The Day We Found the Universe by Marcia…

The Day We Found the Universe

by Marcia Bartusiak

The riveting and mesmerizing story behind a watershed period in human history, the discovery of the startling size and true nature of our universe.

On New Years Day in 1925, a young Edwin Hubble released his finding that our Universe was far bigger, eventually measured as a thousand trillion times larger than previously believed. Hubble’s proclamation sent shock waves through the scientific community. Six years later, in a series of meetings at Mount Wilson Observatory, Hubble and others convinced Albert Einstein that the Universe was not static but in fact expanding. Here Marcia Bartusiak reveals the key players, battles of will, clever insights, incredible technology, ground-breaking research, and wrong turns made by the early investigators of the heavens as they raced to uncover what many consider one of most significant discoveries in scientific history ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
It is difficult to believe, in this day and age, with the Hubble Space Telescope and other enormous telescopes regularly providing us with stunning views of the Universe, that astronomy in the early twentieth century more closely resembled the studies of the Renaissance than modern space studies. Little was understood about the Universe beyond the Milky Way and, in fact, the most commonly held belief was that the Milky Way was the Universe, in its entirety. Marcia Bartusiak’s “The Day We Found the Universe” chronicles the work of the men, and in some cases women, who laid the groundwork for the study of modern astronomy and who discovered how small and insignificant our galaxy, star, and planet truly are in this great Universe.

The first half of Bartusiak’s work is dedicated to the battle over the nature of galaxies, what were then termed “nebula” and which appeared in telescopes as a hazy collection of “shining fluid.” Some astronomers believed them to be accumulations of dust or gas within the Milky Way, while others argued that they were, in fact, island universes, much like our own galaxy and situated at substantial distances away from us. As telescopes improved, these nebulas gained greater definition and the battle ultimately culminated in the Great Debate, conducted in April 1920 before the members of the National Academy of Sciences. On one side of the debate was Harlow Shapley of the Mount Wilson Observatory, the man who first discovered that the Milky Way galaxy was far larger than originally believed and that the Sun was not at its center. He argued that the Milky Way was the entirety of the Universe and that the “spiral nebula” as they were then called (the last quarter century of telescopic development had allowed for greater clarity of galaxies) were merely collections of gas within our own galaxy. He also argued that Adriaan Van Maanen’s discovery of rotation within the nebulae rendered it impossible for them to be situated very far from our own galaxy as the relative speeds required then would have them rotating faster than the speed of light.

On the other side of the debate was Heber Curtis of the Lick Observatory, who argued that the light spectrum emanating from the nebulae matched that of collections of stars, rather than accumulations of gas. He also argued that the Milky Way was one-tenth the size Shapley believed which allowed him to partially reconcile the “island universe” hypothesis with Van Maanen’s ultimately disproven observations.

The Great Debate actually decided little since the two scientists were mostly speaking past each other. In fact, they both ended up being partially right and partially wrong. What the Great Debate did do was focus the work of another astronomer at Mount Wilson: Edwin Hubble.

The second half of “The Day We Found the Universe” follows Hubble’s work at Mount Wilson’s Hooker Telescope, then the largest telescope in the world. Hubble was the first to discover Cepheid variable stars in the spiral nebulae. These variable stars (whose size and luminosity change with regularity) were proven to be useful in calculating stellar distance by Henrietta Swan Leavitt fifteen years earlier. Using these standard candles, Hubble proved that these spiral nebulae were actually “island universes” far beyond the reaches of the Milky Way galaxy. Hubble’s work then went to figuring out how these galaxies moved and he was able to prove that galaxies were moving away from us and how quickly they were doing so. This discovery would ultimately inform the discussion of the nature and creation of the Universe in the following decades.

Bartusiak writes with vigor and makes a potentially dry subject come to life. Some of the discussion gets a bit academic and may be difficult to follow for readers without at least a little understanding of astronomy but, for the most part “The Day We Found the Universe” is a wonderful and readable book, capable of sparking interest in astronomy in any reader. ( )
  tjwilliams | Jan 11, 2013 |
A very interesting book. I have to admit that when I first started to read it, I found the writing very dry, and only my interest in the subject kept me reading. I'm not sure whether the writing improved throughout the book, or if I became used to her writing style, but by the end I loved the book. I hope she writes a continuation covering the discovery of the Big Bang theory, and the astronomers involved in that discovery.

The author starts off talking about each astronomer and their discoveries (Keeler, Curtis, Hale, etc), leading up to Hubble finding that the spiral nebulae were actually other galaxies. Around the halfway point of the book the astronomers tales become intertwined, and this is where I found the book to be the most interesting. I would definately recommend this book, as it sheds light on some lesser known astronomers who had a big hand in leading up to Hubble's discoveries. ( )
  LadyofWinterfell | Jan 5, 2010 |
Very detailed and readable account of the period in astronomy's history (late 1800s to about 1930) which established that the universe comprises innumerable galaxies external to the Milky Way. Keeler, Slipher, Hale, Curtis, Shapley, Hubble et al.
  fpagan | Dec 17, 2009 |
This book provides a virtual front row seat to the discoveries of facts about the universe that were bigger, stranger, and more spectacular than anybody could have imagined at the beginning of the 20th Century. Today the newness has worn off of such terms as expanding universe, space-time continuum, and multiple galaxies. So it's good to imagine the excitement that must have been felt when these words were first uttered. If these concepts seem unfathomable now, they were even more unbelievable then.

This book covers the professional biographies of multiple individuals who played important roles in the advancement of astronomy from 1900 to 1930. Consequently the book's structure reminds me of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book, Team of Rivals where she provided multiple mini-biographies of Lincoln's cabinet. The author, Marcia Bartusiak, in this book skillfully hops from one personality to another, each mini-biography being told chronologically, but generally jumping backward in time when changing from one astronomer to another. The narrative is written with such skill that it's hard to imagine it being told in any other way.

Of course Edwin Hubble ends up being the star in the end. But the service provided by this book is to tell the story of others who provided the base of knowledge upon which Hubble was able to build. Among the personalities involved, Hubble was not the most likeable person to select if one were choosing a storybook hero. He was physically attractive, but a stuffed-shirt guilty of some boorish behavior. Nevertheless, in addition to being very intelligent, he had the luck of being at the right place at the right time. All the others in this story were very intelligent people, and there were several who could have achieved the findings regarding the size of the universe before Hubble, but for various reasons didn't do it.

The following quote from the book provides a good summary of the excitement and significance of the time.

"...perhaps never again will astronomy face such a dramatic shift in its conception of the universe. It took only three short decades―from 1900 to 1930, ... ―to make this mind-altering transition. The Milky Way, once the universe's lone inhabitant floating in an ocean of darkness, was suddenly joined by billions of other star-filled islands, arranged outward as far as telescopes could peer. ... Astronomers barely had time to adjust to this astounding celestial vastness when they were faced with the knowledge that space-time ... was expanding in all directions ...

Conservative religious people who feel that science is always chipping away at their views of the universe should remember that when evidence of the "Big Bang" was first reported that many religious people enthusiastically welcomed the news as vindication of their views about creation. This is a reminder that science goes where the evidence leads, and occasionally science and religious myths may end up in the same ball park (metaphorically speaking).

One of the individuals who could have beaten Hubble to his findings was Harlow Shapley. Unfortunately, he was so convinced of the single galaxy model that he didn't look for contrary evidence. When he first received a letter from Hubble describing his initial findings, Shapley was quoted as saying, "the letter has destroyed my universe!" The book's narrative goes on to say, "Once proven wrong, ...(Shapley)... didn't look back and quickly adjusted to the new cosmic landscape, soon becoming its most boisterous promoter."

Here's my favorite quotation by Harlow Shapley from his 1969 memoir:
"The solar system is off center and consequently man is too."

The above quotation is a comment about the discovery that the solar system is not located at the center of our galaxy. And for that matter, the Milky Way Galaxy is only one of many billions of galaxies and isn't at the center of anything, least of all the universe. So if God created the universe for the exclusive enjoyment of earthlings, he/she/it apparently selected an arrangement that emphasized our insignificance. After Copernicus discovered that the earth wasn't in the center of the solar system, we should have known that there was going to be more news headed in that direction.

The following is from the author's blog:
"... taking the Copernican principle to its finale―our universe may not be the only one. As physicists attempt to construct a theory that unifies all the forces of nature, one theme repeatedly arises: that additional cosmic realms may be lurking in other dimensions. We could be part of the multiverse; the Big Bang might have occurred when universes outside our dimensional borders bumped into one another." ( )
  Clif | Sep 30, 2009 |
To Steve, the center of my universe, who shared every light-year along the way
The twenties were not just roaring, they were blazing.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375424296, Hardcover)

Book Description
From one of our most acclaimed science writers: a dramatic narrative of the discovery of the true nature and startling size of the universe, delving back past the moment of revelation to trace the decades of work--by a select group of scientists--that made it possible.

On January 1, 1925, thity-five-year-old Edwin Hubble announced findings that ultimately established that our universe was a thousand trillion times larger than previously believed, filled with myriad galaxies like our own. It was a realization that reshaped how humans understood their place in the cosmos. Six years later, continuing research by Hubble and others forced Albert Einstein to renounce his own cosmic model and finally accept the astonishing fact that the universe was not immobile but instead expanding. The story of these interwoven discoveries includes battles of will, clever insights, and wrong turns made by the early investigators in this great twentieth-century pursuit, from the luminaries (Einstein, Hubble, Harlow Shapley) to the lesser known: Henrietta Leavitt, who discovered the means to measure the vast dimensions of the cosmos . . . Vesto Slipher, the first and unheralded discoverer of the universe’s expansion... Georges Lemaître, the Jesuit priest who correctly interpreted Einstein’s theories in relation to the universe... Milton Humason, who, with only an eighth-grade education, became a world-renowned expert on galaxy motions... and others.

Here is the watershed moment in our cosmic history, splendidly arising from the exceptional combination of human curiosity, intelligence, and enterprise.

Amazon Exclusive: A Q&A with Marcia Bartusiak

Question: Was there really a single day when the modern universe was revealed?

Marcia Bartusiak: In some ways there was a unique day: January 1, 1925, at the height of the Roaring Twenties. That’s the day when astronomer Edwin Hubble finally announced that the Milky Way was not alone but surrounded by sister galaxies just like our own. Eventually, Hubble directed our eyes to hundreds of billions of other galaxies, scattered like separate atoms through an ever-expanding space. It was the astronomical news of the century, if not of all astronomical history.

Q: In your book Hubble turns out to be a more complex character than portrayed in most astronomy books.

MB: He was an odd bird, but certainly a handsome one. Friends called him an Adonis. I think he resembles the British actor Jeremy Irons. Raised in Missouri, in a solid middle-class household, Hubble somewhere along the line yearned to be singular and distinct. Once he graduated from the University of Chicago, he went to Oxford University as a Rhodes scholar, where he completely reinvented himself; he adopted a British accent that he maintained for the rest of his life, dressed like a dandy, and began to add dubious credentials to his resume, like saying he once practiced law, which he never did. He married into a rich Los Angeles family, and throughout his life seemed intent on erasing his Midwestern roots. His wife never met Hubble’s mother or siblings. Hubble was not chums with his astronomy colleagues but preferred to socialize with the actors and writers in nearby Hollywood. One astronomer called Hubble, often arrogant and standoffish, a “stuffed shirt.”

Yet, while Hubble fibbed to his friends about his background, he was meticulously careful about his science. In fact, when he obtained the first evidence in early 1924 that the Andromeda nebula was truly a distant galaxy, he held off an official report for almost a year. He first wanted to counter every possible argument against his find. Being caught in a scientific error was Hubble’s greatest nightmare. And when he did finally release the data at that astronomy meeting on New Year’s Day in 1925, after a lot of arm-twisting from his colleagues, he wasn’t even there. He had someone else relay the findings.

Q: The Day We Fond the Universe informs us that there were numerous important figures whose efforts contributed to this monumental discovery—that Hubble didn’t do it alone as the textbooks today seem to imply.

MB: Not at all. This is a far richer story--filled with trials and errors, serendipitous breaks, battle of wills, and missed opportunities. Several astronomers could have snatched victory years before Hubble but for various reasons didn’t. However, they constructed the firm foundation that allowed Hubble to step in and make his great discoveries, revealing the modern universe as we know it today.

Q: Who are some of those other astronomers?

MB: The first was James Keeler, then director of the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton in California near San Jose, the first observatory in the world to place a gigantic telescope at high elevation. Its lenses were a yard wide. But Keeler chose to spend his time at a smaller telescope, which every other astronomer on his staff despised. He fixed it up and began to discover that there were tens of thousands of faint, disklike nebulae arrayed over the celestial sky. This was in 1899. At the time most astronomers thought these spiraling clouds were baby solar systems in the making. If he had continued, Keeler had a good chance of revealing they were actually galaxies, other Milky Ways. He had the smarts (he was one of the best astronomers in his day) and he had the equipment. But he died at the age of 42, likely of lung cancer. He was never seen without a cigar in his mouth. If he had lived, it might have been the “Keeler Space Telescope” now orbiting the Earth.

Q: Didn’t anyone follow-up?

MB: Not right away, oddly enough. Most astronomers at this time were primarily concerned with the Sun and stars. The study of nebulae was not popular. It wasn’t until the 1910s that Heber Curtis, another Lick Observatory astronomer, went back to the same telescope that Keeler used and advanced this work. He found so many new nebulae that he estimated there were at least a million around the sky. Moreover, he began to report that they were indeed distant galaxies. He told one reporter that one he sighted had to be 20 million light-years away, an astounding distance for its time.

Q: So why don’t we remember Curtis as the discoverer of the modern universe?

MB: Because all the evidence Curtis gathered was merely circumstantial. Astronomers were waiting for a “slam dunk.” The novae, or sudden flare-ups, that occasionally appeared in these spiraling nebulae suggested they were far-off, since the novae were so faint when compared to the ones that pop off in our own Milky Way. But no one was sure. Some of the novae were so bright, there wasn’t any physics to explain the phenomena. This was before astronomers understood that stars could completely explode. Curtis was on the verge of solving the mystery, but he took himself out of the game when he accepted the directorship of an observatory in Pennsylvania, where the nighttime skies were so bad that he could no longer compete.

What was needed to resolve the problem was an undeniable distance measurement out to those nebulae. It required a cosmic yardstick, but none was available. And that’s where an interesting woman, Henrietta Leavitt, comes in.

Q: The role of women in astronomical history is prominent in your work. What are the parallels between their experiences and those of contemporary female researchers?

MB: It was a far different time for women in the sciences at that time. Women astronomers weren’t allowed to observe on the major university telescopes. It was considered unseemly to have women and men work together on an isolated mountaintop. At Harvard, for example, women were mainly relegated to being what were called “computers”—staying in offices, scanning photographic plates and recording each star’s position, luminosity, and spectrum. Yet it was immensely valuable work. In the course of it, Henrietta Leavitt astutely discovered the celestial Rosetta Stone that later allowed Hubble to make his great discoveries. In 1912 she found a unique pattern to the blinking of variable stars called Cepheids. These are stars that repeatedly brighten and dim over a matter of days, weeks, or months. She revealed that the brighter Cepheids had the slower periods; the dimmer ones were faster. That meant you could follow the Cepheid’s change from afar, determine its period, which would let you know how bright the star is and hence how far away it was.

Harlow Shapley, a young up-and-comer at the new Mount Wilson Observatory in southern California, was the first to take advantage of this wonderful new yardstick, discovering that the Milky Way was far larger than anyone had ever suspected. Ten times larger. It was now 1918, and Shapley could have continued outward, determining the distances to those mysterious spiral nebulae and beaten Hubble to the brass ring--but he didn’t.

Q: Why not?

MB: Because Shapley was mulishly wedded to his own vision of the universe. To him, the Milky Way was so big that its borders defined the very boundaries of the universe. The spiral nebulae were mere appendages. He saw no reason to study them. He regretted that blunder for the rest of his life.

Hubble had by then arrived at Mount Wilson, and at first stood in Shapley’s shadow. Shapley was the golden boy of astronomy for his remake of the Milky Way. The two astronomers never got along, throughout their professional careers. Shapley, also from Missouri, retained his brassy and chummy country ways. Hubble’s affectation for wearing jodhpurs, leather puttees, and a beret while observing or going around and saying “Bah Jove” was simply too much for Shapley to bear. To Hubble’s relief, Shapley soon left Mount Wilson to become director of the Harvard College Observatory, which allowed Hubble to focus on the spiral nebulae and make his great discovery.

Q: How did Hubble go on to see the universe expanding?

MB: Well, that’s where the standard textbooks don’t get the story quite right. There was another astronomer, by the name of Vesto Slipher, who actually found the first glimmer of evidence that the spiral nebulae were fleeing outward. He did this from the Lowell Observatory in Arizona. By 1917 Slipher was sure they were distant galaxies and even reported they might be “scattering” in some way. By 1925 he pegged the velocities of more than forty galaxies, a momentous accomplishment because the galaxies are so faint. It sometimes took weeks at the telescope for Slipher to clinch just one velocity.

In 1929 Hubble took on a partner, Milton Humason, to see if the galaxies were moving outward in a specific way. Hubble pegged the galaxies’ distances, while Humason measured their velocities. Putting this information together, Hubble did find a trend: the velocity of the galaxies steadily increased as he probed deeper and deeper into space. At double the distance, a galaxy’s speed doubled as well. But when Hubble first published this rule, he solely used Slipher’s data already on hand. Yet he made no mention whatsoever of Slipher in the paper--no citation, no acknowledgment, a serious breach of scientific protocol. Slipher deserves half the credit but is now largely forgotten by the public.

Moreover, Hubble had no idea at this stage that his newfound rule meant the universe was expanding. That understanding didn’t arrive until 1930, when astronomers finally became acquainted with the work of the Belgian Georges Lemaître, both a theorist and Jesuit priest. Working out a cosmological model based on Einstein’s general theory of relativity, Lemaître predicted that space-time was moving outward, with the galaxies going along for the ride. He did this in 1927, two years before Hubble even published his rule. But Lemaître’s model went unnoticed for a couple years, because it was published in an obscure Belgian journal.

But today this story is now vastly simplified: everyone says Hubble went to the great 100-inch telescope on Mount Wilson and, voilá, discovered the expanding universe. It’s an ironic twist, because Hubble was never a champion of a universe ballooning outward. “It is difficult to believe that the [galaxy] velocities are real,” he told a reporter. Up until he died in 1953, he always referred to the galaxy speeds as “apparent velocities,” to protect his legacy just in case a new law of physics sneaked in and changed the explanation. Hubble coveted an unblemished record: the perfect wife, the perfect scientific findings, the perfect friends, the perfect life.

Q: You write about these astronomical discoveries in light of the cultural and geopolitical context of the early 20th century. What were the connections?

MB: It was a unique moment, a fantastic era when technology was rapidly on the rise. Astronomy blossomed within this atmosphere. Cameras became standard equipment on telescopes, capturing pictures of stars and nebulae never before seen. And spectroscopes allowed astronomers to discern the very chemistry of the heavens. More important, prominent industrialists, enriched by the bounty of the Gilded Age, provided the money that allowed American astronomers to construct the large telescopes so crucial to solving the mystery of the spiral nebulae.

In this venture, American astronomers were also aided by a more somber event. European astronomers were diverted by World War I and its resulting turmoil. This allowed American astronomers to freely push forward on the most outstanding question of the day. Figuring out the universe’s true nature became an American obsession, its participants drawn from the Lick, Mount Wilson, and Lowell observatories newly built in the U.S. West. The world’s older observatories didn’t have a chance at all, because the Americans had the most advanced telescopes perched on high-elevation sites, a combination that was essential to cracking the mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:31 -0400)

A dramatic narrative of the discovery of the true nature and startling size of the universe, delving back past the moment of revelation to trace the decades of work--by a select group of scientists--that made it possible.

16 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible