Fire and Ice: A Beaumont and Brady Novel by…

Fire and Ice: A Beaumont and Brady Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by J. A. Jance

Member:KittyMommy
Title:Fire and Ice: A Beaumont and Brady Novel
Authors:J. A. Jance
Info:William Morrow (2009), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Mom, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:mom, mystery

Fire and Ice: A Beaumont and Brady Novel by J. A. Jance (2009)

Another series crossover story between Special Investigator J P Beaumont out of Washington and Cochise County Sheriff Joanna Brady in Arizona. Each is investigating homicides in their own areas, but it’s pretty far into the book before any connection is made between the two.

On Joanna’s end we’ve got a man who manages an ATV park, found dead after purposely being run over a number of times. Detective Jaime Carbajal is having a difficult time with the nephew he took in when Jaime’s sister disappeared. Elder abuse is another topic when an Alzheimer’s patient goes missing from a private facility. And Joanna is nervous as she’d promised to be the Best Man at her former chief deputy’s upcoming wedding.

On Beau’s end there’s a possible break in the case of unidentified women found wrapped in a tarps in the woods with their bodies burned. The latest body is different in that the killer didn’t pull all of her teeth, allowing them to make an identification, which provides the tie-in to Joanna’s area.

The story is told jumping back and forth between what’s going on in each area. I’ve been doing a marathon read of Joanna’s series and if I didn’t have at least familiarity of at least one of these series, I’m not sure I would have liked this story as much as I’ve enjoyed the others. As it is I’ve read a prior crossover book between these series, so it’s not as jarring.

As always, the character building is well done and the investigations and twists are interesting. I love following what’s happening in Joanna’s personal life as well as the challenges she faces with different personnel through work.

But unfortunately we’re missing a conclusion to the homicides as well as the elder abuse case. We do learn who killed the last victim in Washington and why, but don’t get to witness a takedown, which as it turns out will be handled by the DEA, which doesn’t happen by the end of the book. Perhaps that thread is picked up in the next book? But I was left with a feeling of being cheated that none of the things being investigated included an arrest.

Read from a library book. ( )
  dearheart | May 5, 2014 |
Can't wait to read this- I even have it signed by J.A.Jance herself!
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
“Fire and Ice” by Jance was not my favorite mystery or detective story. The issue of elder abuse and the lack of oversight in nursing facilities, particularly those who care for Alzheimer's and dementia patients being one central theme was a good start and the idea of identification by dental record being used is a common practice. However, in this book, J.P. Beaumont’s investigation of the ongoing murders revolving around the Mexican Cervantes Cartel did not ring true and did not hold together for me. There were to many loose ends and the story was a bit jumbled to follow the story lines. The cross over of jurisdictional lines between local police and the FBI is a situation often described in mysteries but there was not complete development or clarification of this conflict. It may be that there were too many stories within the story and non completely developed. “Fire and Ice” was an enjoyable book and at places well done, but overall it was an average read. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Apr 26, 2011 |
Another interesting crossover between Jance's two main series -- the Seattle-set J.P. Beaumont series and the Arizona-set Joanna Brady series. The story, itself, is fairly strong -- definitely character driven, with the harder-edged Beaumont investigating the latest victim in a series of prostitute murders, and Sheriff Brady involved with both a rural murder of an ATV park caretaker and growing evidence of malfeasance at an Alzheimer's care facility. However, when Beaumont's latest victim turns out to be the sister of one of Brady's officers, the separate casts of characters get the chance to interact. The Beaumont series is written in first person limited and the Brady series in third person omniscient, and for this audio adaptation Hillary Huber does the Brady sections and Erik Davies does the Beaumont. Both are very competent narrators. However, my only two complaints are that there were far too many plot threads left hanging at the end of the story; and I found myself vaguely put off by Davies' attempts to "feminize" the female characters' voices -- it sounded very fake. Overall, though, a good adaptation of a very good novel.

Originally reviewed for my local library's website: http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/depts/bookguide/srec/staffrec10-02.htm ( )
  cannellfan | Jan 16, 2011 |
Joanna Brady and J.P. Beaumont are working together again on a case. Includes smuggling, prostitution, and murder. Jamie's sister is murdered. Another book that leaves you hanging with no resolution for the perpatrators. Just walk away.
  azroadrunner88 | Dec 4, 2010 |
For Larry Denver and Ken Wallentine, the real deals

And for Hal Witter, the real deal, too
Driving East on I-90, Thomas Rivera was surprised to see the snow spinning down out of a darkened sky in huge fat flakes that threatened to overwhelm the puny efforts of the 4-Runner's hard-working windshield wipers.

Six women have been murdered and their bodies wrapped in tarps and set afire, their bodies scattered around in dump sites in Seattle.

Big-city homicide detective J. P. Beaumont and small-town sheriff/mom Joanna Brady join forces once again to solve a case involving a series of murders--six young women wrapped in tarps, doused with gasoline, and set on fire; and one elderly caretaker run over and left to die.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible