Uglies (The Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies (The Uglies) (edition 2011)

by Scott Westerfeld

Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:To read
Rating:***

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (elephantshoe, liberlibri, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheBentley)
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (flemmily)
    flemmily: Very similar heroines in similarly closed-off, oppressive worlds. Similar emphasis on an unknown "outside." Similar environmental emphasis, although Westerfeld focuses more on nature, whereas Snyder deals more with issues of population control.
    Matched by Ally Condie (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (goodiegoodie)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (LauraT81, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    LauraT81: Very similar dystopian societies where an operation is meant to subdue the members.
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these intense dystopian novels, teenage girls start to question the life-changing operation their oppressive government mandates for teens. Both girls redefine their values and grapple with the possibility of escaping to a rebellious colony in the wilderness.… (more)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Specials by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Skinned by Robin Wasserman (Phantasma)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (KingRat)
    KingRat: The White Mountains contains issues similar to those of Uglies: secret control of a society, "mind control", induction into that society, and rebellion against it while pretending to be a member. There are obvious major differences too. Still, enough similarities in style and substance that I suspect people who enjoy one will enjoy the other.… (more)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (clif_hiker)
    Gamers by Thomas K. Carpenter (terriko)
    terriko: Great teen fiction! Gamers posits a world where everyone competes using games to define their future, while Uglies posits a world where everyone becomes pretty at 16. While these are pretty different worlds, both books chronicle stories of heroines not going quite where their society expects them to go...… (more)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jbarry, liberlibri)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar theme: A girl lives in a brainwashing, conformist society. A group of rebels knows the truth and is trying to break the control of those in power. The girl must choose between what she's been raised to think and the people she cares about/what she knows to be true.… (more)
    The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian (sturlington)
    Beta by Rachel Cohn (Aleana)
    XVI by Julia Karr (JoriPie)
    JoriPie: Similar Plots

English (559)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (567)
Is the only thing that keeps us warring and petty fighting that we are different physically? If were all able, in fact forced, to achieve the same standard of beauty, would we be perpetually happy and content? If you lived in New Pretty Town, your answer would be yes. If you were growing up, waiting for your operation so that you didn't have to look at your imperfections, you would probably also say yes. But what if the concept of individually and embracing, or at least not obsessing, physical flaws was deemed radical and dangerous? The book follows these questions and attempts to answer them.

While this is a beautiful idea for a book, it's only skin deep. These premise has the ability to create a profound, emotionally rich story and yet it falls short. As an early-young adult book, it may read differently. As an adult read, I won't find myself picking up the next book. ( )
  Sovranty | Jul 15, 2016 |
I loved the premise of this book, what a clever idea. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Uglies #1
Audio narrated by Emily Tremaine
2-1/2*

YA dystopian novel where 16yos are moved from the area where "Uglies" live to "New Pretty Town" after they've finally...ohmigerd received the operation they've waited for their whole lives which makes them unnaturally charming and pretty...and vapid, obviously. The surgery also affects how they think and luckily for the crazy people in charge, it also makes them lose any will to have a mind of their own to say "Hey, maybe I don't want this to happen to me. Maybe I'm good enough and pretty enough and gosh darn it, people like me." Instead, they spend all day gazing into the mirror and insulting the uglies for being, well, just so ugly. How can they stand being ugly? I don't understand it either. Losers.

We don't really learn in this first book why the nutsos in charge are doing this, but we are supposed to get fired up by the rebellious people who live outside of the city in the "Smoke" who are doing their best to find a way to reverse the effects of the operation and eventually rescue those they love.

I'm not sure if I care enough at this point to continue on with the series. It's not terrible. I was just tremendously bored reading it. (haha I know. I was trying to be nice.) It may be because I'm 45 and not 13. It may be because I was hoping that by the end of this book the main protagonist would have figured out that everyone in her city is ugly because all they care about is their looks. If the magazine Cosmopolitan became an actual city, this would be the place where all the sane people would be trying to escape from before they had the operation which made them all 'pretty' but all looking like Barbie dolls. Oh. Like Los Angeles or "Facebook Town". Right. Huh. An example of real life in literature. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Jun 17, 2016 |
This is an engrossing novel that delves into the concept of beauty. There is nothing too violent or sexual so it should be appropriate for teens. It is not a difficult read but the concepts are very thought provoking.

The three main novels (Uglies, pretties, and specials) are meant to be read together as the first two do not resolve everything and they all build off each other. ( )
  missmimsy | Jun 14, 2016 |
Not as bad as Hunger Games, but that's really not saying much. ?This, at least, I wouldn't keep away from children as likely to twist them into being unhappy ppl and bad citizens. ?áBut I found it cliched, predictable, and tedious. ?áDef. YA w/ the romance and the brave, smart teens vs. the mean or at least clueless & incompetent adults. ?áYes, I know, the lesions give Westerfield an excuse to make it so, but still it's ridiculous. ?áNot good SF either, because nothing (except hoverboards) is actually explored fully. ?áI suppose we'll learn a bit more about who implemented the ritual of the 'turning' in the sequels, but in the kind of book I like, that history would be key. ?áAnd the ending of this - wtf? ?áWhy would that plan seem like a good idea? ?áOh, right, because it gives Westerfield more to write about.

I will say this - it's an immersive adventure, and easy to get lost in. ?áAnd if you're a more inexperienced reader than I, you can more easily overlook it's flaws. ?áGood for you. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The Uglies books are the perfect parables of adolescent life, where adult-imposed milestones, rituals, and divide-and-rule tactics amp children's natural adolescent insecurities into a full-blown, decade-long psychosis.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Turning Pretty

Is it not good to make society full of beautiful people?

- Yang Yuan, quoted in The New York Times
The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.
Part II: The Smoke

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

- Francis Bacon, Essays, Civil and Moral, "Of Beauty"
Part III: Into the Fire

Beauty is that Medusa's head

Which men go armed to seek and sever.

It is most deadly when most dead,

And dead will stare and sting forever.

- Archibald MacLeish, "Beauty"

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689865384, Paperback)

Playing on every teen’s passionate desire to look as good as everybody else, Scott Westerfeld (Midnighters) projects a future world in which a compulsory operation at sixteen wipes out physical differences and makes everyone pretty by conforming to an ideal standard of beauty. The "New Pretties" are then free to play and party, while the younger "Uglies" look on enviously and spend the time before their own transformations in plotting mischievous tricks against their elders. Tally Youngblood is one of the most daring of the Uglies, and her imaginative tricks have gotten her in trouble with the menacing department of Special Circumstances. She has yearned to be pretty, but since her best friend Shay ran away to the rumored rebel settlement of recalcitrant Uglies called The Smoke, Tally has been troubled. The authorities give her an impossible choice: either she follows Shay’s cryptic directions to The Smoke with the purpose of betraying the rebels, or she will never be allowed to become pretty. Hoping to rescue Shay, Tally sets off on the dangerous journey as a spy. But after finally reaching The Smoke she has a change of heart when her new lover David reveals to her the sinister secret behind becoming pretty. The fast-moving story is enlivened by many action sequences in the style of videogames, using intriguing inventions like hoverboards that use the rider’s skateboard skills to skim through the air, and bungee jackets that make wild downward plunges survivable -- and fun. Behind all the commotion is the disturbing vision of our own society -- the Rusties -- visible only in rusting ruins after a virus destroyed all petroleum. Teens will be entranced, and the cliffhanger ending will leave them gasping for the sequel. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:03 -0400)

Just before their sixteenth birthdays, when they will will be transformed into beauties whose only job is to have a great time, Tally's best friend runs away and Tally must find her and turn her in, or never become pretty at all.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,598,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible