A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

A Vintage Affair

by Isabel Wolff

English (71)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (73)
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would; I really hated to put it down. While the writing is nothing spectacular, the story is suprisingly multi-faceted and moving. I'm no connoisseur of vintage clothes, but the descriptions of the garments were vivid and beautiful and the story of Therese and her blue coat was really touching. Much more than just a love story! ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
When I read The Secret Lives of Dresses, a member of my online reading group suggested this book. She was right!

Not only does this book make you like the characters (I really want to hang out with Annie and slap the face of Roxy), it makes you want to scour the local boutiques for some vintage pieces to mix and match with your everyday wear. So many designers were named that I was sure Wolff made them up. I felt compelled to Google them, and was pleasantly surprised that they were all real! This was a winner for me, and highly recommended.
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
[A Vintage Affair] is a light novel, much like the cup cake prom dresses, entertaining and true to the period with a deeper tale of conflicts. It is a tale of twos. Phoebe and Emma, best friends split by a man when it mattered the most. Therese, in World War II and the blue coat which haunts her throughout her life. Phoebe who refuses to listen to her ex-lover Guy because she can't face the truth, Miles who can't see his daughter for what she really is and how she manipulates his life.
Wolff captures her characters and the feelings they have that move the story forward or fill in the necessary bits and pieces. She is able to balance a number of threads of activity and characters at one time as well as weave through the book the magic of vintage clothes.
Posted Review
May 31, 2015 ( )
  pmarshall | May 31, 2015 |
I really enjoyed A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff, a romance story set against the vivid backdrop of a vintage clothing shop. The descriptions of the vintage clothing was almost sensuous as she fills in the details of fabrics’ texture, colors and design features. This is a heart-warming and witty story that was pure escapism, the author tells a touching, feel-good story without the story bogging down in too much sentimentality or sweetness.

Although I started the review by calling this a romance story, really there is less emphasis on the romance and more on the actual story. There were a lot of things about this book that I liked. The main character was a mature woman of thirty-six, she was living an interesting life and finding a man wasn’t her number one priority. Instead the book explored themes of friendship, grief and loss as well as learning how to forgive yourself for actions that were at the most thoughtless or uninformed rather than deliberate or vindictive.

This was the first book I have read by Isabel Wolff, but I am certainly going to be adding her to my list of authors that I would like to read more of. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 23, 2015 |
I just couldn't get into this one. It seemed to be a charming read, but it just wasn't grabbing my attention. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
What a strange power there is in clothing. - Isaac Bashevis Singer
In memory of my father.
"...seven-teen, eight-teen...nine-teen...twenty! Coming!" I yell.

Description From Early Reviewers Page:

Every dress has a history. And so does every woman.

In Isabel Wolff’s captivating A Vintage Affair, a treasured child’s coat becomes a thread of hope connecting two very different women.

Her friends are stunned when Phoebe Swift abruptly leaves a plum job at the prestigious Sotheby’s auction house to open her own vintage clothing shop in London—but to Phoebe, it’s the fulfillment of a dream. In the sunlight-flooded interior of Village Vintage, surrounded by Yves Saint Laurent silk scarves, Vivienne Westwood bustle skirts, cupcake dresses, and satin gowns, Phoebe hopes to make her store the hot new place to shop, even as she deals with two ardent suitors, her increasingly difficult mother, and a secret from her past that casts a shadow over her new venture.

For Phoebe, each vintage garment carries its own precious history. Digging for finds in attics and wardrobes, Phoebe is rewarded whenever she finds something truly unique, for she knows that when you buy a piece of vintage clothing, you’re not just buying fabric and thread—you’re buying a piece of someone’s past. But one particular article of clothing will soon unexpectedly change her life.

Thérèse Bell, an elderly Frenchwoman, has an impressive clothing collection. But among the array of smart suits and couture gowns, Phoebe finds a child’s sky-blue coat—an item with which Bell is stubbornly reluctant to part. As the two women become friends, Phoebe will learn the tale of that little blue coat. And she will discover an astonishing connection between herself and Thérèse Bell—one that will help her heal the pain of her own past and allow her to love again.

Therese Bell, an elderly Frenchwoman, has an impressive clothing collection. But among the array of smart suits and couture gowns, London dressmaker Phoebe finds a child's sky-blue coat--an item with which Bell is stubbornly reluctant to part. As the two women become friends, Phoebe will learn the tale of that little blue coat. And she will discover an astonishing connection between herself and Therese Bell--one that will help her heal the pain of her own past and allow her to love again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible