Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Tuesday by David Wiesner

Tuesday (original 1991; edition 1997)

by David Wiesner

2,2942042,772 (4.34)17
Member:belgatherial
Title:Tuesday
Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Sandpiper (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Books
Tags:book, picturebook, fiction

Tuesday by David Wiesner (1991)

Summary:
This story is about on a Tuesday night at 8:00 p.m. some frogs go on a magical adventure through the town. They are flying on Lilly pads looking through windows of humans in their homes. Around 4:30 a.m. they fly back to the pond. In the morning time Police and neighbors are trying to figure out why there were Lilly pads on the street.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this book without it allowed me to use my imagination and make my own story to it.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom we could read the story and have each student make their own story of what is taking place.
2.We could talk about frogs and discuss new facts about them. ( )
  christyb2020 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Summary: What I like about this children's story is that it doesn't really have a summary. Since this book is just pictures it is open to anyone's interpretation. So for the summary I will give you my interpretation. This is a story about frogs on lily pads that can fly at night. They soar through the town on their lily pads- never seen by humans but causing havoc nonetheless. When dawn starts to break they fall off their lily pads as they crash to the ground- scrambling to find their ponds and streams. The next morning, police and investigators search the town to find the answer to all the lily pads strewn across the roads. Then the next Tuesday, the same thing occurs except with pigs.

Argument: I read this book in fifth grade and really enjoyed it because we did a project with it. Since this book is just pictures, my class was able to create the storyline using the illustrations- so we basically made a book. I really like the open-ended and creative qualities of this book. This book is not only great for children who cannot read yet but also for those who can. Young and older children can create their own story as they look at the pictures on each page. It fosters creativity and imagination and inspires young children as authors. They can make it like a comic strip or a novel-there is no right answer. This is a great book for teachers because there are so many projects and activities that can be done with it and it works for a variety of grade levels. Children will like that it is not a normal book and can have fun with it.
The main message or goal of this book is to inspire creativity, imagination, and curiosity. It also shows children that anything is possible and that there are any perspectives and ways to take meaning from a story. ( )
  stomas5 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Wiesner shows a reoccurring them in his books with animals. There is little words in this book to tell the tale of a group of frogs adventure. The story helps children use their imagination.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
In this wordless book, odd things keep happening on a Tuesday. Fun for a "read-aloud" for developing language, and for a great example of fiction, when contrasting fiction and non-fiction. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |
A fun adventure! One Tuesday evening, frogs begin flying around on lily pads. The people don't notice, but in the morning lily pads litter the town- the people can't figure out the mystery. The next Tuesday, pigs start to fly. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 27, 2014 |
For Tom Sgouros
Tuesday evening, around eight.

This nearly wordless story is told through detailed, colorful, and imaginative illustrations. It is the story of the flight of frogs from the swamp through the town on their lilly pads during the night. Sometimes the illustrations take up two full pages, and sometimes they're cut into frames. For example, the first page has three frames of roughly the same picture. However, as you examine them, you see that, from top to bottom, each picture brings you closer to the main object: the turtle standing on a log. Most of the illustrations are done in cool colors to give the feeling of night. This feeling is sharply contrasted by the scene in the kitchen which is very white and bright, giving the impression of being very well-lit. The illustrations are truly all that was needed to tell the story. I think that words would have been a distraction. The flying frogs have no reason to talk, and no human actually sees them. However, as I was "reading" the story, I could hear chirruping crickets and buzzing mosquitoes in the first page as the turtle waits for what he is about to see, and I could hear Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" throughout the frogs' flight.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395870828, Paperback)

"Tuesday evening, around eight"--a deceptively mundane beginning for what proves to be a thrilling, miraculous, and surreal amphibian journey. Slowly and quietly on this particular Tuesday, a few fat frogs begin hovering over a swamp, riding lily pads like magic carpets. Clearly satisfied and comfortable, the floating frogs are as serene as little green buddhas. Gradually, the flying fleet grows in momentum and number, sailing over the countryside and into an unsuspecting town. These frogs know how to have fun--startling the occasional bird, waving webbed feet at late-night snack-eaters, and even changing the channels on a sleeping granny's television. As day breaks, the frogs lose their lily pads, head back to the pond, and wait impatiently for their next scheduled departure.

Tuesday won the 1992 Caldecott Medal and, among other honors, was named as an ALA Notable Children's Book. The critical acclaim will come as no surprise to anyone who opens the pages of this beautiful and humorous book. With hardly any words (except those noting the time), David Wiesner creates a wondrous romp as silent as the middle of the night. Using the rich purples, blues, and greens of late evening, Wiesner draws readers into the warm, incandescent world of frog flight. "Read" this wordless wonder to children and savor it for yourself as well. Chances are, you and the youngsters will both find yourselves poised at the window, hoping to catch a few airborne frogs in the act. (Ages 4 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

Frogs rise on their lily pads, float through the air, and explore the nearby houses while their inhabitants sleep.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible