The Wicked One by Danelle Harmon

The Wicked One (edition 2001)

by Danelle Harmon

Member:theshadowknows
Title:The Wicked One
Authors:Danelle Harmon (Author)
Info:Avon (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Historical
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2001, historical romance, england, georgian, 1777, enemies, uptight hero, antiheroine, antagonist in prequel, warrior heroine, espionage, hero held captive by heroine, shotgun wedding, avon, own, paperback

The Wicked One by Danelle Harmon

It was with great pleasure I returned to this delightful series. The author doesn’t play favorites in this tale of the turmoil between the British and Americans who were seeking freedom and justice for its citizens. Emotions high on both sides make men do the unthinkable.

On deck of the Tigershark, splattered in blood with gore at my feet, mangled bodies with severed limbs…my captain down, I was helpless, defeated, despairing. With my hears still ringing, I lifted my eyes from the page, drying my face of tears and sea spray and swallowed hard. What prey tell, could be worse and how were we to survive? Yes, dear reader, these are my feelings. This I saw, heard and felt. It's wonderful when a writer can transport the reader in this way.

Ms. Harmon’s style of writing and scene progression is totally riveting. She’ll show us what happens, but doesn’t tell us the outcome. So no point is a convenient stopping point—I had to know what was to come. Besides writing great battle scenes, in detail, Ms. Harmon tantalizes our senses with a scene where Lady Narissa discovers the feel of a man’s body with her fingers and hands, in her innocent fashion.

On both sides of the Atlantic, Brits and American were made of strong fabric. Those who had been downtrodden, as our hero, Captain Ruaidri O' Devir, learned to fight for what they want, or in this case, for who he wanted. Ruaidri is a man much changed since last we read of his exploits earlier in the series. But does his past come to haunt him when he realizes his love for Lady Nerissa?

Reader, certainly there is merit in such a man: opinionated, driven, with a powerful physique, yet beneath this veneer an Irish heart of love and passion.

There comes a time in a person’s life, if encaged, even though a gilded one, the spirit of the individual must spring free. Lady Nerissa feels her worth is in her lineage and dowry her person possesses. But she’s always had a wayward spirit smothered with the trappings of breeding and convention. Once she realizes her situation and reputation are ruined by being abducted, it gives her the freedom to choose her path. But by doing so, will she lose her family, those who matter most in her life?

Even though I knew what Lady Nerissa would do to save the day, (and she did a splendid job of it), it nevertheless, did not reduce the thrill of her heroine action. If I were she, I would do the same. Love of another pushes her forward, to do the unthinkable. I cheered her on. Bravo, Lady Nerissa!

I cannot say enough about this author and this series. Her books are rich in history, full of action and suspense and with the added layer of romance, they are perfection. Don't delay reading her. This book is the final in the series. If you'd like to see my reviews of each book in the series, please browse my blog. ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Mar 14, 2016 |
I scarfed these down like candy. Harmon's de Montforte brothers are each delicious, and every book is better than the last. Unfortunately, most are out of print, but if you see them in the used bookstore, definitely grab a copy. "The Wicked One" is still available and stands alone very well. ( )
  SabrinaJeffries | Mar 9, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380809095, Mass Market Paperback)

The bluest of blood; the boldest of hearts; the de Monteforte brothers will take your breath away

Meet Lord Lucien

The head of his noble family, the dark and dangerous Duke of Blackheath spends his time manipulating other lives without giving a thought to finding a wife of his own. Yet Lucien must admit he finds exquisite Eva de la Mouriere most intriguing. What adventurous, red-blooded male would not be intrigued by a flame-haired beauty who appears in his chambers demanding that he make love to her? Certainly this hot-tempered minx would make a delightful bedmate -- though surely not a bride.

Eva knows Lucien is the cause of all her current misfortunes, Yet he refuses to be humiliated. But the worst betrayer is her own heart. No match for Lucien's seductive mastery, Eva craves the blackguard as she's never craved another, She must resist this rogue, but how long can she deny her own passion -- or Lucien's blossoming genuine love -- in the face of his scheming family's successful attempts to force a wedding?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:24 -0400)

When the powerful Lucien de Montforte, the Duke of Blackheath, arrives home to find a dangerous and vengeful woman waiting for him in his bed with pistol in hand, the master manipulator never dreams that he has finally met his match. But thanks to his scheming family's successful attempts to force a wedding, the wicked and wily duke finds himself entangled in a web of his own making in this spectacular conclusion to Danelle Harmon's critically acclaimed de Montforte Brothers series!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,869,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible