dismiss

The Unsung Hero

by Suzanne Brockmann

Series: Troubleshooters (1)

"After a near-fatal head injury, navy SEAL lieutenant Tom Paoletti catches a terrifying glimpse of an international terrorist in his New England hometown. When he calls for help, the navy dismisses the danger as injury-induced imaginings. In a desperate, last-ditch effort to prevent disaster, Tom creates his own makeshift counterterrorist team, assembling his most loyal officers, two elderly war veterans, a couple of misfit teenagers, and Dr. Kelly Ashton-the sweet "girl next door" who has grown into a remarkable woman. The town's infamous bad boy, Tom has always longed for Kelly. Now he has one final chance for happiness, one last chance to win her heart, and one desperate chance to save the day.… (more)

Navy SEAL Lt. Tom Paoletti is returning to his hometown of Baldwin’s Bridge, Massachusetts to recuperate from a serious head injury. His behavior has been somewhat erratic and he's suffering from headaches and dizziness. As soon as he arrives at the airport he spots a man who he believes to be a presumed dead terrorist known as The Merchant. He contacts his superiors but they think he's suffering from paranoid delusions brought on by his injury. Even Tom begins to doubt what he saw, but when the man turns up around town a few more times, Tom becomes more and more convinced it is The Merchant and that he's there to plan a bombing.

Dr. Kelly Ashton is back in Baldwin's Bridge to nurse her father, Charles Ashton, who has cancer and only has a few months to live. The Ashtons and the Paolettis have been next-door neighbors and sixteen years ago they were friends, and almost lovers.

Another story thread features Tom’s niece, Mallory, who is followed in the park one day by a shy, geeky young college student named David Sullivan who wants to photograph and sketch Mallory for his graphic novel's heroine, Nightshade.

There is a whole lineup of Suzanne Brockmann’s Navy SEAL romances. I read a couple a few years ago and they are set all over the world. Sure, some of the characters are stereotypes, but the romances are both sweet and sexy. I plan to read a few more in the future.

1442 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Whoa. Really involved subplots and three to four to boot. Which made up for the somewhat lackluster Central romance. Still, perfectly enjoyable and fine ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann
Book #1 in The Troubleshooters series.
Rating: 4 Stars

Synopsis:
This is the first book in the series focusing on Tom Paoletti and Kelly Ashton.
On a mission to rescue an ambassador's wife, Tom receives a life-threatening head injury. Forced to take recuperation leave, Tom travels home to see his uncle Joe and is reunited with an old flame. He also spots someone he believes is an international terrorist. Is he right? and if so, what is the target?
Two additional side stories are also included. One revolves around Tom's Niece, Mallory, and a geeky boy who wants to draw her. The second involves a love triangle between Tom's uncle, Kate's father, Charles, and a woman in the French resistance during World War II.

Review:
The complex plot with its multiple story lines is handled very well. Some of the stories are more detailed than they need to be but this does not detract from the main romance. The characters are engaging, especially Kelly's father and Mallory's geeky beau, David. The element that I enjoyed the most was the excellent and well timed dialogue. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
The story was very good; however, I thought it dragged a bit in parts.

3.5 **** ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |
This was a big surprise and nothing like I expected it to be. At times I think the WW II flashbacks and Charles struggles with cancer overshadowed Tom and Kelly's story, but I really didn't mind. Charles' time behind enemy lines, his friendship with Joe, and the way his experience affected the rest of his life was very engaging. I also enjoyed Mallory and David's story, even though it was probably more of a plot device. All three stories were nicely done and held my interest easily. I thought the sub-plots tied into the main premise nicely, but the ending did feel a little rushed.

The Characters: I really felt sorry Charles as he carried a tremendous amount of regret. I did like how the author resolved his storyline. It was very fitting for his situation and his character. Tom and Kelly frustrated me a bit with their inability to communicate clearly, but I still enjoyed reading their story. Just like in real life, not every romance comes together easily. I thought Mallory was the strongest female character in the story, outshining Kelly in maturity and common sense. I didn't dislike Kelly, but she seemed to struggle with her emotions and choices much more. I think it's justifiable though, considering all that was on her plate.

Overall a very enjoyable read. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

Brockmann, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For the brave men and women who fought for freedom during the Second World War. My most sincere and humble thanks.
Prologue
Spring

When both the Seahawk and the pilot took a direct hit, things went from bad to worse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,861,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible