A Code of Jewish Ethics: Volume 1: You Shall…

A Code of Jewish Ethics: Volume 1: You Shall Be Holy

by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin

wishlist
  cavlibrary | Jan 29, 2014 |
NO OF PAGES: 559 SUB CAT I: Ethics SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: All societies have ethical codes that distinguish between right and wrong actions. For Jews, this is especially significant since Judaism ranks behavior as more important than belief. Behavioral prescriptions are set forth in sacred writings, anecdotes, medieval codes, rabbinical teachings and present-day stories. Telushkin?scholar, author, lecturer, teacher and rabbi?is compiling this voluminous material in order to help Jews "become more honest, decent, and just people." He plans to present his research in a three-volume series of which You Shall Be Holy is the first. Its primary emphasis is character development, while later volumes will deal with interpersonal relationships and issues of family, friendship and community. This installment is divided into five sections: the task of a lifetime; basic vices and virtues; fair speech; leading a holy life; God and ethics. Basic vices and virtues take up 257 pages, by far the longest section. Here and in the section on fair speech, there are especially stimulating discussions of when hatred and lying are permissible. Telushkin is definitive in his judgments about what is right and wrong behavior. This is an outstanding contribution to understanding Jewish ethics and their relevance for people of all faiths.NOTES: Purchased from the Amazon MarketPlace. SUBTITLE: You Shall Be Holy
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
A great study in both historical and current Torah-Talmudic commentary. Accessible. ( )
  chriszodrow | Jun 28, 2010 |
Although not Jewish, I have recently been drawn to Judaism - and this book has encouraged that.

The book is intended for Jews, though a non-Jew like myself, can benefit greatly from it. In matters of ritual, instructions for a Jew and non-Jew may be very different. In matters of ethics - of doing the right thing - what is right for a Jew is right for a non-Jew and vice-versa. What's right is right.

One thing I've learned from this book, is that what's right is not always obvious. Rabbi Telushkin discusses so many nuances to every subject covered that I gained great insight on things which before reading, I felt pretty confident that I understood. One can always gain from further study.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to become a better person. And now I must begin reading volume two. ( )
1 vote fingerpost | Nov 29, 2009 |

The first volume in a three-part guide to the role of ethics in Judaism focuses on the crucial importance of personal integrity--and such corollaries as humility, fair speech, gratitude, repentance, forgiveness, truth, and others--using examples from the Torah, rabbinic commentaries, and modern-day stories to illustrate the influence of ethic on everyday life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,322,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible