The Siege by Stephen White

Authors:Stephen White
Info:Signet (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:Recommended by Bill

The Siege by Stephen White

Sam Purdy is attending an engagement party for his girlfriends daughter when the daughters fiance's sister is taken hostage at Yale. Sam becomes involved with FBI Agent Purdy and CIA analyst Dee to try to figure out the motive for the hostages being taken. The book takes awhile to get going but once events start happening at Yale it becomes gripping. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
I struggled with this review much like I struggled with the novel.

I wanted to like this book even more since it takes place in New Haven, CT at Yale University. I live a few miles from the University and have many friends and acquaintances that are employed there.

The concept for the story is captivating. Someone takes over a building where one of the Yale secret societies is housed. Numerous Yale students are held hostage as the hostage taker proves that they mean business and then make their demands known.

We follow the story from multiple points of view. With over thirty characters, I found myself getting confused. Some parts of the plot grabbed my attention but others seemed like fillers. I wondered why these parts were added to the story and what was their purpose.

Sam Purdy, a suspended Boulder cop, was a character I enjoyed but I wasn't sure about FBI agent Christopher Perry or how he got the authorization to be a part of the investigatory team.

Stephen White is an acclaimed author and I look forward to reading more of his novels. ( )
  mikedraper | Feb 3, 2015 |
Such a great book. If you enjoy Sam Purdy as a side kick, you'll love him as a lead. ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
All of Stephen's books are great, but this one is the best yet... gives lots of things to ponder for sure... kept me guessing as to how things would turn out...

Mr. White has a real flair for developing his characters which is one reason that I enjoy reading his books so much. I feel like I actually get to know them.

This book is definitely worth reading in a post 9-11 world! ( )
  SpiritedTruthSeeker | Aug 5, 2014 |
Kidnapping thriller set at Yale. One POV of the story is completely irrelevant, a red herring I suppose. In the beginning the different POVs are on different timelines, which is disconcerting, but they come together after a while. No literary awards here, but a lot of ideas to consider.
  annodoom | Jun 12, 2013 |
Stephen White worked as a psychologist before becoming a mystery and thriller author, and it shows in his work. He’s always trying to draw psychologically rounded characters who become grist for the mill of the more typical elements of his chosen genres. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn’t, but it almost kills his latest novel, The Siege, before making it oddly rewarding. White’s devotion to character development is welcome in this genre, but he sometimes indulges in too much of a good thing.

But now, God knows,

Anything goes.

—Cole Porter

1934
to Xan
You may be tempted to ignore these words.

http://www.authorstephenwhite.com- As a lovely April weekend approaches on the Yale campus it appears that a number of students — including the sons of both the Secretary of the Army and newest Supreme Court Justice — may have suddenly gone missing. Kidnapping? Prank? Terrorism? The authorities aren't sure. No demands are made. But the high profile disappearances draw the attention of the CIA and the FBI's vaunted Hostage Rescue Team. Attention quickly focuses on the fortress-like tomb of one of Yale's secret societies.

Suspended Boulder police detective Sam Purdy is minding his own business in Miami, where he is attending the engagement party of his girlfriend's daughter. The wealthy mother-of-the-groom to-be, Ann Summers Calderon, pulls Sam aside to confide that she's received an ominous warning. When Ann's daughter, a Yale junior, fails to arrive in Florida for her brother's festivities, Sam soon finds himself on a private jet to New Haven, where he is quickly snared by an unlikely pair of Feds. FBI agent Christopher Poe and CIA analyst Deirdre Drake each have their own reasons to fear, and seek, whoever is behind the mystery. Sam, Poe, and Dee join together, desperately trying to solve the riddle of what is going on inside the windowless Ionic stone tomb on the edge of campus.

The clock is pounding in their ears. The unknown enemy is playing by no known rules. . . Is making no demands . . . Is refusing to communicate with the hostage negotiator. . . Is somehow anticipating every FBI move. . . Is completely unconcerned about getting away. . .

And . . . one by one, is sending students out the building's front door to die.

Suspended Boulder police detective Sam Purdy joins forces with the CIA and the FBI to investigate a number of high-profile disappearances at Yale University that may have ties to a campus secret society.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,946,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible