A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

A Vintage Affair

by Isabel Wolff

English (67)  Spanish (1)  All languages (68)
I just couldn't get into this one. It seemed to be a charming read, but it just wasn't grabbing my attention. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
I kind of loved this book. I don't know how it got on to my to-read list, I have no idea what list or person I pulled it off of, but it was fun! The fashion is beautiful, the story was nice, the only thing I would have changed is that I would have had more of the character of Dan in it. I seriously wanted to know him better! ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Este libro es uno de los libros que me han marcado. Sus dos temas principales son los dos temas sobre los que me gusta leer: la moda y la guerra. Y me parece apasionante que sea posible fusionarlos en un libro tan conmovedor, que engancha desde la primera palabra.
  Nataliadigital | Oct 15, 2013 |
A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff was an enjoyable read. The story-line of Phoebe Swift and her new vintage clothing store is fun and interesting. The descriptions of the vintage clothing, who owned them and how they came to be at the shop were very engaging. There was much more to this story than you would first expect.

I liked Phoebe; she was a kind character who struggled with past mistakes. Her clothing store connects her with an elderly French woman, Mrs. Bell. Among the items that Mrs. Bell wishes to sell to the store is a blue coat that was made by Mrs. Bell's mother. Through the story of this blue coat, the reader learns about a tragic incident that happened to Mrs. Bell, as a child, during World War II, an incident that Mrs. Bell has never forgotten nor forgiven herself. There is a bond between these two women, as their stories, though very different, are very much the same in many respects.

As much as I liked the book, there was something that was lacking. The author took a turn with Phoebe's friend's story, Emma, that I found somewhat unbelievable. Without giving anything away, I just thought, had the author kept her story on track, it would have made more sense and had more of an impact. This definitely influenced my opinion of the rest of the novel.

I was also hoping for a different outcome with Phoebe's love interests, and her parents' relationship. Despite some of these weaknesses for me, it was a book worth reading. If I could have, I would have rated it with 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  2LZ | Jun 6, 2013 |
This was an incredible story and not exactly what I was expecting.
The story centers around Phoebe who has just fulfilled her dream of opening her own vintage clothing shop. Her life isn't completely happy; however, because she's still trying to deal with the loss of her best friend. She blames her ex-boyfriend for reasons that aren't explained till the end of the novel.
A side-story involves a French woman who contacts Phoebe to sell some of her vintage clothes. Phoebe visits her and while browsing through all of her beautiful clothes she discovers a seemingly out of place children's blue jacket. The woman decides to share her story involving life during WWII for the first time in her life with Phoebe. The two are able to help each other by sharing their stories and being able to move on with their lives.
It was truly a beautiful story. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
What a strange power there is in clothing. - Isaac Bashevis Singer
In memory of my father.
"...seven-teen, eight-teen...nine-teen...twenty! Coming!" I yell.

Description From Early Reviewers Page:

Every dress has a history. And so does every woman.

In Isabel Wolff’s captivating A Vintage Affair, a treasured child’s coat becomes a thread of hope connecting two very different women.

Her friends are stunned when Phoebe Swift abruptly leaves a plum job at the prestigious Sotheby’s auction house to open her own vintage clothing shop in London—but to Phoebe, it’s the fulfillment of a dream. In the sunlight-flooded interior of Village Vintage, surrounded by Yves Saint Laurent silk scarves, Vivienne Westwood bustle skirts, cupcake dresses, and satin gowns, Phoebe hopes to make her store the hot new place to shop, even as she deals with two ardent suitors, her increasingly difficult mother, and a secret from her past that casts a shadow over her new venture.

For Phoebe, each vintage garment carries its own precious history. Digging for finds in attics and wardrobes, Phoebe is rewarded whenever she finds something truly unique, for she knows that when you buy a piece of vintage clothing, you’re not just buying fabric and thread—you’re buying a piece of someone’s past. But one particular article of clothing will soon unexpectedly change her life.

Thérèse Bell, an elderly Frenchwoman, has an impressive clothing collection. But among the array of smart suits and couture gowns, Phoebe finds a child’s sky-blue coat—an item with which Bell is stubbornly reluctant to part. As the two women become friends, Phoebe will learn the tale of that little blue coat. And she will discover an astonishing connection between herself and Thérèse Bell—one that will help her heal the pain of her own past and allow her to love again.

Therese Bell, an elderly Frenchwoman, has an impressive clothing collection. But among the array of smart suits and couture gowns, London dressmaker Phoebe finds a child's sky-blue coat--an item with which Bell is stubbornly reluctant to part. As the two women become friends, Phoebe will learn the tale of that little blue coat. And she will discover an astonishing connection between herself and Therese Bell--one that will help her heal the pain of her own past and allow her to love again.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,331,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible