Uglies (The Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies (The Uglies) (edition 2011)

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (1)

Member:auroraerin
Title:Uglies (The Uglies)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (elephantshoe, liberlibri, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (KamTonnes)
    KamTonnes: Uglies and The Giver both portray societies that limit conflict by having very specific rules, roles, and expectations for everyone. Also, in both stories, the main characters slowly start to question the values of their respective communities.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheBentley)
    Matched by Ally Condie (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (flemmily)
    flemmily: Very similar heroines in similarly closed-off, oppressive worlds. Similar emphasis on an unknown "outside." Similar environmental emphasis, although Westerfeld focuses more on nature, whereas Snyder deals more with issues of population control.
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary)
    PamFamilyLibrary: An intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    Specials by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: Very similar dystopian societies where an operation is meant to subdue the members.
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (goodiegoodie)
    Skinned by Robin Wasserman (Phantasma)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (clif_hiker)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (KingRat)
    KingRat: The White Mountains contains issues similar to those of Uglies: secret control of a society, "mind control", induction into that society, and rebellion against it while pretending to be a member. There are obvious major differences too. Still, enough similarities in style and substance that I suspect people who enjoy one will enjoy the other.… (more)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (jbarry, liberlibri)
    Gamers by Thomas K. Carpenter (terriko)
    terriko: Great teen fiction! Gamers posits a world where everyone competes using games to define their future, while Uglies posits a world where everyone becomes pretty at 16. While these are pretty different worlds, both books chronicle stories of heroines not going quite where their society expects them to go...… (more)
    Extras by Scott Westerfeld (ysar)
    XVI by Julia Karr (JoriPie)
    JoriPie: Similar Plots
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (2Mu)
    2Mu: Similar theme: A girl lives in a brainwashing, conformist society. A group of rebels knows the truth and is trying to break the control of those in power. The girl must choose between what she's been raised to think and the people she cares about/what she knows to be true.… (more)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (aeleone)

English (499)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (507)
When everyone in Tally's community turns 16 they undergo an operation to turn them pretty, what could be better. Tally is 15 and is counting down the days until her birthday. One night, when sneaking out to see her friend who was recently turned pretty, she meets a young girl her age named shay. Shay is not like the other uglies at all, she does not want to be turned into what society called pretty. When Shay runs away and joins a group of rebels, the Government refuses to give Tally her operation she finds Shay.
I found this book when well written, predictable. I was bored through the start to the end. The author also left out some information I would have liked to known. Scott Westerfeld briefly describes the characters and the setting, we know little about the characters backstories and the development of the society. I would not recommend this book. ( )
  MoBo14 | Sep 28, 2014 |
When I first started reading this book I could not get into it. The first few chapters felt flat and juvenile. However, I stuck with it and I am so glad I did. After about 80 pages the story really stepped. The dystopian world really interested me and as the story progressed and the world building continued, it became scarier and scarier.

Overall I really enjoyed this book but the slow start means it gets a 4.5/5 rather than a 5/5 from me. I will be reading the rest of the series soon. ( )
  Pinniped23 | Sep 19, 2014 |
I could probably read eveything Scott Westerfield writes and probably will- I like to read complete libraries of authors to see how they change over time.
Okay- getting to it. Uglies was a really good take on how our society views beauty- and why wouldn't everyone want to be just like everyone else? Yikes. I really think there would be so much thinking involved. :-) There are some good discussions cloaked in there-
As I am reading more and more - authors are not afraid to make their main character unlikable. Unlike in the past when the main character was always completely likable and only the "bad guys" were bad. Tally not the most likable but she grows on you. ( )
  joyelett | Sep 18, 2014 |
This seemed more like dystopia then science fiction. It was about the coming of age surgery that made all children equally pretty but with a kinda big downside. I won't spoil it but it wasn't my story. I didn't like Tally, for her choices were pretty terribly. I wouldn't read it again. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Tally Youngblood from Uglyville cannot wait until her 16th birthday. That will be the day she gets her operation and turns gorgeous like everyone else and move to Pretty town where her only job will be to have fun. Then she meets Shay who is even more adventuresome than she, and tells her about some people living in a different society that treasures the individuality that each person is naturally born with. When Shay runs off right before her birthday, Tally is forced by Special Circumstances to turn on her friend, track her down and betray the Smoke. Once she sees the society and learns the secrets behind the operation, and falls for David, the young leader of the group,Tally must decide what it is she really wants. A thought-provoking novel and first in a series, this book is good for grades 6 & up. ( )
  sgrame | Aug 13, 2014 |
The Uglies books are the perfect parables of adolescent life, where adult-imposed milestones, rituals, and divide-and-rule tactics amp children's natural adolescent insecurities into a full-blown, decade-long psychosis.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 1, 2006)

Scott Westerfeldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaskoll, YaffaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelleteri, CarissaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Part I: Turning Pretty

Is it not good to make society full of beautiful people?

- Yang Yuan, quoted in The New York Times
The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.
Part II: The Smoke

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

- Francis Bacon, Essays, Civil and Moral, "Of Beauty"
Part III: Into the Fire

Beauty is that Medusa's head

Which men go armed to seek and sever.

It is most deadly when most dead,

And dead will stare and sting forever.

- Archibald MacLeish, "Beauty"

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689865384, Paperback)

Playing on every teen’s passionate desire to look as good as everybody else, Scott Westerfeld (Midnighters) projects a future world in which a compulsory operation at sixteen wipes out physical differences and makes everyone pretty by conforming to an ideal standard of beauty. The "New Pretties" are then free to play and party, while the younger "Uglies" look on enviously and spend the time before their own transformations in plotting mischievous tricks against their elders. Tally Youngblood is one of the most daring of the Uglies, and her imaginative tricks have gotten her in trouble with the menacing department of Special Circumstances. She has yearned to be pretty, but since her best friend Shay ran away to the rumored rebel settlement of recalcitrant Uglies called The Smoke, Tally has been troubled. The authorities give her an impossible choice: either she follows Shay’s cryptic directions to The Smoke with the purpose of betraying the rebels, or she will never be allowed to become pretty. Hoping to rescue Shay, Tally sets off on the dangerous journey as a spy. But after finally reaching The Smoke she has a change of heart when her new lover David reveals to her the sinister secret behind becoming pretty. The fast-moving story is enlivened by many action sequences in the style of videogames, using intriguing inventions like hoverboards that use the rider’s skateboard skills to skim through the air, and bungee jackets that make wild downward plunges survivable -- and fun. Behind all the commotion is the disturbing vision of our own society -- the Rusties -- visible only in rusting ruins after a virus destroyed all petroleum. Teens will be entranced, and the cliffhanger ending will leave them gasping for the sequel. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:43 -0400)

Just before their sixteenth birthdays, when they will will be transformed into beauties whose only job is to have a great time, Tally's best friend runs away and Tally must find her and turn her in, or never become pretty at all.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible