Color Blind by Jonathan Santlofer

The second book in the Kate McKinnon series follows our heroine as she tracks another serial killer. This one leaves paintings behind at the scene of the crime rather than modeling his actual crimes on them. Kate thinks they are the product of an outsider artist and takes forever to figure out the guy is just color blind. Admittedly, Kate also has a lot going on personally for a reason I can't reveal in a review and which, to be blunt, made me angry.

Just as in The Death Artist, Kate must unravel the mystery before she becomes the murderer's next victim. And just as with The Death Artist, the concept of tying art into the story of a crime is intriguing but the execution falls short. Santlofer's McKinnon series seems somehow contrived. Yet in spite of this, I kept right on reading. Maybe I wanted a resolution to my frustration. Maybe I wanted to see if Kate would ever pick up the pace in interpreting the clues. Maybe I was just thinking about the fact that the third book in the series was sitting there waiting for me. I'm not quite sure, but I did keep reading.

The bottom line is much the same. This isn't a series I would put at the top of your reading list, but feel free to give it a whirl if it happens across your path. Perhaps you'll find I've been too harsh. Unfortunately, I've read far too many well-constructed and smart mysteries lately to cut Kate McKinnon much slack. ( )
  iubookgirl | Sep 8, 2010 |
I loved this book and read it in hopes of getting his second book in review. Just love this new author. ( )
  chaoscat60 | Oct 6, 2007 |
I know I should have read the first book first, but I am notorious for reading things out of order. I'm glad I did read this one first though, since I have since tried reading the other book and have had a hard time sticking to it.

I enjoyed the use of colours in this thriller and the use of art as I have always had an interest in art history. While reading I had such wonderful images in my head. ( )
1 vote Jebbie74 | Jul 28, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060541059, Mass Market Paperback)

Kate McKinnon is back -- and this time it's personal. When two hideously eviscerated bodies are discovered and the only link between them is a bizarre painting left at each crime scene, the NYPD turns to former cop Kate McKinnon, the woman who brought the serial killer the Death Artist to justice. Having settled back into her satisfying life as art historian, published author, host of a weekly PBS television series, and wife of one of New York's top lawyers, Kate wants no part of it. But Kate's sense of tranquillity is shattered when this new sequence of murders strikes too close to home. With grief and fury to fuel her, she rejoins her former partner, detective Floyd Brown, and his elite homicide squad on the hunt for a vicious psychopath known as the Color-Blind Killer. In her rage and desperation, Kate allows herself to be drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse. She abandons her glamorous life for the gritty streets of Manhattan, immersing herself in a world where brutality and madness appear to be the norm, where those closest to her may have betrayed her -- and where, in the end, nothing is what it seems.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

"When two hideously eviscerated bodies are discovered and the only link between them is a bizarre painting lieft at each crime scene, the NYPD turns to former cop Kate McKinnon. Having settled back into lifeas an art historian, Kate wants no part of it. But Kate's sense of tranquility is shattered when this new sequence of murders strikes too close to home. In rage and desperation Kate allows herself into the deadly game of cat and mouse. She abandons her glamorous life for the gritty streets of Manhattan, immersing herself in a world where brutality and madness seem to be the norm, where those closest to her may have betrayed her - and where, in the end, nothing is what it seems."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible