, Katiesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geiler, Ute-ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerweel, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060505729, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: England, 1835
Sensuality: 8

A wealthy and powerful rake of the English ton, Simon Cynster has known Portia Ashford, equally wealthy and well-educated, since they were children. By sheer chance, he decides it's time to find a wife at the same time that she decides she wants children and must find a husband. Knowing each other so well is both a blessing and a curse, for when it dawns on Simon that he's in love with Portia, he's well aware that she'll feel challenged by his protectiveness and wary of having her independence curtailed. For her part, Portia feels safe exploring her newly awakened sensuality with Simon, but she’s not at all sure that he'll make a suitable husband. While they're feeling their way through a minefield of turbulent emotions, they're distracted by several unexplained "accidents," and when a member of the weekend house party they’re attending dies, Simon is confronted with the urgent need to keep Portia safe from harm.

Readers who have followed Laurens's tales of the Cynster family will be delighted with this latest novel from the author, for it brings together the "last unmarried male Cynster of his generation" and the lady who was his childhood nemesis. New readers, as well as dedicated fans, will be intrigued by the well-crafted plot, impeccable English setting, and the charming cast of characters. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:04 -0400)

Simon Frederick Cynster is determined to find a wife. However, nothing could be more tiresome than having every blushing miss on the marriage mart thrust upon him. So he discreetly begins his search at a house party at Glossup Hall - and is astonished that the lady who immediately captures his interest is Portia Ashford.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible