The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins, a…

I have generally been pretty happy with the parallel Dear America series, but was disappointed as a parent that this book mentions in passing a rumor that certain girls "are easy". I didn't like it because of this. Not what I want my son reading about. I felt the blood and shooting were portrayed in a reasonable way considering the subject matter of the book and the rest of the book was fairly decent. ( )
  dayspring777 | Feb 22, 2016 |
This was a good book. 4.5 out of 5 stars. I did enjoy it, it was a good read, especially since I had family that was on Omaha Beach on D-Day, but I don't know. Something just wasn't there for me to give it that extra half star. I would still read it again, I'm glad I read it and I would recommend it for sure. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
I liked reading this book for a few reasons. I like how the author formatted this book. This book is broken up by journal entry and each entry varies in size. I thought this format was a good choice because it helps the book to stay true to the World War 2 era it is trying to represent. I also liked that it is written in first person point of view. The author uses the POV to really express to the reader how Scott is feeling through the book. This perspective helped to show case Scott’s emotions in a powerful and memorable way. The message of this story is to persevere. During battle, the worst possible scenario happens and Scott is separated from his unit. However, despite the terrible situation Scott uses his wits and bravely to survive the bloody and deathly battle. Due to his perseverance and drive to never give up he is able to survive the battle and eventually return home. ( )
  KerryMcLaughlin | Dec 2, 2015 |
The book was about Scott Collins, a soldier who fought in D-Day in Normandy, France. On the way he became a sergeant. The army took two cities and a beach. He was promoted to a sergeant, because he defeated a scout group by himself. I liked this book because WWII is a topic I enjoy. The book had unending cliffhangers. For example, once he was in a foxhole being shelled and at the end of the entry you don’t know if he is okay. Then he wrote again in three days. ( )
  EliW6 | Dec 28, 2014 |
RGG: Written in diary entry form, very detailed and graphic description of the landing at Normandy and the fighting that ensues over the next few weeks. Reading Level - 12.
  rgruberexcel | Nov 15, 2012 |
May 25, 1944 - This journal was given to me by my uncle Richard, my mother's brother. He was the only one who gave me a gift at the going-away party my folks had for me.

A seventeen-year-old soldier from central Virginia records his experiences in a journal as his regiment takes part in the D-Day invasion of Normandy and subsequent battles to liberate France.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,582,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible