Bedhead by Margie Palatini

Bedhead (2000)

by Margie Palatini

Other authors: Jack E. Davis (Illustrator)

English (17)  Japanese (1)  All (18)
Summary: Oliver woke up with the worst bedhead. The book continues with his misadventure in the morning and finding out that it is picture day at school.
Genre Critique: Contemporary Realistic Fiction; The main character has a bad hair day which is a realistic situation. The characters are imaginary, but could be real. I think that Oliver is based on the author's son though, because the book is dedicated to him. ( )
  ducky713 | Mar 3, 2017 |
I liked this book, because of all the detail that was given to describe how bad the main characters hair was. I disliked the book, because at times, it was very wordy, and I felt like I couldn't take a break at some points to breathe. I also liked how a lot of the words made noises in the story, and that helped out with the actual topic of the story. The main message of this story would be is, what will be will be. ( )
  kbarry9 | Mar 17, 2015 |
I read this book aloud to students 2nd grade and younger, maybe some a little older and they loved it as did I! This book talks about how a little boy has some crazy hair and he doesn't know how to fix it. It just gets worse and worse as he tries to gel it or put some water on it. After I read this book, I had the students draw me a picture of what they thought the book demonstrated. I didn't show them the illustrations right away. I would read the page, give them a minute to think about what the illustrations might look like and have them use their imagination and then I would show them the actual illustration. That helped students be creative and create their own illustrations to follow the book.
  khanai | Dec 9, 2013 |
This book is hilarious and full of literary devices and figurative language. If you can't find the joy here, you haven't opened the book. Oliver has an incurable case of bedhead, and no amount of brushing, primping, combing, wetting, spraying, gelling, or fussing is going to cure it. Unfortunately, he also has to get his picture taken at school and that where the worst part of the disaster ensues. Despite being able to wear a hat during class without complaint, for the class picture it’s a no-go and that means unveiling his unruly do just as camera flashes. This is the sort of book that anyone can connect to. We’ve all been there. It’s just funnier when it happens to Oliver and Margie Palatini is put in charge of narrating the whole fiasco. Great book. Give it a read. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Rhyming book about a childs hair it out of control. They do everything in their power to fix it but time is limted because it is picture day at school! This book is great for teachers to do right before picture day and talk about the problem in the story ( )
  MichelleForestier | Apr 22, 2013 |

Margie Palatiniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, Jack E.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my boy with the Bedhead -- M.P.
For John, Michael, and Jason -- J.E.D.
Shuffle-shlump. Shuffle-shlump. Shuffle-shlump, shlumped bleary-eyed Oliver out of bed, down the hall, and into the bathroom.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689860021, Paperback)

"In a gunkless corner of the soapy silver soap dish... in a fogless smidgen of his father's foggy shaving mirror... right there on the hot-water faucet, for heaven's sake... he saw it!"

Big, bad, BEDHEAD! Oliver's hair is "way out of control." Hair is going every which way, and in the back there's a clump that looks just like a cat's coughed-up fur ball. Drastic measures are in order. Oliver's very helpful family pushes, pulls, waters, spritzes, mousses, and hair-pins the recalcitrant locks, all to no avail. Finally, they remember the one true answer to bedhead: a baseball cap. Off to school Oliver goes, everything fine and dandy until he makes a horrible discovery: today is class picture day, and hats are not allowed.

Margie Palatini's hilarious story will ring painfully true for bedheadites of all ages. Her riotous dialogue flows free and wild, to the most splendid accompaniment of Jack E. Davis's big-faced (and big-haired) comic illustrations. Anyone who has ever suffered the trauma of bedhead--you know who you are--will weep grateful and giddy tears of joy to read this hairy adventure. A terrific read-aloud. (Ages 6 and older) -- Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

After many unsuccessful attempts to control his unruly hair one morning, Oliver and his family think that they have solved the problem--until he gets to school and finds that it is school picture day.

Margie Palatini is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible