Star Wars: Deathtroopers by Joe Schreiber

Star Wars: Deathtroopers (edition 2009)

by Joe Schreiber

Member:geoffgibbs
Title:Star Wars: Deathtroopers
Authors:Joe Schreiber
Info:Arena (2009), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:***
Tags:star wars, sci-fi

Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber

A friend recommended this book to me nearly three years ago. I finally picked up a copy, and it was a blast! Oh, the days when you could throw iconic characters into any situation you wanted! As long as Han doesn't die in the end, you could write just about any kind of story.

Thus we have zombies in spaaaace! And Star Wars! It was a fun and a quick read. For those who like this kind of thing, you are likely to enjoy it as much as I did. Things moved along quickly, sufficient explanations were offered, and our heroes escaped to return to the canonical Star Wars universe. Although I have to think Han might have ended up with PTSD from this one. ( )
  bespen | Feb 25, 2017 |
Zombie Storm Troopers. Cool idea until - as seems to happen in all Star Wars novels - popular characters from the movies are implausibly thrust into the action. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Author Joe Schreiber wrote a pretty nasty Star Wars film. Expecting some kind of adventure at the start, I got a horror movie.

Two brothers, Trig and Kale, are on a prison barge that is broken down, overcrowded and full of cutthroats and murderers of all species. Even a few political prisoners. Not sure exactly where they were being transported to, but it was interesting how Trig and Kale deal with the Mafia-style crime bosses, including cutting a guy's face off!

I mean, what did they expect after that?

When needing repairs the barge captain discovers an abandoned Imperial Star Destroyer and they send some crew on board to get parts for their disabled barge. The subplots with Dr. Cory, there because she has to be, the security guard that feels sympathy for some prisoners and the underground crime syndicate that is operating while the stormtroopers look the other way was interesting.

At this point pretty much all the other subplots are dropped in favor of the horror story. I'm not sure that was such a good idea.
Then the author drops it all!

Most of the rest of the book is dealing with zombies -- a new bio-weapon was developed on this Star Destroyer and it inadvertently turned the 1000 plus crew into undead zombies. The virus continues the muscles to move and synapses to fire, even though nobody's home.

There are some particularly gruesome scenes as the boy's meet their formerly dead father and other identities that they try to communicate with but all the zombie wants to do is eat their brains and suck their marrows dry!

And guess who we run into on the barge as most of the crew die? Han Solo and Chewbacca! They pretty much take over the story.

The ending I won't reveal but let's just say it's rushed and leaves more questions than answers. I want to know what happens with that abandoned destroyer. Does the Empire have another store of this virus? Who was the target? How is it delivered and controlled?

And does Dr. Cory find true love?

Bottom Line: Story is easy to read and develops relationships well, but then abandons the plots developed at the start with a horror story of a bio weapon that turns dead people into flesh-eating creatures and rushes through that too. An interesting read, but no need to seek this out.

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
the first foray into the Star Wars universe that is outside the typical fantasy/action genre. A prison ship goes derelict next to a dead star destroyer. Turns out there is some sort of plague, genetically engineered zombie ceator thingy and just about everyone buys the farm. Han Solo and Chewbacca are in the prison ship and they and 2 others escape. I guess this was supposed to be creepy and scary, but it came across as hack to me. Telling me that a corridor seems to go on forever, instead of making me feel the character's terror, makes me feel like they are a complete idiot. Nothing in the story interested me, and having Han and Chewie thrown in for a connection came across as very weak and lame. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This is a surprisingly fast read, especially compared to its prequel, Red Harvest - which I'm digging my way through now. Where Harvest is a plodding tale of Sith intrigue, Troopers is a fast-paced "zombies in a haunted house" story...on a Star Destroyer. With a pair of well-known characters making an oddly reasonable supporting turn, I was hooked enough to finish the whole book in one session. By contrast, I'm having trouble making it through more than a chapter or two of Harvest at a time. Maybe the pace will pick up... ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
Descriptive, but could have used more action worth describing. Some of the character development was hollow, and there is little in the way of conflict resolution. A fun book if you like zombies and Star Wars, but if you don't like books about either, this probably isn't for you.
added by Schirano | editMe, Matt Schirano (Oct 10, 2001)

The nights were the worst.

When the Imperial prison barge Purge breaks down in a distant, uninhabited part of space, its only hope appears to lie with a Star Destroyer found drifting, derelict, and seemingly abandoned. But soon after a boarding party returns from a scavenging expedition, a horrific disease breaks out and takes the lives of all but a half-dozen survivors whose only option forces them to return to the Star Destroyer--and the soulless, unstoppable dead waiting aboard its vast emptiness.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,938,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible