Chew On This: Everything You Don't Want to…

Chew On This: Everything You Don't Want to Know About Fast Food

by Charles Wilson

Other authors: Charles Wilson

Best up front book about food! You should really read it like right now! ( )
  christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |
The book, "Chew On This." by Eric Schlosser and Charlie Wilson is about all the things that fast food and junk food/drinks do. At the beginning they talk about how most of the popular foods were made or how the restaurants started. In this book you also learn how fast food owners made more people come to their restaurant. In the middle of the book you learn about how schools offer unhealthy fast food and how the Eskimo's are getting baby bottle syndrome. In this book you learn about how young (still growing) kids need to get up early and stay late for restaurants to give them minimum wage. At the end of the book you learn how animals are treated in the slaughter house. To finish off this book they talked about how the fast foods restaurants are going everywhere around the world and how the amount of obese people is growing.

I rated this book 1 and 1/2 stars because I didn't really learn anything new. One thing I did learn though is that the first hamburger was compressed meat balls. I would recommend this book to people that like knowing the origins of fast food restaurants. I would recommend this book to people who don't know what the ingredients of the fast food restaurant's food. I would recommend this to people if they need a short and enjoyable book. I liked this book because it taught me some things I didn't know. I would read another one of their books if I knew one. ( )
  JettJ.G1 | Apr 23, 2016 |
This is a great book and although it's a kids non fiction title it was dense enough for an adult to get something out of reading it. At 260 odd pages it's not slight by any means, and does pack a punch in terms of research. The star off is for grammatical problems, i.e. using insure for ensure enough times for me to notice it.

I have always had a fuzzy headed notion that the famous fast food places started out as innocent mom'n'pop restaurants that were changed by money men over time into the soul sucking establishments that we know and loathe today, but this book set me straight. It seems that the major fast food players were always after our money in return for very little, asking us to throw in our health, critical thinking and work security into the bargain.

It's an eye opener, even for a jaded old soul like myself. I haven't passed beneath a golden archway for some three years now, and I haven't partaken of the "Real Thing" in all that time also, mainly for political reasons, but this book has challenged me to add a few more restaurants and soft drinks to my banned list. Rather fortunately, because my health could use it.

I have very little personal will power when it comes to crappy food but I did feel a wave of nausea when passing a smelly fried chicken place after reading this - hey, maybe this book will genuinely save my life! ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Frames the rise and popularity of fast food restaurants within its most problematic aspects: low wages, destruction of family-owned farms, inhumane treatment of animals, foodborne illness, obesity, and widespread marketing to children.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Chew on this tells a lot of details of fast food. It tells how a hamburger was invented, how French fries are made, hear the life of a chicken before it turned into a chicken nugget, and see what happens to your body when you eat fast food. The book also tells how McDonalds was invented. McDonalds is the most exampled fast food restaurant in the book. It also has a half page of ingredients of what is in artificial strawberry flavoring and strawberries are defiantly not in it. The book tells the story of some people with problems caused by fast food. It also shows how fast food was put right into schools.
Chew on this is a book that helps explain all the details that happen behind the sciences of fast food. It deserves 3 stars because it is kind of boring but still very informing. I recommend this book to people who like to know what's really in fast food. I also recommend this book to people who really like to get information from books. Because the person at the fast food place will probably not tell you anything true. This book was written by Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson. The book would probably not be for people who get grossed out a lot. ( )
  AlishaM.B3 | Jan 2, 2015 |

Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, Charlessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In the New York Times bestseller Chew on This, Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson unwrap the fast-food industry to bring you a behind-the-scenes look at a business that both feeds and feeds off the young. Find out what really goes on at your favorite restaurants—and what lurks between those sesame seed buns.

Praised for being accessible, honest, humorous, fascinating, and alarming, Chew On This was also repeatedly referred to as a must-read for kids who regularly eat fast food. Having all the facts about fast food helps young people make healthy decisions about what they eat. Chew On This shows them that they can change the world by changing what they eat.

Chew on This also includes action steps, a discussion guide, and a new afterword by the authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:19 -0400)

A behind-the-scenes look at the fast food industry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,319,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible