Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (elephantshoe, liberlibri, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheBentley)
    Matched by Ally Condie (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (flemmily)
    flemmily: Very similar heroines in similarly closed-off, oppressive worlds. Similar emphasis on an unknown "outside." Similar environmental emphasis, although Westerfeld focuses more on nature, whereas Snyder deals more with issues of population control.
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Specials by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: Very similar dystopian societies where an operation is meant to subdue the members.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (goodiegoodie)
    Skinned by Robin Wasserman (Phantasma)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (clif_hiker)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (KingRat)
    KingRat: The White Mountains contains issues similar to those of Uglies: secret control of a society, "mind control", induction into that society, and rebellion against it while pretending to be a member. There are obvious major differences too. Still, enough similarities in style and substance that I suspect people who enjoy one will enjoy the other.… (more)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jbarry, liberlibri)
    Gamers by Thomas K. Carpenter (terriko)
    terriko: Great teen fiction! Gamers posits a world where everyone competes using games to define their future, while Uglies posits a world where everyone becomes pretty at 16. While these are pretty different worlds, both books chronicle stories of heroines not going quite where their society expects them to go...… (more)
    Extras by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    XVI by Julia Karr (JoriPie)
    JoriPie: Similar Plots
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar theme: A girl lives in a brainwashing, conformist society. A group of rebels knows the truth and is trying to break the control of those in power. The girl must choose between what she's been raised to think and the people she cares about/what she knows to be true.… (more)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (aeleone)

English (494)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (502)
This is my second time reading this book and I love it. It is a great dystopian novel full of plot twists. Each character is very well written. The plot is very unique. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Uglies was an amazing book that I enjoyed cover to cover. It remains one of my favorites. Things went a little down on Specials for me, though I still thoroughly enjoyed the book. With each book in the series however, I was growing more disappointed and really never completely enjoyed the series ending. This series started out brilliant for me but declined with each book.
However, that was just my personal experience and I hope that others were able to continue enjoying each book as much as I enjoyed the first. ( )
  ZarriahRose | Jul 12, 2014 |
Uglies is a dystopian story that follows a girl named Tally as she nears her 16th birthday--a birthday, in this world, that triggers one's ascension into the world of pretties. Becoming a pretty involves some serious cosmetic surgery, but one leaves the operation scientifically beautiful. The idea is that in a world where everyone is beautiful, people can live without strife. When we first meet Tally, she's counting down the days until she can undergo the operation. However, Tally befriends a girl named Shay, the first person she's met who doesn't seem to think the operation is all it's cracked up to be. In typical dystopian fashion, Tally begins to uncover secrets that people would desperately like to keep covered.

I enjoyed the writing quite a bit, although I wasn't in love with Tally as a character. She seemed somewhat naive to me, but a lot of the characters seemed to think she was smart. For instance [SPOILER] throwing the locket in the fire seemed like a pretty unintelligent move to me. If she's aware of all the technology her society has on their hands, why would she think that they wouldn't be able to remotely access it? Or not even consider the fact that destroying it might do something? All I could think was that I'd throw it in a river or try and get it on a bird. Anything to get it as far away from me as possible. Her indecision was also pretty frustrating. I got bored with her inability to decide whether or not to set off the signal in the locket. I know it had to be a hard decision to make, but I just wanted her to choose already.

Besides those few things, though, I enjoyed it. When I wasn't bored with Tally, I was enthralled with the plot (even though I called from the first chapter what I think was supposed to be the big plot twist). It was mostly well-written and interesting. I really liked reading about the hoverboarding. I also liked the commentary on appearance and its importance in society, although the circumstances in the book itself are obviously extreme. I'd give it a 4/5 and would recommend it to others. ( )
  trisarahdactyl | Jul 9, 2014 |
This is, second to Harry Potter, the BEST book that we have read in book club.

Parts of it are predictable, but in a way where you know something tragic is going to happen, and you want to yell out and warn the characters.

And the last line? Oh man. Must read the sequel. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is, second to Harry Potter, the BEST book that we have read in book club.

And the last line? Oh man. Must read the sequel. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The Uglies books are the perfect parables of adolescent life, where adult-imposed milestones, rituals, and divide-and-rule tactics amp children's natural adolescent insecurities into a full-blown, decade-long psychosis.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Turning Pretty

Is it not good to make society full of beautiful people?

- Yang Yuan, quoted in The New York Times
The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.
Part II: The Smoke

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

- Francis Bacon, Essays, Civil and Moral, "Of Beauty"
Part III: Into the Fire

Beauty is that Medusa's head

Which men go armed to seek and sever.

It is most deadly when most dead,

And dead will stare and sting forever.

- Archibald MacLeish, "Beauty"

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689865384, Paperback)

Playing on every teen’s passionate desire to look as good as everybody else, Scott Westerfeld (Midnighters) projects a future world in which a compulsory operation at sixteen wipes out physical differences and makes everyone pretty by conforming to an ideal standard of beauty. The "New Pretties" are then free to play and party, while the younger "Uglies" look on enviously and spend the time before their own transformations in plotting mischievous tricks against their elders. Tally Youngblood is one of the most daring of the Uglies, and her imaginative tricks have gotten her in trouble with the menacing department of Special Circumstances. She has yearned to be pretty, but since her best friend Shay ran away to the rumored rebel settlement of recalcitrant Uglies called The Smoke, Tally has been troubled. The authorities give her an impossible choice: either she follows Shay’s cryptic directions to The Smoke with the purpose of betraying the rebels, or she will never be allowed to become pretty. Hoping to rescue Shay, Tally sets off on the dangerous journey as a spy. But after finally reaching The Smoke she has a change of heart when her new lover David reveals to her the sinister secret behind becoming pretty. The fast-moving story is enlivened by many action sequences in the style of videogames, using intriguing inventions like hoverboards that use the rider’s skateboard skills to skim through the air, and bungee jackets that make wild downward plunges survivable -- and fun. Behind all the commotion is the disturbing vision of our own society -- the Rusties -- visible only in rusting ruins after a virus destroyed all petroleum. Teens will be entranced, and the cliffhanger ending will leave them gasping for the sequel. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:43 -0400)

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there. But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible