The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Vol. 1…

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Vol. 1 (edition 2009)

by Nagaru Tanigawa, Noizi Itou (Illustrator)

Member:sgram
Title:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Vol. 1
Authors:Nagaru Tanigawa
Other authors:Noizi Itou (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Manga
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Humor, Science Fiction, High School, Light Novel

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa

Recently added byMirandalg14, private library, Zaffiro, Shanabrightstar, macha, KJKingJ, xuebi

I enjoyed this book very much. It isn't a highly philosophical or “deep” read but it was fun. The flow was fast and the writing easy to follow. This “light novel” was the origin of the manga and anime series…there are 10 light novels in the series.
The story is basically about a boy (nicknamed: Kyon) who meets an “anything but normal” girl named Haruhi Suzumiya. She is rude and always in a bad mood but for some reason Kyon keeps trying to talk to her (it doesn’t hurt that she is, according to Kyon, a “hottie”). From there a few more “unusual” characters are introduced and no one is really who/what they seem to be.

The author does a good job with the first person perspective and throws in a decent amount of humor.

I would not recommend this for teenagers under 15 years or so…there are some portions that border on being “adult oriented” (not graphic but they mention “grabbing breasts”, “big boobies”, etc). Typical anime stuff.

FUN. ( )
  Disco_grinch | Jul 28, 2014 |
Having watched the anime already (and immediately loving it), I turned to the book that started the hype. Faithfully represented in the anime, the story of an extraordinarily ordinary high-school boy soon captivated me again. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
I'm not sure if I actually liked this book or not. The plot is weird, but that's not really a bad thing. The writing excellent, though there were a few times when I wondered what had been changed from the original Japanese at the time of translation. But as for the story and characters? I have no idea. I liked it enough to keep reading and finish it -- but I'm not really sure I want to read more. Regardless, it was nice to be able to read a Japanese light novel translated into English. ( )
  callmecayce | Apr 9, 2013 |
Unfortunately, having seen the anime first, I feel that the first volume of the original light novels offers little additional insight to the characters and their situations as the anime was such a faithful adaptation. Many lines from the anime were apparently lifted directly out of the book. Also, because I watched the anime first, I can't help but compare it to the book.

As a light novel, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a funny and entertaining read. I did pick up on some details that I didn't notice in the anime, but I think that's mainly because I was too engaged in trying to figure out the disjointed timeline of the anime (the mixed up episode order). The book follows a traditional narrative style-- as in, beginning, middle, and end in order-- so things were much easier to take in.

I do think the scientific explanations were rather dull and poorly thought out, as if they were just thrown in there to justify the storyline (that Haruhi was some kind of powerful being), but luckily there are only a few short instances of it and once they were done with, the story goes on in its fun, light-hearted way.

But The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is more than just a fun, light-hearted high school comedy. What really struck while reading this, which I never realized while watching the anime, was that the story is essentially about longing. Both Haruhi and Kyon long for the extraordinary. As much as Kyon complains about Haruhi and the SOS Brigade, I think deep down, he really wants to be there. I see his dry sarcasm and his complaints as his way of trying to rationalize the strange things that are occurring around him-- his childhood hopes of meeting aliens, time travellers, and espers never came true, so he's rather cautious of getting his hopes up this time.

Haruhi, on the other hand, was a character I never really liked in the anime. She seemed really bossy and self-centred, which, admittedly, she still is in the light novel. That hasn't changed. But what has changed is my understanding of her. She was someone who was done with sitting around waiting for things to happen to her. If mysterious things don't come to her, she'll just have to go to them. It is with this philosophy that she starts up the SOS Brigade and it is this that I've come to like about her. There's just something admirable about a person who is willing to make things happen (her methods are certainly questionable, but you have to admire her spirit). This isn't any different from the anime and I don't know why I didn't realize this until now. Maybe consuming the story in text form made the difference.
  serrulatae | Mar 31, 2013 |
The book that the 2006 hit anime was based upon, 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' comes translated to the US in paperback form. An enjoyable light read, even for those who've' already seen the anime, though the story is practically identical and would not generate any new surprises for those familiar with the show. ( )
  timothyl33 | Mar 17, 2011 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
(Prologue) The question of how long someone believed in Santa Claus is a worthless topic that would never come up in idle conversation.
(Chapter 1) My first regret, upon successfully cruising through admission to a local public high school, was that the school was situated atop a rather sizable hill.
Original language title is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱), ISBN 4044292019. The ISBN for the hardcover English version is 0316039012/978-0316039017 while the paperback English version is 0316039020/978-0316039024

There is a manga series based on this novel with the same name, illustrated by Gaku Tsugano. The ISBNs for the manga are 0759529442/9780759529441 and 4047138118.

Haruhi holds the fate of the universe in her hands . . . lucky for you she doesn't know it!

Meet Haruhi - a cute, determined girl, starting high school in a city where nothing exciting happens and absolutely no one understands her.

Meet Kyon ­­- the sarcastic guy who sits behind Haruhi in homeroom and the only boy Haruhi has ever opened up to. His fate is now tied to hers.

Meet the S.O.S. Brigade - an after-school club organized by Haruhi with a mission to seek out the extraordinary. Oh, and their second mission? Keeping Haruhi happy . . . because even though she doesn't know it, Haruhi has the power to destroy the universe. Seriously.

The phenomenon that took Japan by storm - with more than 4.5 million copies sold - is now available in the first-ever English edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:41 -0400)

On the first day at a Japanese high school, an irrepressible girl announces her lack of interest in "ordinary humans" and proceeds to form a club dedicated to finding aliens, time travelers, and other forms of supernatural life, with the intention of having fun with them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible