Must Love Hellhounds by Ilona Andrews
Other authors:Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Meljean Brook
Info:Berkley Trade (2009), Edition: X, Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Kindle

Must Love Hellhounds by Ilona Andrews (Contributor)

The Brittingens Go to Hell by Charlaine Harris~
Didn't read this installment in the book. I've tried to read Harris in the past but could never really get into her. So I decided to skip this one.

Angels' Judgment by Nalini Singh~ 4/5
This is a short prequel story to Singh's Guild Hunter series. It features Sara Haziz right before she decides to accept the Guild Hunter director job. Its basically a "how they met" story about how Sara and her husband, Deacon, got together. I pretty much loved this story.

Sara and Deacon are assigned the job of finding out who is behind a spurt of vampire slayings in the area. Signs point towards it being a hunter who has gone rogue. However, things begin to get complicated when one of the archangels decides to test the potential new guild director.

Like most of the things I've read from Singh, this was pretty fabulous. However, places felt a little rushed. Singh had several good plot threads going that could've easily carried a book length story. Great installment for fans of the series.

Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews~ 3/5
This story is the one I bought the book for. I've been wanting to get into Andrew's Kate Daniels series but I wanted to do a trail run first. So I decided to start with this short story which is set in the same world.

Andrea Nash works for the Knights of Merciful Aid and has been taking care of things while Kate recovers from an injury. After receiving a call about an enormous dog terrorizing a shifter, Andrea heads out to investigate. What she finds is Raphael, a hyena shifter, being chased by a three headed dog the size of a house. The Cerberus is there because someone stole the body of a person who worshiped Hades. Now Andrea and Raphael have to find out who, why, and how to get rid of the giant dog.

I was pretty pleased with this. The setting and characters were interesting. I enjoyed the dystopian-ish tone of the story. It was also nice to see that Andrews has crafted a world with strong female characters. The only reason why I'm giving it a 3 is because it lagged in some areas for me, but I'll definitely be checking out [b:Magic Bites|38619|Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)|Ilona Andrews|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1257727888s/38619.jpg|38381].

Blind Spot by Meljean Brook~ 3.5/5
I've only read one book so far in Brook's Guardians series, so I was excited to read a short story set in the same world. One thing I have to say about Brook is that she has a pretty dense writing style. She packs a lot of depth into her stories and I love that.

Blind Spot features Maggie "Winters" Wren as she tries to track down Colin's, her employer, kidnapped niece. First, however, she has to retrieve Geoff, Colin's nephew. Geoff is blind, but has the ability to see through other people's eyes. He had been using his talent in an attempt to find his sister until he was attacked and chained to a heat register. After being rescued by Maggie, Geoff makes a deal that has them working together to find his sister.

Great short story. Geoff was an interesting character and I enjoyed his ability. However, Maggie really stole the show for me in this one. She reminded me of Jeeves from [a:P.G. Wodehouse|7963|P.G. Wodehouse|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1198684105p2/7963.jpg]'s novels if he had been a trained assassin. Pretty kick-ass if you ask me. Can't wait to read more from this series ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Angel's Judgement - Nalini Singh - 3 Stars - Very good story. Sara is indeed going to be a fine director and what a man she has in Deacon! ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 10, 2014 |
sort of boring if you don't follow the series. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
Thought the Charlaine Harris story was terrible, mainly because she has tried to establish an entirely new universe and characters in a short story, which doesn't allow the characters or story to have any depth (this is in NO WAY a Sookie story and feels like an entirely different author, and contains no links to the Sookie universe).

Loved the Ilona Andrews story, from Andrea's POV, and now I can't wait until [b:Gunmetal Magic|12288282|Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)|Ilona Andrews|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1331230049s/12288282.jpg|17264774] comes out. ( )
  cherrybob_omb | Sep 23, 2013 |
I didn't read the Harris entry because she isn't an author I normally read. I tried, but didn't get into the story. The other 3 entries were wonderful, though.

cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Andrews, IlonaContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brook, MeljeanContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, CharlaineContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Singh, NaliniContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Knese, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Batanya and Clovache were cleaning their armor in one of the courtyards of the Britlingen Collective, which sits atop a hill in the ancient city of Spauling. (The Britlingens Go to Hell)
The Cadre of Ten , the archangels who ruled the world in all the ways that mattered, met in an ancient keep deep in the Scottish Highlands. (Angels' Judgment)
I sat in a small, drab office, one of many in the Atlanta chapter of the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, and pretended to be Kate Daniels. (Magic Mourns)
That morning, two hours after she received an anonymous e-mail that included an address and a short message, Maggie Wren boarded a flight from San Francisco to New York.
(Blind Spot)
Short stories in anthology:

The Britlingens go to Hell by Charlaine Harris
Angels' Judgment by Nalini Singh
Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews
Blind Spot by Meljean Brook

"In these hound-eat-hound worlds, anything goes... and everything bites. Follow paranormal bodyguards Clovache and Batanya into Lucifer's realm, where they encounter his fearsome four-legged pets, in The Britlingens Go to Hell. Seek out a traitor in the midst of a guild of nonlethal vampire trackers, one that intends to eradicate the entire species of bloodsuckers, in Angels' Judgment. Find out why the giant three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hades has left the underworld for the real world -and whose scent he's following - in Magic Mourns. Join a vampire's butler in the perilous search for her employer's niece, aided by a blind - and damn sexy - companion and a hellhound, in Blind Spot."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,735,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible