The Perfect Lover by Stephanie Laurens

The Perfect Lover

by Stephanie Laurens

Series: Cynster Family (10), The Bar Cynster (10)

I heard so many good things about the Cynsters that I was happy to find this book. But what a disappointment.
I know this is part of a series, but if you have not read the other parts, you might be frightened away by all the people that are introduced in the first 10-20 pages - I had the feeling more people were introduced here than in War & Peace.
The whole story takes place in a 'weekend' but there a more days in this weekend than there usually are in a week.
All characters, including Simon and Portia, are cardboard - no depth to them at all. Portia is getting sex lessons from Simon and luckily she didn't get any homework assignments, otherwise nothing would have happened in the rest of the book either, now it was filled with a - very vague - murder mystery. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Simon Frederick Cynster is determined to find a wife and everyone knows this so he's hunted by marriage eligible women, mostly young girls, but he wants something more. When he goes to Glossup Hall to visit a friend who is having a house party he's hoping he finds something more, he doesn't expect Portia Ashford who is someone he's known since he was young, a person he didn't consider, she always seemed distant and aloof, but now she's attractive and interesting and he's finding himself wanting more from her.

The romance progresses but then a murder happens and things get interesting when it looks like Portia is the next victim.

It's not a bad read, nothing stand-out but fun. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 21, 2015 |
Great book. I really enjoyed it. I just need to finish reading all of the Bastion Club books. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
I adore this series!! Stephanie Laurens is a master at the Alpha Rake!! I love the men pursuing their ladies!! Another fav in the series! These two are perfect for each other! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
The last time that I read a Stephanie Laurens' book I swore, "Never again." But, silly me, the lure of a 99¢ Kindle book and fairly good reviews caused me to fall off the wagon.

This is a perfectly ordinary old-friends-fall-in-love tale, told at a large house party (which I usually like), with a murder mystery thrown in for fun. Simon agrees to school Portia in the ways of love -- in the name of protecting her from rogues -- so there's lots of (what Dear Abby used to call) heavy petting, progressing into lots of heavy sex. But, good grief! These myriad love scenes go on and on and on, and I had to resort to just skimming through them to find out who the murderer was, even though it was rather obvious. Just look for the most unpleasant man in the goup.

Stephanie Laurens does not believe in using one word when seven or eight will do. Most distracting, though, she eschews the use of subjects in her sentences. Just skips them, leaves them out, annoys the reader, sometimes confuses the reader. Tops it off with a sentence fragment.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Cynster novel, [b:Devil's Bride|363499|Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)|Stephanie Laurens|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348213744s/363499.jpg|2524956]. Every one since then was just dreadful. Now I really, really mean it: no more Stephanie Laurens. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Stephanie Laurensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carr, Katiesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geiler, Ute-ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerweel, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my readers near and far who have followed the Cynsters from their first appearance to the present.

You most truly are the wind beneath my wings.
Hell and the devil!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060505729, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: England, 1835
Sensuality: 8

A wealthy and powerful rake of the English ton, Simon Cynster has known Portia Ashford, equally wealthy and well-educated, since they were children. By sheer chance, he decides it's time to find a wife at the same time that she decides she wants children and must find a husband. Knowing each other so well is both a blessing and a curse, for when it dawns on Simon that he's in love with Portia, he's well aware that she'll feel challenged by his protectiveness and wary of having her independence curtailed. For her part, Portia feels safe exploring her newly awakened sensuality with Simon, but she’s not at all sure that he'll make a suitable husband. While they're feeling their way through a minefield of turbulent emotions, they're distracted by several unexplained "accidents," and when a member of the weekend house party they’re attending dies, Simon is confronted with the urgent need to keep Portia safe from harm.

Readers who have followed Laurens's tales of the Cynster family will be delighted with this latest novel from the author, for it brings together the "last unmarried male Cynster of his generation" and the lady who was his childhood nemesis. New readers, as well as dedicated fans, will be intrigued by the well-crafted plot, impeccable English setting, and the charming cast of characters. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:07 -0400)

Simon Frederick Cynster is determined to find a wife. However, nothing could be more tiresome than having every blushing miss on the marriage mart thrust upon him. So he discreetly begins his search at a house party at Glossup Hall - and is astonished that the lady who immediately captures his interest is Portia Ashford.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,744,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible