The Nimrod Flipout: Stories by Etgar Keret

The Nimrod Flipout: Stories (2002)

by Etgar Keret

English (25)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (27)
Short stories. Some serious, most funny. Unique viewpoints make for entertaining reading.
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
The author presents his readers a gift of mini-stories, some of which have a slight Israeli twist and often a bit of strangeness. Just what I love! I find the collection a fun read.

“A Good-Looking Couple” is a story of what a man and woman think of each other as well as what a door, a television, and a cat think of them. It’s very cute. 
  SqueakyChu | Jan 9, 2014 |
This was an amazingly good read. I loved Etgar's way of writing! This is something I would read again, for sure. (: ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
These short stories were fine. I did not find them as humorous, clever, or well written as other reviewers did. ( )
  suesbooks | Aug 6, 2013 |
This is a very short book, of very short stories that you could probably read in a couple of hours, yet it took me weeks to get through. It felt like work, and I just didn’t want to pick it up. It’s not hard to read, the writing is overly simplistic if anything. It wasn’t even terrible, I actually liked a few of the stories, but too much of it was just tedious and dull. I have to say that it really wasn’t bad enough to warrant my reaction and reluctance to read it, I just didn’t click with it.

It’s like a guy says "Dude, I’ve got a wacky idea for a story" and then writes that outline down. That’s all you get. The ideas aren’t really fleshed out, neither are the characters. There is a lot of sameness to the stories. A few of them have a surrealistic quality that I think is what appeals to people, and some of them worked, but a lot of it was just "what if my uncle was a banana?" with no further plot, and "I’m watching my girlfriend get dressed. The End."

The writing was kind of stilted and clumsy, but I’m not sure how much of that was the translation.

This is an instance where I can honestly say I just didn’t get it. ( )
  bongo_x | Apr 6, 2013 |
Surprised? Of course I was surprised.
But both of them knew for sure that they were Israelis who were tired of meeting other Israelis in the East.
The doctors said his reaction to the medications was remarkable. Miron still insists it was on account of the hummus.
Most of the time he kept quiet, sitting in the corner and writing a kind of book to himself, which was supposed to eventually replace the Bible.
What's special about Shiriki is that, unlike others who made it big, he's no smarter than you, no better looking, no better connected or shrewder, he isn't even luckier than you. Shiriki is exactly - I mean exactly - like me and you, in every way. And that's what makes you so jealous - how did someone like us get so far?

From Israel's most popular and acclaimed young writer--"Stories that are short, strange, funny, deceptively casual in tone and affect, stories that sound like a joke but aren't" (Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi)

Already featured on This American Life and Selected Shorts and in Zoetrope: All Story and L.A. Weekly, these short stories include a man who finds equal pleasure in his beautiful girlfriend and the fat, soccer-loving lout she turns into after dark; shrinking parents; a case of impotence cured by a pet terrier; and a pessimistic Middle Eastern talking fish. A bestseller in Israel, The Nimrod Flipout is an extraordinary collection from the preeminent Israeli writer of his generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:00 -0400)

A collection of bite-sized satirical tales in which Kerrett covers a remarkable emotional and narrative terrain peopled by such characters as a man surprised by a pessimistic talking fish, a little girl who covets her friend's glittering eyes, and a faithful dog that won't disappear, even after being shot.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,036,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible