Tuesday by David Wiesner

Tuesday (original 1991; edition 1997)

by David Wiesner

Member:karinaw
Title:Tuesday
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Sandpiper (1997), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:wordless book, picture book, young child, imagination, magic, animals

Tuesday by David Wiesner (1991)

I like this book because of two reasons. First, there are no words. This may seem odd for me to like a book with no words. However, I like the fact that there are no words because it allows anyone to pick this book up and be able to read it. An advanced reader can read this book and a struggling reader can also read it. Second, the illustrations are so abstract and detailed that it becomes inviting and fun for the reader to create their own plot of what is occurring in the pictures. For example, some people continue to think of time throughout the story and others forget about time. The main message of the book is that everyone can read! A book doesn’t have to have a lot of pages or a lot of text to be read. ( )
  kmcpha3 | May 4, 2015 |
This was the second David Wiesner book I have read and I once again found myself impressed. No words, just times. However, the times allow the reader to gauge the story line of the events and when it is taking place. In this dream-like fantasy, Wiesner takes the readers on an adventure where frogs gain super powers and are able to float around the town on their lily pads. The colors used in the illustrations were much darker than in his other books, however this allows the reader to see that it is an ordinary night with not so ordinary events. The illustrations are powerful and allow the book to have a plot without the use of words. I could see this book being appropriate for teaching students about inferences. This is because the reader has to infer what is happening by looking at the pictures and essentially reading between the lines. At first glance, it feels as though Wiesner does not give the reader much to work with. However after taking a deeper look and analyzing the pictures, you can pick up on a story that it creative and fun! ( )
  agates5 | May 4, 2015 |
This book can be really great for ELL students. The pictures are really helpful in engaging the student and helping them relate the book to time.
  kes030 | Apr 30, 2015 |
Summary: This wordless picture book illustrates a non-so-typical Tuesday night with frogs flying through neighborhoods on lilly pads. One man thinks he sees something outside his window, but writes off the frogs as something impossible. The book ends with pigs flying on a different day of the week.

Personal reflection: I enjoyed the video for this book, but not the actual book itself. I had trouble finding relevance this book would have in the class room. I do enjoy the creativeness that comes from the book and I think student would enjoy that aspect as well, but I do not think I'd use it in an academic way.

Class use: I would use this book to read aloud to the students and then have them make up their own stories for Wednesday night using descriptive language.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 26, 2015 |
Primarily illustrations alone, toads take to the skies on flying lily pads. They encounter laundry on the line, and chasing dogs. In the morning, the only evidence is lily pads lying all over town.
  mlbailey77 | Apr 17, 2015 |
For Tom Sgouros
Tuesday evening, around eight.

This nearly wordless story is told through detailed, colorful, and imaginative illustrations. It is the story of the flight of frogs from the swamp through the town on their lilly pads during the night. Sometimes the illustrations take up two full pages, and sometimes they're cut into frames. For example, the first page has three frames of roughly the same picture. However, as you examine them, you see that, from top to bottom, each picture brings you closer to the main object: the turtle standing on a log. Most of the illustrations are done in cool colors to give the feeling of night. This feeling is sharply contrasted by the scene in the kitchen which is very white and bright, giving the impression of being very well-lit. The illustrations are truly all that was needed to tell the story. I think that words would have been a distraction. The flying frogs have no reason to talk, and no human actually sees them. However, as I was "reading" the story, I could hear chirruping crickets and buzzing mosquitoes in the first page as the turtle waits for what he is about to see, and I could hear Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" throughout the frogs' flight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395870828, Paperback)

"Tuesday evening, around eight"--a deceptively mundane beginning for what proves to be a thrilling, miraculous, and surreal amphibian journey. Slowly and quietly on this particular Tuesday, a few fat frogs begin hovering over a swamp, riding lily pads like magic carpets. Clearly satisfied and comfortable, the floating frogs are as serene as little green buddhas. Gradually, the flying fleet grows in momentum and number, sailing over the countryside and into an unsuspecting town. These frogs know how to have fun--startling the occasional bird, waving webbed feet at late-night snack-eaters, and even changing the channels on a sleeping granny's television. As day breaks, the frogs lose their lily pads, head back to the pond, and wait impatiently for their next scheduled departure.

Tuesday won the 1992 Caldecott Medal and, among other honors, was named as an ALA Notable Children's Book. The critical acclaim will come as no surprise to anyone who opens the pages of this beautiful and humorous book. With hardly any words (except those noting the time), David Wiesner creates a wondrous romp as silent as the middle of the night. Using the rich purples, blues, and greens of late evening, Wiesner draws readers into the warm, incandescent world of frog flight. "Read" this wordless wonder to children and savor it for yourself as well. Chances are, you and the youngsters will both find yourselves poised at the window, hoping to catch a few airborne frogs in the act. (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

Frogs rise on their lily pads, float through the air, and explore the nearby houses while their inhabitants sleep.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,173,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible