The personal history of Rachel DuPree by Ann…

The personal history of Rachel DuPree (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Ann Weisgarber

Member:countrylife
Title:The personal history of Rachel DuPree
Authors:Ann Weisgarber
Info:London : Pan Books, 2009.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:P.US areas - badlands, T.1910s, P.US states - South Dakota, {cover-member, Read 2012, Black Americans, family, homesteading, .historical fiction, Read, E.audio-playaway

The Personal History of Rachel DuPree by Ann Weisgarber (2008)

An African American couple struggles for survival while homesteading in the Badlands.
  yellerreads | Jul 25, 2014 |
I usually enjoy books about enduring and overcoming hardship, but for some reason this particular story didn't move me much. I did enjoy the symbolism of Rachel's pregnancy, however. The baby she is carrying represents the ultimate choice that she makes in regard to her life in the Badlands, and more importantly, her marriage. ( )
  silva_44 | Aug 25, 2013 |
I loved this book from the first words! To have gone through all that this woman and her family went through was amazing and sad. She believed that by marrying Isaac she would rise above her current life as a maid only to still be one in a worse way. I believe she loved him but he did not love her, she was a means to an end. It took a lot of courage for her to finally get out and to take her children away from a life that would never get better. ( )
  GrannyNanny | Apr 29, 2013 |
interesting and sad for the hardship
  asyouth | Apr 20, 2013 |
The Personal History of Rachel Dupree by Ann Weisgarber is written so vividly and with such intensity that I felt that I was living her life as I read.

I picked this book because my grandmother and grandfather homesteaded in South Dakota in the same time period. They were discouraged by extremes of the climate and moved back to Indiana when my great grandmother offered them a house. There was no hesitation about their decision.

But this book is much more than the struggle to survive Mother Nature’s extremes. It asks the question of what is important in life. What life should you make for your children? It deals with racism, the work ethic, survival and marriage. All the themes are strong and thought provoking.

The book opens with a gripping scene. Rachel’s daughter Liz will be lowered down a well. There has been a terrible drought and extreme water rationing. Liz is only six years old and she is being forced to save her family’s life. The well is almost completely dry. Liz doesn’t want to go. Her father, Isaac insists. Her mother was praying that God take care of Liz. She begs Isaac not to do it. When four buckets and a part of another have been filled by the little girl, she is hauled up. Her hands are bleeding, she has been crying, her clothes are torn. Later it seems that she is vacant, she stares, and she doesn’t want to do anything. Should any child be forced to do this? This is just one of the poignant scenes in this book. This book immersed me in the times and places and the feelings of this homesteading family.

I highly recommend this book. I will never forget this story. I hope that you will read this book. And even though my grandmother never had to face racism at its worse, I now have a deeper understanding of why my grandparents quit homesteading after several years. ( )
1 vote Carolee888 | Jan 10, 2013 |
We Can; We Will!

Motto of the Ninth Cavalry

Again, I think it would be somewhat different
if it weren't for the wind. It blows and blows
until it makes me feel lonesome and so far away
from ... Illinois.

Oscar Michenaux,
South Dakota homesteader
For my husband, Ronald L. Weisgarber
I still see her, our Liz, sitting on a plank, dangling over that well.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670022012, Hardcover)

An award-winning novel with incredible heart, about life on the prairie as it's rarely been seen

When Rachel, hired help in a Chicago boardinghouse, falls in love with Isaac, the boardinghouse owner's son, he makes her a bargain: he'll marry her, but only if she gives up her 160 acres from the Homestead Act so he can double his share. She agrees, and together they stake their claim in the forebodingly beautiful South Dakota Badlands.

Fourteen years later, in the summer of 1917, the cattle are bellowing with thirst. It hasn't rained in months, and supplies have dwindled. Pregnant, and struggling to feed her family, Rachel is isolated by more than just geography. She is determined to give her surviving children the life they deserve, but she knows that her husband, a fiercely proud former Buffalo Soldier, will never leave his ranch: black families are rare in the West, and land means a measure of equality with the white man. Somehow Rachel must find the strength to do what is right-for herself, and for her children.

Reminiscent of The Color Purple as well as the frontier novels of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Willa Cather, The Personal History of Rachel DuPree opens a window on the little-known history of African American homesteaders and gives voice to an extraordinary heroine who embodies the spirit that built America.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:33 -0400)

It is 1917 in the South Dakota Badlands and the summer has been hard. Rachel and Isaac DuPree had left Chicago fourteen years ago to stake their claim. Isaac, a former Buffalo Soldier, is fiercely proud: black families are rare in the West, and black ranchers even rarer. But it hasn't rained in months, the cattle are bellowing with thirst, and supplies have dwindled. Struggling to feed her family, Rachel is isolated by more than just geography. She is determined to give her surviving children the life they deserve, but Isaac will never leave his ranch: land means a measure of equality with the white man. Rachel must find the strength to do what is right--for her children, for her husband, and for herself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible