Birthday Zoo by Deborah Lee Rose

Birthday Zoo

by Deborah Lee Rose

Other authors: Lynn Munsinger (Illustrator)

This is a cute rhyming story about a bunch of zoo animals celebrating a little boy's birthday. I liked all the different animals that appeared in this book (I had to Google a couple!). It would be a fun book to read to younger children (like K-1 or 2) but I don't know if older kids would find it very amusing, although it would be a good book to read to older children (like grade 3) for rhyming lessons. ( )
  bereneezypie | Mar 18, 2013 |
The story is about a little boy who is having a birthday party and a whole host of animals help set up and celebrate with him. The story is rather humorous with the illustrations bringing the simple rhyming phrases to life; "Pin the tail on the donkey? suggested the monkey?" and in the illustrations you see several blindfolded monkeys chasing after a donkey who looks none to pleased about the situation. The story includes many animals that young children would likely be familiar with, such as seals and bears, and others they have likely never heard of, including okapi and tapir. I enjoyed the story and the humorous phrases but I wish it had a little more information about the animals going to the party (though then it would be a different book!).

I think it could be useful to teach children about rhyming and get them interested in it (though I think their are better books out there for that purpose). If I had the book in my classroom I would probably have it as a choice for independent reading and not for a group read aloud. ( )
  rfary1 | Nov 12, 2012 |
This is written with rhyming words and describes some of the usual things people do on their birthday. It is about how animals are putting on this little boys birthday and describes what they did throughout the day. ( )
  sammarocco | Aug 23, 2012 |
Rhyming text describes the preparations made for a boy's birthday party by his hosts, the animals at the zoo. ( )
  kidlit9 | Mar 30, 2012 |
THis is a silly story about zoo animals having a birthday party. Zoo animals are the characters in the story, but the book does not include any information about the animals. It's just a fun, silly story! ( )
  Elizabeth1977 | Jun 27, 2011 |

Rose, Deborah Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Munsinger, LynnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

What could be more awesome than celebrating your birthday with the animals in the zoo? Especially when they're putting on the party. The raccoons blow up balloons, the bats pass out the hats, the lynx pours all the drinks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:04 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,633,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible