To Marry the Duke by Julianne Maclean

To Marry the Duke (edition 2003)

by Julianne Maclean

Member:VeraMarie
Title:To Marry the Duke
Authors:Julianne Maclean
Info:Avon (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Boxed, To read, Everything

To Marry the Duke by Julianne Maclean

3 1/2 stars. Good and worth reading but somewhat predictable and not exceptional. I found myself skimming through part of it because it felt a lot like other books I've read. ( )
  aromagik | Mar 29, 2011 |
A lot of historical romances are basically the same. Just expanded versions of the boy-meets-girl formula and set in historical times. That being said, I found this book bright and refreshing. Yes we do have the historical setting, and as the title implies, the plan is to marry a Duke. Our heroine, however, is no blushing young maid, but instead is a strong, forthright and independent American daughter of a working class background whose family has made it big in America. Being rich, however, doesn't automatically give one entrance into American society and therein lies the reason Sophia has come to have a 'season' in London Society. How she handles the oh so proper London Society, and her new family make this a fun and enjoyable read. I particularly appreciated the perspective of Sophia's Dangerous Duke which added depth to the story.

If you're a die-hard romance fan, give this one a try. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Feb 20, 2009 |
From BackCover:
My dear sister Clara,
London society is so much more complicated than I could ever have known! Every night is a different ball or assembly, and a different swirl of glittering jewels and rustling gowns. Though I fear I am making social blunders left and right I am having some measure of success in my (or rather, Mother's) objective. Mother is beside herself with glee at the attentions I have been receiving from a few gentlemen she finds supremely suitable as husband material.

But my dearest sister, it is so hard for me to even look at any gentleman but a certain duke, who, if I may confess, makes my heart beat so that I fear it can be seen across a ballroom. He is James Langdon, the Duke of Wentworth, and though I may sound dramatic, he makes me feel as no man ever has before.

But I must push these feelings away. I sometimes hear whispers about his dark past, and he is quietly called the Dangerous Duke. Oh Clara! I am secretly overjoyed that he may love me, and at the same time terrified of his attentions. I have waited so long for my true love, and now I must resist him to protect my heart.

If only I knew how to proceed…

Your devoted sister,
Sophia ( )
  nikel27 | Aug 7, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060527048, Mass Market Paperback)

My dear sister Clara,

If only I knew how to proceed…

Your devoted sister,
Sophia

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:04 -0400)

Caught up in the glitter of the London season, a lovely innocent finds her mother's plans to find her an eligible husband undermined by her growing attraction to James Langdon, the Duke of Wentworth, a man with a dark past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible