Until Forever by Johanna Lindsey

Until Forever

by Johanna Lindsey

Recently added byTheadora78, libra79, malee1, E111e, kathred1, HotHeather, bsbart, private library, Spalding

Typical Lindsey historical. Overblown emotional yarn with great characters. Quick read. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
Ah, time travel romances. In the hands of a skilled author, lovers from two worlds can come together, love bridging the gulfs between them.

But most of the time you get dreck like this. She's boring. He's boring. They magically move back and forth through time, screwing up history, then screwing it up some more as they try to fix it.

I assume they somehow manage to fix things in the end, but I didn't make it that far. ( )
  Lostshadows | May 2, 2011 |
Imagine finding an ancient sword that when handled summons a gorgeous Viking who must obey your every whim and fancy. Sounds like a nice problem to have! But Rose is in no way prepared for the adventure Thorn takes her on. It is a great fantasy escape book. Lindsey is very good at the craft of romance novels. I was excited to find a paranormal romance by her! The story takes you from modern day to history and back again. You can't help but adore Thorn and his very "old world" ideals. And Rose is not the usual damsel in distress too often found in romance fiction. I highly recommend this book for fans of both romance and paranormal. ( )
  rhrh319 | May 27, 2010 |
I love this book. I've read it countless times and I love how Lindsey treats not only the romantic aspect of the story but also the historical. I read this story in high school and I will admit that this story got me interested in Viking history. ( )
  chibiju | Sep 17, 2009 |
This is an unusual time-travel romance. Instead of one of the characters traveling in time and then finding their true love, these characters go back and forth in time.

Roseleen, a history professor and collector of antique weapons, has just made the coup of a lifetime: a medieval sword, "Blooddrinker's Curse." She had to buy it through her step-brother, as the previous owner was convinced that a woman must never be allowed to own the sword.

Understandably, because when a woman holds it, she summons its owner, Thorn Blooddrinker, from Valhalla, and he's cursed to obey her every command.

Roseleen's confusion and disbelief is well-done, falling between unbelievable credulity and boring (if probably realistic) insistence on disbelief that goes on too long. Thorn's reactions, too, are realistic--he's angry at being summoned, particularly when the woman summoning him doesn't seem to have any reason for it.

Their falling in love is a given, and unfortunately, as such, it's not particularly believable. I believe they're in lust with each other, and I believe that history professor Roseleen finds an actual Viking warrior fascinating. I just don't see true love. But I'm notoriously skeptical.

What made the book for me was when their time-traveling (Thorn can go to any time in which the sword has existed, and he likes going to battles) causes changes that are evident when they return to the present. Trying to figure out what they'd changed and how, and going back to fix things was lots of fun, reminiscent of The Butterfly Effect. ( )
  Darla | Dec 2, 2008 |
For Joe-- my Thron, my Challen,my Falon, my James, my Tony, and I could go on and on . . .
It was driving her crazy, to let that box sit there on the small credenza beside her desk and not open it.

FROM THE SHADOWS OF THE PAST

Prim and beautiful professor Roseleen White clutches her new prized possession--a thousand-year-old Scandinavian sword. And suddenly, a dream stands before her--a magnificent Viking warrior sworn to satisfy Roseleen's every desire.

Accursed for untold centuries, mighty Thorn is now enslaved to a woman. Yet it is Roseleen who is the true prisoner, held willing captive by a handsome barbarian who sweeps her back to the ancient past on a journey of sensual discovery. But only by banishing him from her life forever can Roseleen free Thorn from immortality's chains--forcing her to make a devastating choice that will either imperil their future or preserve a love more powerful than time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380762595, Mass Market Paperback)

From the shadows of the past.

Prim and beautiful professor Roseleen White clutches her new prized profession - a thousand-year-old Scandinavian sword. And suddenly, a dream stands before her: a magnificent Viking warrior sworn to satisfy Roseleen's every desire.

Until forever.

Accursed for untold centuries, mighty Thorn is now enslaved to a woman. Yet it is Roseleen who is the true prisoner, held willing captive by a handsome barbarian who sweeps her back to the ancient past on a journey of sensual discovery. But only by banishing him from her life forever can Roseleen free Thorn from immortality's chains - forcing her to make a devastating choice that will either imperil their future or preserve a love more powerful than time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:09 -0400)

Professor Roseleen White has control over an immortal barbarian named Thorn.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible