To Tame a Highland Warrior by Karen Marie…

To Tame a Highland Warrior (1999)

by Karen Marie Moning

English (36)  Finnish (1)  All languages (37)
The best book I've read by Moning so far. I'm so surprised I liked it so much I'm tempted to give it 5 stars. I couldn't get into the Fever series but I'm glad to have found something else by this author. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
First of all, I was incredibly happy that this was Grimm's book. Second of all I was in love with him ever since the first time he graces us with his presence in the first book. And just to wrap things up, this book was even more interesting than the first and that was possible because of the range of characters and their emotional development through out the story, Jillian's strenght as a female main character, the history behind all the legends and that damn epilogue was the cherry to top it all off. Incredible. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
About on par with the previous novel in the series. To Tame a Highland Warrior is not spectacular - in fact, the character frustrated me at times with their lack of depth - but it does satisfy a craving for romance (which I've been having of late). Light reading for those interested in romance. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 8, 2014 |
hooked.. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
The first book in Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series was just kind of okay, so I wasn't expecting much from the sequel. But I actually rather enjoyed it (I say "rather" when in reality I read the whole book in one afternoon).

I actually liked the hero and the heroine. Grimm, while still the self-pitying hero that plagues romance novels, is a very interesting character with an actually interesting oddity about him. Jillian's not the stereotypical firey heroine either, though she's certainly not some damsel in distress. Both characters find a nice balance between clichés.

The plot is actually pretty nice too. It's not so complicated that it gets lost in the romance, but it's not so simple that it leaves the book a plotless series of shmexy scenes. The only major fault I would care to mention is that the ending explanation is a little too hasty. I think it could've been expanded a little to properly match the expansive mystery of the rest of the book. It's like wrapping up an enthralling mystery by just saying, "Oh, the butler did it."

But overall, To Tame A Highland Warrior is a surprisingly good historical/fantasy romance. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Dec 31, 2013 |
Hear me Odin, I summon the Beserker! I Gravrael Roderick Icarus McIllioch, offer my life - nay, my soul - for vengeance. I command the Berserker!
Politely inquire? You call a barely grunted and entirely put-upon-sounding 'what' a polite inquiry? A 'what' that says 'how dare you invade my space with your pitiful sounds? A 'what' that says, 'could you please go die somewhere else, peahen?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440234816, Mass Market Paperback)

Only her love could gentle his savage soul—

He was born to a clan of warriors of supernatural strength, but Gavrael McIllioch abandoned his name and his Highland castle, determined to escape the dark fate of his ancestors. Hiding his identity from the relentless rival clan that hunted him, he called himself Grimm to protect the people he cared for, vowing never to acknowledge his love for ravishing Jillian St. Clair. Yet even from afar he watched over her, and when her father sent an urgent summons, "Come for Jillian," he raced to her side—into a competition to win her hand in marriage.

Why had he run from her so many years before? And why return now to see her offered as a prize in her father's manipulative game? Furious, Jillian vowed never to wed. But Grimm was the man she loved, the one who urged her to marry another. He tried to pretend indifference as she tempted him, but he could not deny the fierce desires that compelled him to abduct her from the altar. She was the only woman who could tame the beast that raged within him—even as deadly enemies plotted to destroy them both....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

Born to a clan of warriors of supernatural strength, Gavrael McIllioch had abandoned his name and castle in an effort to escape the dark fate of his ancestors, and watches over ravishing Jillian St. Clair from afar, but when her father summons him, Gavrael races to compete for his love's hand in marriage.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,928,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible