Star Trek: Countdown by Roberto Orci

Star Trek: Countdown (2009)

by Roberto Orci, Mike Johnson, Tim Jones, Alex Kurtzman

Nero, the captain of a Romulan mining vessel, works with Ambassador Spock to prevent a supernova from destroying the entire Romulan empire, but when things go horribly wrong, the Federation gains a bitter enemy.

A prequel to the Abram's rewrite. Eh. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Like Federation Old Home Day. ( )
  amuskopf | Jun 7, 2018 |
It's a "3-star" if you're a Star Trek fan; otherwise it's probably a 2, because mist of the pleasure comes from meeting old friends like Spock, Data, and so on. The artwork is great, especially the faces and eyes--the artist obviously loves drawing eyes--but this is not a stand-alone story. The reader has to know a lot about the Star Trek universe. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
(originally posted to Goodreads)

Summary:

This is the prequel to 2009 movie "Star Trek" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/), explaining how Ambassador Spock came to arrive in the past and have the mission he does, as well as the back story for the villain, Nero.

Spock pleads with the Romulan Senate to do something about a giant supernova that may destroy the planet and beyond. He's backed up by Nero, a Romulan miner who has seen the supernova first-hand. Loyal to his Empire and his young family, Nero vows to risk everything to help Spock. Despite the assistance of Captain Data of the Enterprise and Ambassador Picard, the supernova engulfs Romulus. A furious and vengeful Nero, equips his mining ship with secret Romulan weaponry and proceeds to destroy everything non-Romulan in his path, taking on a large contingent of Klingon ships under General Worf, who is saved by the Enterprise. Spock proceeds with his plan to stop the supernova using Vulcan technology and a special ship designed by Geordi LaForge. Although he succeeds in creating a black hole to destroy the supernova, Spock's ship is pulled into the black hole along with Nero in his ship.

My Reaction:

I like it. Although it's a little too convenient, to have all our favourite characters -- Spock, Data, Picard, Geordi and Worf -- meet up in this Star Trek TNG near-future, it's still fun to see them all in these new roles and stages in their lives. I haven't read a lot of Star Trek graphic novels or fiction outside of the TV shows and movies so I don't get enough of the "so where are they now" speculation. It's also nice to get a little back story that makes us feel for Nero, and I've always thought that we need more Romulan inside story details so it's good to see the Senate politics.

My Recommendation:

Although I bought this at a K-6 school book sale, this work doesn't really seem age-limited. Unless this story-line is available in another more detailed format, I would recommended this to anyone who watched and enjoyed the 2009 movie. It would also be fun to read for any fan of TNG and the characters that make appearances here. Finally, given the place of Star Trek in our culture now and the value of making links between movies and reading, I would recommend this for any medium to large public library, and maybe even a school library or academic library, if funding can support it. (It's a little expensive in my opinion, at a cover price of $10.99.) ( )
  mmzthomas | Oct 19, 2013 |
A prequel to 2009's fantastic "Star Trek" movie reboot. Nicely done, but ultimately a slightly superfluous venture that overdoes it a bit when it comes to featuring characters from "Star Trek: The Next Generation". ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |

Orci, Robertoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Mikemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, Timmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kurtzman, Alexmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Messina, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stardate 64333.4 Deep in Romulan territory...where only a few have gone before...

Prequel comic bridging between the events of the last Star Trek feature film, Nemesis, and the newest entry, J.J. Abrams' _Star Trek_. Begins approximately eight years after the events of Nemesis, and tells the backstory of Nero, the new film's antagonist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,000,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible