The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E.…

The Wolf and the Dove (1974)

by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Recently added bySpurts, katsmiao, motivmkt, -Ellen33-, private library, Sothrn

Argh! The conversation was so forced, it was like watching an old play, with, I shit you not a proper damsel in distress. And he is the classic mustache twisting villain.

The author has proven that she has the uncanny ability to overstate the obvious...

Example: "Join me and we shall dine, so we quench our hunger!"

Really, you're hungry? OH MY GOD!!!! I thought you want to eat for a completely different reason.....

She tries to imitate the old way of speech and fails miserably, making the the entire book grate on your brain...

And she's all like:
"Oh, nay i beg of you sir!!!" *swoons* "You will never have my heart, you fiend!" *blushes maidenly*

And I'm all like:

I only got to about 20%, and could not for the life of me stomach more... I wanted to slap her silly...

The stuff that get's published.........jeez.... ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
The first romance I ever read and still the best! ( )
  SHIRWIN | Nov 9, 2014 |
Delicious. Swoon. ( )
  Bluerabella | Apr 1, 2013 |
December 19, 2011

This is the first of Ms. Woodiwiss' books that I read. I loved the characters and the plot. This story moves smoothly and effortlessly from start to finish. Ms. Woodiwiss makes you feel like you are part of the story drawing you into the lives that she is writing about. She also put passion into her books. They were steamy and exciting. I was a hooked on her books from this point on. I have lost count of the number of times that I have read this book and I will continue to read it for as long as I can.

March 22, 2015

For me this is one of those timeless books that I have read over and over. In fact I have lost count of the number of times I have read this book since it came out 1974. Ms. Woodiwiss was the only author I read for a very long time mainly because her romances were hot and exciting and complicated. She never wrote many books in her career but those that she did were well written and well researched. She was a ground breaking author for her time and the fact that her books are stilled published eight years after her death says something about her popularity.

This book is set in late 1000 when William the Conqueror invades Saxon England from Normandy. The story begins with the killing of the heroine’s father and her capture by Ragnor. Aislinn never backs down from the fierce knight even when she might be raped by the villain. Yes, Ragnor is a villain of the highest order. She is rescued by Wulgar, favorite of William and a bastard. The story that follows is of the dove taming the wolf and showing it that love can be one of the greatest journeys of all. There is action throughout the story as well as scenes of being at William’s court, a joust of honor and battle scenes of Wulgar fighting to hold his estate from raiders and the foul villain Ragnor.

Wulgar is a product of his upbringing. He was sent away as a boy when his father learned that he was a bastard. Since it was his mother that instigated that banishment Wulfgar has little trust in woman. He has taken his ease with those that know that he will never offer a relationship. He is a little stunned when he meets Aislinn. While he treats her as if she means nothing to him he is always trying to make her life better. I like that he is honorable, trustworthy, caring and compassionate. He is strict but never cruel. He respects those that he holds under his guardianship.

Aislinn has been gently reared. Her mother and father loved each other and the death of her father at the Norman’s hands causes her great pain. She is proud and courageous to the point of being stupid sometimes. She is smart and wise, protective and fierce. There are a few scenes when she is protecting her son that she would give anyone pause. She loves with her whole heart and works very hard to get Wulgar to recognize that they are meant to be together. When Bolsgar and Gwyneth show up she is much more patient with Gwyneth than I would have ever been I would have thrown Gwyneth out and let her find her own way.

Ragnor is a coward and a liar. He plays Gwyneth to get to Aislinn and in the process ruins his life and loses his honor, what little he had. He stalks Aislinn trying over and over to win her over. He meets a just and fitting end.

Gwyneth is a whining, cruel woman. She only thinks of herself and her comfort. It is very sad that she is what she throws in Wulgar's face over and over. Even though she sees the error of her ways in the end and takes the life of Ragnor I am not sure I could have forgiven her.

This is a richly written tale with lots of interesting characters and detail that is sometimes lacking in the short stories that seem to be popping up all over. It is easy to see that a great deal of time was taken to make sure the dialogue was right and the clothing match the period. Ms. Woodiwiss makes you feel like you are living the lives of these people. There are few writers that are her equal and I can’t recommend her writing highly enough. If you love historical romances then you must read her books. ( )
  LadyIsis | Dec 18, 2011 |
Rapey book.
Purple prose.
Sums it all up,
right on the nose. ( )
2 vote quillmenow | Nov 9, 2011 |
The clash of battle rang no more.

blurb: As hordes of Norman invaders sweep Saxony in 1066, the lovely Aislinn of Darkenwald is torn between loyalty to her own Saxon people and her tempestuous romance with Wulfgar - the Iron Wolf of Normandy.
Can her consuming passion for him wipe out the memory of her father’s murder - her mothers shame - her own savage violation - all at the hands of Wulgar’s conquering forces?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380007789, Mass Market Paperback)

When the Normans invade and sweep across Saxon England in 1066, lovely Aislinn of Darkenwald watches her father murdered outside her home. Wulfgar, the Iron Wolf of Normandy, arrives to rule Darkenwald, and one look at Aislinn leads him to claim her as his own. She hates the Norman conquering forces, but Wulfgar awakens a consuming passion in her that she can't deny. As she struggles with her growing love for Wulfgar, she does what she can to aid her conquered people and her bereaved mother. But a jealous lord conspires with Wulfgar's spoiled half-sister and Aislinn's very life is threatened before Wulfgar can admit that the woman he conquered has in truth, conquered his heart. This beloved historical romance deserves a special place on the shelves of millions of romance readers and shouldn't be missed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Saxon princess Aislinn resists the Norman knight Wulfgar.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,833,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible