The Shortest Distance Between Two Women by…

The Shortest Distance Between Two Women

by Kris Radish

This was a pleasant and enjoyable read with a good message, although it was a bit too long -- the author tends to belabor her points with overuse of multiple parallel sentences. It's a story about four sisters and their widowed mother, living in a small town in South Carolina and dealing with various problems while also planning a giant yearly family reunion. The protagonist, Emma, is the youngest and quietest of the sisters, and the only one who's single. The book opens with her finding a message on her answering machine from an old boyfriend. The typical novel of this kind would bring the guy to her in about the middle of the book, and they'd be together at the end. Ms. Radish doesn't write it that way, and her book is the better for it. The book has good messages about family and about being yourself. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book was terrible. I am shocked that it has as many stars as it has. The story over all, was a cute story, but the writing was SO annoying!!!! I was close to putting this book down and I never do that. Most of the characters were completely horrible, I disliked just about every one of them. And the writer had this annoying habit, that appeared half way through the book, where she would pick a phrase like "My mother didn't go there because..." and start about 10 paragraphs with that same phrase. And this would happen every 4 pages or so. The same story could have been written but another author and have been a great read, as it was it was just torture. ( )
  jlouise77 | Jul 18, 2012 |
This is the third book I've read by this author and unfortunately it will be my last. The present tense writing style made reading this book feel like slogging through a mud pit, as did the repetitive use of multiple paragraphs starting with the same two words.

That being said, I wanted to finish the book because I did care about the characters and wanted to see how their stories unfolded. However, this, too, left me disappointed. ( )
  artwench | Apr 12, 2012 |
I was very disappointed in this book and have to agree with the majority of the other reviews. It is poorly written, the main character is not a character I would want to identify with and it ends too suddenly.

I was really looking forward to reading this book because I thoroughly enjoyed a previous book of her's, Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn. It had everything this book lacks. ( )
  mamabear54 | Aug 30, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Early Reviewers program. While it does drag on and become repetitive in many instances (she mentions the damn family reunion almost every other line), overall it's an ok book about the ties between mothers and daughters, and the ties between sisters that hold families together, for right or wrong.

I liked the second half of the book a lot more than the first half. ( )
  ThePinkPanther | Nov 16, 2009 |

The Gilford family's yearly reunion encompasses the lives of matriarch Marty Gilford and her four daughters, especially youngest daughter, Emma, 43, who has spent a good part of her life doing whatever her mother and sisters want without really thinking of herself. Then Samuel, a voice from her past, calls up to rekindle their romance and throws Emma's well-ordered life into turmoil. Emma is forced to do some tough self-examination and to embrace her sisters for who they are - good and bad.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shortest Distance Between Two Women by Kris Radish was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible