Brother Grimm by Craig Russell

Brother Grimm (2006)

by Craig Russell

Series: Jan Fabel Series (2)

English (9)  German (2)  Danish (1)  All (12)
Terrific storyline. ( )
  magentaflake | Oct 11, 2012 |
This is the second book in a series of books with detective Jan Fabel. The hunt is on for a serial killer who is exploring the deepest fears hidden in old fairy tales. With each new crime is a grisly reference to folk stories collected by the Brothers Grimm. The killer is a monster we all learned to fear in childhood.

As with other books I have read that are part of a series this one can be read as a stand alone. The book does refer back to the previous one so you can get a gist of what has happened to the characters before hand. Jan Fabel the main character is a really nice guy and I could get to quite like him a lot in further books.

The crime itself was quite clever being based on the stories by the brothers Grimm. I didn’t work out at all who was commiting the crimes and I thought the twist on the final pages was quite clever, although as I was turning those final pages I could see it coming !

A first class read which kept me on the edge of my seat till the very last page and I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  tina1969 | Aug 9, 2011 |
Detective novels are not my thing, I like Fantasy and Science Fiction and weird stuff far better. I picked Brother Grimm because of its fairy tales connection, and didn't care that it was the second book on a series.

I liked the book well enough, a bit like CSI, but more focused on the detective part than on collecting the forensics. It is a fast read, and enjoyable. There is plenty of action and twisted murders, but there is still room for more deep musings about the significance of Fairy Tales, and especially of the Brothers Grimm task of collecting all the fairy tales through Germany, in a way of collecting the essence of the German People.

The one thing I have to point out is that there seemed to be much repetition of the characters descriptions (time and time again referring “the two Sex-Crime SoKo members, Petra Maas and Hans Rödger” as such every time they appear, especially when they didn't provide much to action. They were there but didn't do much).

I might read the first novel on the series if it comes my way. ( )
  quigui | Sep 2, 2010 |
This was as good as expected. I have been hunting for this novel for over a year. It was a great find. The characters are nicely developed and enough of them to stay focused. The killer is a crazy lunatic that is also well developed. The location of Germany brings a lot of interesting historical moments to ponder. I can't wait to go and get the 1st in the series and the next! ( )
  FMRox | Aug 30, 2010 |
Fantastic Read ( )
  dano35ie | Jan 20, 2009 |

Craig Russellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Janssens, PieterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A girl's body lies posed on the pale sand of a Hamburg beach, a message concealed in her hand. The hunt is on for a serial killer who is exploring the darkest, most fundamental fears hidden in ancient fairy tales.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,719,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible