The color of Earth by Tong-hwa Kim

The color of Earth (edition 2009)

by Tong-hwa Kim, Alexis Siegel, Lauren Na, Min-ho Hwang

Member:ValainaLalaith
Title:The color of Earth
Authors:Tong-hwa Kim
Other authors:Alexis Siegel, Lauren Na, Min-ho Hwang
Info:New York : First Second, 2009.
Collections:S571 Books
Rating:*****
Tags:10th+, Historical Fiction, Korea, coming of age, sexual awakening, mothers and daughters

The Color of Earth by Dong Hwa Kim

3P (9) 4P (12) 4Q (12) 566Spring2013Week3 (31) 566Spring2014Week3 (15) 5Q (11) comics (9) coming of age (54) family (12) fiction (22) graphic novel (116) historical fiction (26) Korea (65) Korean (10) LIS566-3P (10) LIS566-4P (11) LIS566-4Q (14) love (13) manga (14) manhwa (29) mothers and daughters (13) puberty (9) romance (26) sexuality (24) YA (17) YA566-3P (9) YA566-4P (25) YA566-4Q (17) YA566-5Q (18) young adult (12)

I don't know about a preteen or teen audience, but as an adult I found it really fantastic. Incredibly good drawing and layout, and conception. The topic is frank and earthy, to be sure, and so it might not be for a shy young girl. But I loved it. ( )
  Laura400 | Jun 14, 2014 |
VOYA Ratings: 3Q, 3P

This graphic novel by Kim literally paints beautiful images of the sometimes funny and often confusing journey through adolescence as experienced by the character of Ehwa, a young girl living with her mother in a rural village in Korea. Typical to the genre of graphic novels, there are times when the humor is raunchy and crude yet this feel appropriate given the ages of the characters as they stumble through the natural exploration of their maturing bodies and sexuality. This humor is punctuated with occasional sweeping full-page scene of a lone figure in a pastoral setting. This serves to add a somber and emotional tone to the story as experienced by Ehwa and adds visual appeal for the readers. ( )
  abrial2433 | Jun 8, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this manga. It's rare to have an honest, funny discussion and exploration of sexuality in manga. Also, this humanizes another culture and provides a fairly detailed experience a girl has with growing up in Korea, interacting with males, and learning about her body. I liked that it was historical fiction and loosely referenced some of the societal pressures of being a mother raising a daughter on the outskirts of a town. I read the whole trilogy because they had me hooked. I think the manga will make readers chuckle at the young girl's concern about learning she doesn't have a gouchou.
  superlibrarian88 | Jun 7, 2014 |
Lorem ipsum
  postapocalypso | May 2, 2014 |
3Q, 2P

The book was written just fine. However, the genre just isn't that appealing to me and I think that only a certain amount of youth patrons will find an interest in these types of books. Still, I enjoyed how the story was split up into sections that coincided with Ehwa's stages of puberty. Still, I found it a bit slow and rather difficult to get through. Reading graphic novels is always an arduous task for me though, so my opinion may not be the best one to look at for this book. ( )
  lmrayvon | Apr 29, 2014 |
Golly!

In a timeless village in rural Korea, young Ehwa and her widowed mother live quietly together, best friends and confidantes. With each year that passes, Ehwa blossoms into a young woman as the spring rains bring a new glow to the verdant landscape around them. More changes come with the spring: a chance meeting with a young monk stirs new emotions in Ehwa's heart, and a mysterious artist becomes the first man to catch her mother's eye since Ehwa's father died. As Ehwa discovers love and desire for the first time, her mother learns to open her heart again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible