Sanditon: Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed…

Sanditon: Jane Austen's Last Novel Completed (1975)

by Jane Austen, Another Lady, Anne Telscombe

A Cure for All Diseases by Reginald Hill (merry10)
    merry10: Reginald Hill makes a homage to Jane Austen, basing the structure of the novel and character names on Sanditon, Jane Austen's unfinished novel.

Although superficially like Austen I found the events of the final chapters unlikely. ( )
  ritaer | Aug 17, 2017 |
Before I knew that it was only 11 chapters that Austen wrote, I was remarking on modern phrases, devices, and hijinks. It was an interesting story, that kept me going til late at night, but it did not leave me feeling as radiant as real Austen work does. I liked Charlotte Heywood a lot, and the characters were vividly drawn, but the meetings and hijinks and openly discussed (or thought) manipulation on the part of the hero just seemed a bit much. Also, I thought it weird that nowhere in the book does the Other Lady say her name... not even in her apology at the end. Weird? Nice story and plenty of humor and time and place-specific fun details. ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
I have had this book a long time sitting on my shelves and have been very hesitant about reading it. I didn’t know how I felt about reading a book that was started by Jane Austen and then finished by someone else. Plus reading any uncompleted Jane Austen novel is very hard to handle. Eventually curiosity got the best of me and I picked up this book with basically no expectations that I would enjoy it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with it. I think that had Jane Austen lived to finish this book it would have been another masterpiece, but since she did not have this chance, I have to say that Another Lady did a very good job at keeping with Jane Austen’s style. I don’t think a better imitation could have been accomplished. It is very hard to find the exact point that Jane Austen ends and Another Lady picks up. Another Lady does tell you in the last chapter where she began, and she does apologize for not being Jane Austen. It was a very smooth transition. I thought that Another Lady completed the story with probably the same intentions that Jane Austen may have had. The only small issue I have is that I wish the character development for Charlotte would have been done a little better, and I think her feelings for Sidney at times were very differently wrote than maybe how Austen would have done it but this still doesn’t make me think any less of it. I really enjoyed it and I will be keeping this book as part of my Jane Austen collection. ( )
  Renz0808 | Sep 17, 2014 |
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
An extremely successful completion of the fragment Miss Austen left at her death. I have been a fan since I was twelve years old (a long time ago!), reading her six works over and over. It took me a long time to get up the courage to try reading Sanditon. In my opinion, it could only have been improved by Jane Austen herself. A most rewarding experience! ( )
  anna45 | Jun 2, 2014 |

Austen, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Another Ladymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Telscombe, Annemain authorall editionsconfirmed
A gentleman and a lady travelling from Tunbridge towards that part of the Sussex coast which lies between Hastings and Eastbourne, being induced by business to quit the high road and attempt a very rough lane, were overturned in toiling up its long ascent, half rock, half sand.
Novel left unfinished by Jane Austen at her death and later completed by Anne Telscombe (pseudonym). Sometime published anonymously "by Jane Austen and Another Lady", sometimes published by Anne Telscombe, sometimes published by Marie Dobbs (Telscombe's real name).

Fourteen-year-old charlotte is invited to visit in the quiet town of Sanditon which is being promoted as a high-fashion resort, and there she is introduced to the full range of polite society.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jane Austen's book Sanditon was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible