Blood Bayou by Karen Young

Blood Bayou

by Karen Young

A story of mystery and suspense and of a love between two people that was never lost. As the "About the Author" states: "Karen believes that showing her characters' faith journey, in addition to the physical, intellectual, and emotional aspects of their lives, enhances and adds meaningful depth to her books." I think she did this very well in this story.

Camille Vermillion has been divorced from her husband, Jack, now for 7 years. But after a man is convicted of murder, that she help set free from prison, Camille will find herself once again coming into close contact with her ex-husband, Jack. Jack has changed a lot since getting out of prison. He has now become a pastor in the town where the murder has taken place. Camille must convince Jack and the town that the real killer is still out there. Someone wants Camille to stop her quest and her searching for the killer, and will stop at nothing to silence her.

I found myself feeling pretty good as I figured out the "bad guy" quicker than usual. It was a good story to read and watch the mystery unfold, but I especially enjoyed watching Jack and Camille and the romance that was always there, get re-ignited once again. ( )
  judyg54 | Oct 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a wonderful book to read! It really kept you going to try and figure out if the wrong person was convicted or if someone else did the crime. Just enough love story to keep it interesting! ( )
  seasaw432 | Aug 4, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Camille is convinced that the wrong person has been convicted of a horrendous crime and she does everything possible to prove her point. I enjoyed the relationship of Camille and her ex-husband as they learned to forge a working relationship while attempting to find the real murderer, all the while gradually repairing old wounds and allowing for a new future together.

This book grabbed me from the onset and I found it suspenseful and riveting. I finished it the same day. It was my first time reading anything by Karen Young and and I have had very mixed results on reading Christian fiction. In this case, it was more of an undertone and although it didn't add to the story for me, it didn't take away from it either. ( )
  osulittlemomof2 | Aug 3, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The "Blood Bayou" was a great beach read; full of suspense, redemption and intrique. I enjoyed the pace of the book, which kept me engaged throughout. Although, I was able to determine the killer about half-way through, I still didn't want to put it down. I knew nothing about Karen Young prior to this book, but I plan to see what else she has written. ( )
  afmarble | Jul 30, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not read any other of Karen Young's books but after reading Blood Bayou, I plan on searching them out. It was a unique twist on the 'clear the clueless fellow' plot - and a rather good one! There are a significant number of potential bad guys, a few good yet tarnished folks and a very interesting dead gal. The characters are quite well-defined and interesting, their interactions fun to participate in.

My only drawback, and thus the 4 instead of a 5 rating is that I figured out the 'whodunit' rather early in the book. I'm not sure why because it definitely wasn't obvious, but I would have prefered to be guessing until over halfway through. Even with that, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and definitely recommend it to mystery lovers! ( )
  mawshimp | Jul 29, 2009 |

Seven years ago, tragedy ended the troubled marriage of Camille and Jack Vermillion. Now, as head of the Truth Project, her life safe and orderly, she focuses her lawyerly skills on freeing wrongly incarcerated individuals on death row. Jack paid a bitter price for his mistakes. No longer a high-powered corporate attorney, he's now pastor of a small church in Blood Bayou. Unsure of her own beliefs, Camille is highly skeptical of the conversion of this man she hasn't seen in seven years. Then tragedy strikes again. Jack's sister is murdered, apparently by a prisoner Camille has set free. To prove his innocence, Camille must return to Blood Bayou. But that means facing the hostility of the town - and Jack.

Camille St. James questions her judgment when she advocates on behalf of a criminal who is later implicated in a brutal murder that unites Camille with her ex-husband, who has become a minister and hopes to make amends.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Karen Young's book Blood Bayou was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible