Vanilla Ride by Joe R. Lansdale

Vanilla Ride (2009)

by Joe R. Lansdale

Series: Hap Collins and Leonard Pine (7)

175None67,645 (3.98)2
Recently added byfabio1969, private library, Stahl-Ricco, stringbeanjean, WWCCLibrary, tockenboom

Great book! Great action, awesome dialogue, and kick ass characters! Hap and Leonard rule! Brett too! And Vanilla Ride is not too shabby either! Only thing keeping this from being a 5 star for me is Hap's whining about who he is and what he does! Embrace it man! You rule! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 22, 2014 |
Synopsis: Martin's granddaughter has gotten involved with druggies, so Hap and Leonard bring her back to her family. In the process there is lots of action, gun battles and the normal mayhem. In trying to extricate themselves, Hap and Leonard make the acquaintance of a hit person, Vanilla Ride.
Review: This is one of the better Hap and Leonard books. There is just enough action and very little whiny introspection. Fun to read. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 3, 2014 |
Always interesting to read Lansdale. One of my personal favorites ( )
  theballisflat | Jul 23, 2013 |
If Joe Lansdale is holding anything back in his writing, I don't want to know what it is. If I did, it would probably be something that would stick in my head and periodically: a) give me the shivers; b) keep me awake; or c) make me throw up for the rest of my life. There is a stream-of-consciousness quality to the parade of absurdities, insanities, and obscenities that make up this and Lansdale's other Hap and Leonard books. There is also an story telling skill that I would pit against any writer alive or dead. I think if you locked Lansdale in a room for a weekend, he could produce a better novel than anyone else around.

So what about the book itself? If you have read any of the previous volumes in the series, you know what to expect. Over the top violence, lots of blood and guts, dead bodies in various configurations, bad jokes that are still funny, and a friendship that crosses boundaries of race, sexual orientation, and common sense. There are also the expected misdirections and plot twists before we get to the finale, which turns all philosophical on us.

If you're new to Lansdale and you can get past the first few pages, you'll be hooked. If you're already a fan, you know you won't be able to put it down. ( )
  datrappert | Jan 24, 2011 |
Fun read. Want to read more ( )
  pharrm | Nov 23, 2009 |

Joe R. Lansdaleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conti, LucaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The pistol is the devil's red right hand.
-Steve Earle
Man turns everything into a weapon. Even his tongue.
-Hap Collins
Per tutti i fan di Hap e Leonard.
Siete dei ben strani tesori.
Da un bel pezzo non mi sparava più nessuno, e negli ultimi due o tre mesi ero riuscito anche a conservarmi la testa tutta intera. Si trattava di una specie di record e cominciavo già a sentirmi speciale.

"There's no bullshit in a Joe Lansdale book. There's everything a good story needs, and nothing it doesn't.
Joe pulls up the truck, says, 'Get in the back, we're going for a ride.'You know it might get a little
scary and it might get a little crazy, but you get in, because you know in the end, it's going to
be a fun ride."--Christopher Moore, New York Times Bestselling Author of A Dirty Job and Fool

In this Texas-sized thriller, Hap Collins and Leonard Pine—best friends, freelance troublemakers, and tough guys with good intentions—find themselves in the crosshairs of the Dixie Mafia.

Hap is an East Texas smart mouth with a weakness for southern women. Leonard is a gay, black veteran pining for a lost love. They’re not the makings of your typical dynamic duo, but never underestimate the power of a shared affinity for stirring up trouble and causing mayhem. When an old friend asks Leonard to rescue his daughter from an abusive, no-good drug dealer, he gladly agrees and, of course, invites Hap along for the fun. Even though the dealer may be lowly, he is on the bottom rung of the Dixie Mafia, and when Hap and Leonard come calling, the Mafia feels a little payback is in order. Cars crash, shotguns blast, and people die, but Hap and Leonard come out on top. Unfortunately for them, now they’re facing not only jail time but also the legendary—and lethal—Vanilla Ride, who is still out to claim the price on their heads. Full of twists and turns, gunfire and gaffes, this hilarious, rip-roaring novel will have readers turning the pages faster than a Texas tornado.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:24 -0400)

In this Texas-sized thriller, Hap Collins and Leonard Pine--best friends, freelance troublemakers, and tough guys with good intentions--find themselves in the crosshairs of the Dixie Mafia and the lethal Vanilla Ride after an old friend asks Leonard to rescue his daughter from an abusive, no-good drug dealer.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible