A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My…

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Molly Wizenberg

Member:Leslie.Schmidt
Title:A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table
Authors:Molly Wizenberg
Info:Simon & Schuster (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg (2009)

This book will live quite contently among your cookbooks, though it is a memoir. The writing is fresh and intimate, the story quite lovingly told without being "cheesy" (a Molly Wizenberg word, for sure), with exquisite recipes begging to be tried out and eaten. Couldn't put it down. Better still, we don't really ever have to. Visit her blog Orangette and eat to your heart's content. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Well I must admit to being delightfully surprised by this book. I thought I was getting myself into another blog turned to paper. I bought this book figuring I would sell it right away and make some of my money back but instead I feel like I made a friend and an expanded recipe collection. Molly Wizenberg is sweet and her writing delightful. I think I want to make all but one recipe - and this is just because I don't eat fish.

I loved how the book so greatly illustrates that there is more to cooking then food....family and love play such a huge part. Moments of our lives can be tied to and wrapped around dishes.

I would recommend this book to those who are beginning their own family traditions around meals...and those who love cooking and good food!

I will not be selling this book any time soon...too many new recipes to try out. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
A Homemade Life is the author's life told through her most memorable dishes. From her childhood in Oklahoma City through college in California and Paris, to her adulthood in Seattle, Wizenberg cooked and ate a lot of food. The stories behind those that were most important or symbolic for her form the individual chapters of the book. Some of them sound delicious. Luckily for us then that the recipe is included at the end of each one. We watch the author grow up, go to Paris, and eventually find love in the form of a vegetarian musician. The story is almost as satisfying as the food.

Overall, a successful memoir, as it makes me want to both meet the author and eat her food. The book reminded me a bit of My Berlin Kitchen only much less whiny. If you're trying to pick between the two, pick this one. Recommended for those who love foodie memoirs, good storytelling, or dream of visiting Paris. ( )
  inge87 | Dec 12, 2013 |
Often the transition from popular blogger to book author doesn't go smashingly well on the first try, but Wizenberg's 'Homemade Life' is a clear exception. This might be the first food memoir/recipe collection where, once I completed reading it, I actually wanted to cook AND eat (yes, those are distinctly separate categories for me) every single recipe in there. The short story format is also nice--kind of like the literary version of good tapas. I probably would have given her a five, but the boyfriend came off as a little TOO perfect so the tiny cynic in me took her down a notch. If that chocolate cake recipe works out, I may reconsider. ( )
  dele2451 | Nov 20, 2013 |
I read A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg right on the heels of finishing A Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender. While Wizenberg's book is a memoir, and Bender's book is fantasy, thematically they belong together.

Wizenberg begins her book with her father and his death from a particularly nasty cancer. Her parents (especially her father) had loved to cook at home and from scratch (except, oddly, for the box pancakes). So it is through her memories of food that the author celebrates her father and finds herself.

Now the book's description puts its emphasis on Wizenberg's trip to France. It sounds like she was fleeing her responsibilities to mourn. The actual memoir though, doesn't spend that much time on the few months she spent there. Instead, most chapters are centered on a specific recipe and the stories behind it. There will be the description of how to make the dish, the people she associates with the recipe and a story that defines her memories of it. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 12, 2013 |
We know we are shining, / Though we cannot see one another.

-- James Wright
FOR MORRIS J. WIZENBERG,

ALSO KNOWN AS BURG
It started when I was a freshman in high school.

Author of the internationally famous blog, Orangette, Molly Wizenberg recounts a life with the kitchen at its center. From her mother's pound cake, a staple of summer picnics during her childhood in Oklahoma, to the eggs she cooked for her father during the weeks before his death, food and memories are intimately entwined.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible