BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and…

BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes…

by Erin McKenna

2000s (1) 641 (1) 2010 (2) babycakes (1) baking (9) BN (1) cookbook (13) cookery (3) cooking (5) cupcakes (1) desserts (1) diet (1) ebook (1) food (1) gift (1) gluten-free (10) health (1) health food (1) healthy (1) library book (1) non-fiction (5) preorder (1) signed (1) sustainability (1) to-read (3) veg (1) veg*n (1) vegan (7) vegetarian (1) waiting to arrive (1)

Great resource book for a new vegan - I can have my cake and eat it too! If in NYC I will definitely stop by Babycakes, ( )
  MichelleCH | Apr 5, 2013 |
I bought this book mainly for the vegan aspect, not primarily for gluten-free recipes. I know a lot of the other reviews complained that all of the recipes are not gluten-free which seems inconsistent with the title of the book. However, the book contains some really wonderful recipes that make this a valuable resource for anyone who wants to eat without gluten, eggs and/or dairy. My children have gobbled up treats I have made from this book and as most people know, kids tend to be super picky about their snacks. I also made the brownies and took them to my office and they were devoured. Several people asked for the recipe. I haven't made the cupcakes yet, but based on the other reviews, I will do it with caution and low expectations. The book contains beautiful pictures which make it a fun cookbook to read. ( )
  jazzyereader | Jun 4, 2012 |
This is a fantastic vegan baking book! I'm not gluten free, so currently I've been subbing flour for the gluten free ingredients, but as soon as I get enough money to go out and buy arrowroot and rice flour and xanthan gum I will definitely try them sans-gluten as well. The food is delicious, and the photos are just to die for. I've made the donuts (which were a HUGE hit with my omni roommates) and a few of the simpler cakes and cookies, and can't wait to try out a few of the more complicated recipes. This is a solid baker's cookbook with quite a few workarounds and troubleshooting for any novices looking to create fantastic food. ( )
  391 | May 31, 2011 |
This cookbook is amazing! ( )
  angelitamay | Nov 14, 2010 |
I would probably give this book 3.5 stars but I'm rounding up. The photography in the cookbook is excellent, and everything looks delicious. However as everything is gluten free and uses no refined sugars, most of the ingredients called for are expensive and not stocked in most kitchens. For example, most of the recipes call for coconut oil and/or agave, which are not cheap. That said, I do hope to try one or two of these recipes as they do look quite delicious. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |

Forget everything
you’ve heard about
health-conscious baking.

Simply, BabyCakes is your key to an enlightened, indulgent, sweets-filled future. This is important news not only for parents whose children have allergies, for vegans, and for others who struggle with food sensitivities, but also for all you sugar-loving traditionalists. The recipes in these pages prove that there is a healthy alternative to recklessly made desserts, one that doesn't sacrifice taste or texture.

Having experimented endlessly with alternative, health-conscious sweeteners, flours, and thickeners, Erin McKenna, the proprietress of beloved bakery BabyCakes NYC, developed these recipes–most are gluten-free, all are without refined sugar–in hopes of combating her own wheat, dairy, and sugar sensitivities. In BabyCakes, she shares detailed information about the ingredients she uses (coconut flour, xanthan gum, and agave nectar, for example) and how to substitute them properly for common ones–all the while guiding you safely through techniques she’s spent years perfecting.

When BabyCakes NYC opened on Manhattan’s Lower East Side in 2005, it helped propel the gluten-free and vegan baking movement into a new stratosphere. Suddenly there was a destination for those with wheat allergies and other dietary restrictions–and, soon enough, celebrities and dessert lovers of every kind–to indulge freely in delectable muffins and teacakes, brownies and cookies, pies and cobblers.

Enclosed within these pages are all the “secrets” you’ll need to bring the greatness of BabyCakes NYC into your own home as well as raves and recommendations from devotees such as Natalie Portman, Jason Schwartzman, Mary-Louise Parker, Zooey Deschanel, and Pamela Anderson.

For confectionists of all kinds, delicious alternatives lie within: Red Velvet Cupcakes, Chocolate Shortbread Scones with Caramelized Bananas, Strawberry Shortcake, and BabyCakes NYC’s celebrated frosting (so delicious it has fans tipping back frosting shots!), to name just a few. Finally, Erin’s blissful desserts are yours for the baking!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:52 -0400)

When Erin McKenna was diagnosed with gastrointestinal ailments that meant she could no longer eat gluten or dairy, she wasn't content to live the rest of her life without tasting another cookie. Erin set out to develop recipes that avoided known irritants yet had the rich flavor & appeal of conventional baked goods.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,574,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible