Tuesday by David Wiesner

Tuesday (original 1991; edition 1997)

by David Wiesner

Member:kepting
Title:Tuesday
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Sandpiper (1997), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Personal Collection

Tuesday by David Wiesner (1991)

Recently added bycesbooks, cesdemo
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey

Wacky things happen on a Tuesday night. In this book all is quiet in the pond. Suddenly, frogs begin flying around on lily pads. They fly up with the birds, over houses, by windows, through the clean linens hanging outside, even on the roof! But when daylight comes, they must get back to the pond. The next morning, police find lily pads all over the street and find it to be peculiar. They next Tuesday, the frogs are calm again, but the pigs aren’t! This hilarious book engages students of all ages. It was great to use for students beginning to write words to go along with pictures. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Dec 6, 2016 |
This beautifully illustrated book has limited words but allows the reader to see time passing as the story takes place. The reader is able to see the mischievous frogs flying through town at night. I read this book to my first grade students and they absolutely loved it. We were able to discuss fiction vs. nonfiction, time, new vocabulary (ex: detective), and they even made predictions of what would happen the next week based on the last two pages. The illustrations are realistic and let the reader see what might happen if frogs were able to fly through town.The frogs had fun just like a child would if they were able to fly. The author uses the few words to show the reader different times of day.

The back flap includes a biography on the author. ( )
  maryalvarez | Nov 11, 2016 |
A good picture book with a lot of detail. While reading the book it will be confusing to understand the meaning of the story but at the end the story connects the details and images. When I viewed the story I did not quite understand the message or meaning until the end of the story. great for creative writing and infrenecing. ( )
  sarahperez | Nov 8, 2016 |
This book is very interesting it is about one type of animal flying on a specific night. It is a great book for first to fourth graders. I would use this book in my class to help bring in predicting. ( )
  DinahW | Nov 8, 2016 |
Tuesday was a wordless picture book that to me depicted a very interesting Tuesday. This book allows for multiple opportunities to make inferences and question what is going on in the story. If I were to use this in my classroom I would want to allow my students to make inferences and write questions that could possibly be solved later on after they finish the whole book. ( )
  kaitlyn_king | Nov 7, 2016 |
For Tom Sgouros
Tuesday evening, around eight.

This nearly wordless story is told through detailed, colorful, and imaginative illustrations. It is the story of the flight of frogs from the swamp through the town on their lilly pads during the night. Sometimes the illustrations take up two full pages, and sometimes they're cut into frames. For example, the first page has three frames of roughly the same picture. However, as you examine them, you see that, from top to bottom, each picture brings you closer to the main object: the turtle standing on a log. Most of the illustrations are done in cool colors to give the feeling of night. This feeling is sharply contrasted by the scene in the kitchen which is very white and bright, giving the impression of being very well-lit. The illustrations are truly all that was needed to tell the story. I think that words would have been a distraction. The flying frogs have no reason to talk, and no human actually sees them. However, as I was "reading" the story, I could hear chirruping crickets and buzzing mosquitoes in the first page as the turtle waits for what he is about to see, and I could hear Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" throughout the frogs' flight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395870828, Paperback)

"Tuesday evening, around eight"--a deceptively mundane beginning for what proves to be a thrilling, miraculous, and surreal amphibian journey. Slowly and quietly on this particular Tuesday, a few fat frogs begin hovering over a swamp, riding lily pads like magic carpets. Clearly satisfied and comfortable, the floating frogs are as serene as little green buddhas. Gradually, the flying fleet grows in momentum and number, sailing over the countryside and into an unsuspecting town. These frogs know how to have fun--startling the occasional bird, waving webbed feet at late-night snack-eaters, and even changing the channels on a sleeping granny's television. As day breaks, the frogs lose their lily pads, head back to the pond, and wait impatiently for their next scheduled departure.

Tuesday won the 1992 Caldecott Medal and, among other honors, was named as an ALA Notable Children's Book. The critical acclaim will come as no surprise to anyone who opens the pages of this beautiful and humorous book. With hardly any words (except those noting the time), David Wiesner creates a wondrous romp as silent as the middle of the night. Using the rich purples, blues, and greens of late evening, Wiesner draws readers into the warm, incandescent world of frog flight. "Read" this wordless wonder to children and savor it for yourself as well. Chances are, you and the youngsters will both find yourselves poised at the window, hoping to catch a few airborne frogs in the act. (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Frogs rise on their lily pads, float through the air, and explore the nearby houses while their inhabitants sleep.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,806,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible