dismiss

Tuesday by David Wiesner

Tuesday (original 1991; edition 1992)

by David Wiesner

Frogs rise on their lily pads, float through the air, and explore the nearby houses while their inhabitants sleep.
Member:jeidai
Title:Tuesday
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books/Houghton Mifflin Company (1992), Hardcover
Collections:Picture Books, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:hardcover

Tuesday by David Wiesner (1991)

Near fine condition
  JamesLemons | May 3, 2020 |
Flying frogs on lily pads, crashing into clotheslines, controlling remote controls with their long tongues. All night long they scoot through the sky, then come morning they launch themselves into the pond, leaving nothing but mysterious lily pads behind. Delightfully weird, doesn't hold back from being over-the-top surreal, and makes one wonder what happens when we humans aren't looking. ( )
  lydsmith | Apr 16, 2020 |
This book was nearly wordless. The only words were the times of the day. On every Tuesday, there were strange things that happened. "Flying animals". The majority of the book was flying frogs on lily pads disturbing the people. Chased the dog and hovered next to people (grandma). The next Tuesday, it shows that pigs are flying. ( )
  priya.golding | Apr 12, 2020 |
Probably one of the funniest books I've read in a while! The story is wild yet predictable once it's over; hence, falling under the circle book category. I definitely want this one for my classroom. I think the students would get a kick out of 'reading'. ( )
  jxs184 | Apr 5, 2020 |
I have never read a book like Tuesday. It was unique in that it had only a few words, but the illustrations act a a strong supplement to what is lacking in the text. While the illustrations are vivid, I did not feel they were enough to cary this book. I can see how some students who are overwhelmed by a lot of words on a page may be drawn to a book with very little to words to read. However, I did not find this book to be enjoyable. ( )
  Jessica.Kirkland | Jan 29, 2020 |
For Tom Sgouros
Tuesday evening, around eight.
ISBN 0395727677 is for June 29, 1999.

This nearly wordless story is told through detailed, colorful, and imaginative illustrations. It is the story of the flight of frogs from the swamp through the town on their lilly pads during the night. Sometimes the illustrations take up two full pages, and sometimes they're cut into frames. For example, the first page has three frames of roughly the same picture. However, as you examine them, you see that, from top to bottom, each picture brings you closer to the main object: the turtle standing on a log. Most of the illustrations are done in cool colors to give the feeling of night. This feeling is sharply contrasted by the scene in the kitchen which is very white and bright, giving the impression of being very well-lit. The illustrations are truly all that was needed to tell the story. I think that words would have been a distraction. The flying frogs have no reason to talk, and no human actually sees them. However, as I was "reading" the story, I could hear chirruping crickets and buzzing mosquitoes in the first page as the turtle waits for what he is about to see, and I could hear Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" throughout the frogs' flight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,643,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible