The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kathryn Stockett (Author)

25,480140785 (4.37)1 / 1160
In Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962, there are lines that are not crossed. With the civil rights movement exploding all around them, three women start a movement of their own, forever changing a town and the way women--black and white, mothers and daughters--view one another.
Member:nakeshabrownreads
Title:The Help
Authors:Kathryn Stockett (Author)
Info:Berkley (2011), Edition: Media Tie In, Reissue, 544 pages

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (2009)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Alliebadger, Alie, Neale, readysetgo)
    Neale: Both deal with racial issues and are slow moving but enjoyable
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user)
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (laytonwoman3rd)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (jennyandaustin)
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (olimamma)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (paulkid)
    paulkid: Race relations on different continents, told from multiple female perspectives.
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (susiesharp)
    Roots by Alex Haley (mcenroeucsb)
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works are written from the perspective of a white female who has to gain the trust of her subjects -- African Americans who have suffered before and during the civil rights era -- to tell their story. In the end, they become friends and everyone contributes to the small amount of progress being made.… (more)
    Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (teelgee, BookshelfMonstrosity, momofthreewi)
    Substitute Me by Lori Tharps (DDay)
    DDay: This recommendation might be a little out there, but this book is about a white couple in NYC who hire a young black woman to be their nanny. It's modern look at the issue of race and the role of domestic workers in a family. Sort of a chance to see how things have changed since the 60s and what issues are still present.… (more)
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (MrsPeachum)
    Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven (conceptDawg)
    Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both deal with the disparity between the races in the 60s. The Help focuses more on the present (the 60's) while Cold Rock River is set in a more rural, less gentrified area with excerpts from a journal of a slave.
    The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell: A Novel by Loraine Despres (susiesharp)
    Your Blues Ain't Like Mine by Bebe Moore Campbell (mcenroeucsb)
    The Outer Banks House by Diann Ducharme (dawnlovesbooks)
    dawnlovesbooks: same themes of southern racism
    The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Help is a moving novel about a young white woman who discovers the effects of racism on black women and their families in mid-1960s Mississippi; The Dry Grass of August portrays similar discoveries for a white teenage girl in the mid-1950s.… (more)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (krizia_lazaro)
    Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White by Brooke Newman (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Black domestics in white households in civil rights-era USA.

1960s (39)

English (1,345)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (11)  French (6)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Estonian (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (1,406)
Stockett is one hell of a good storyteller. I find that I am still thinking about her characters and their lives, and can't help but wish for a sequel equally as moving, to tell us what happens to these people we have come to care about, particularly Miss Mae Mobley. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
Another one that I own, but haven't bothered to pick up,
  ewarrington | Oct 23, 2020 |
This book is a must-read. It captures why race relations, particularly in the US, are so complicated, and treats everybody with the dignity of their humanity. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
For as much as I was engrossed in it when I was reading it, I felt strangely empty when I was done. I felt like another reviewer did, that it didn't hit hard enough. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book immensely, in part because of my own childhood upbringing in the 1960s and 1970s in southern Illinois, with a mother and other family from the deep South. The book's amazing immersion into the culture of that region and time period, and even the dialects, took me back home. I didn't grow up in a family with a black maid, so I can't identify with that. But this story takes you into a unique perspective of that era and I personally wrestled with ever putting down the book down (which I read on my handy little Nook, by the way). I want to read it again because I know I'll get even more out of the second reading. The characters are rich and varied in their personalities and desires and, despite the heavy context of the story, there are some very entertaining moments. The plot keeps you hooked to find out what will happen as a group of maids secretly tell what their lives are like working for white families in a period when speaking out could be quite devastating. Stockett skillfully captures some of the complexities of black-white relationships back then. I felt this complexity in a variety of ways while I grew up but have never been able to articulate it. I thank this author for stepping out there with this work. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
This is fun stuff, well-written and often applause-worthy. My only problem with The Help is that, in the end, it’s not really about the help.

I finished The Help in one sitting and enjoyed it very, very much. It’s wise, literate, and ultimately deeply moving, a careful, heartbreaking novel of race and family that digs a lot deeper than most novels on such subjects do.

As black-white race relations go, this could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since To Kill a Mockingbird... If you read only one book this summer, let this be it.

“Mississippi is like my mother,” [Stockett] writes in an afterword to “The Help.” And you will see, after your wrestling match with this problematic but ultimately winning novel, that when it comes to the love-hate familial bond between Ms. Stockett and her subject matter, she’s telling the truth.

Her pitch-perfect depiction of a country's gradual path toward integration will pull readers into a compelling story that doubles as a portrait of a country struggling with racial issues.

Kathryn Stockettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ingrid VollanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svendsen, Birgitte VictoriaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bronswijk, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Grandaddy Stockett, the best storyteller of all
Mae Mobley was born on a early Sunday morning in August, 1960.
De bus jakkert door State Street. We steken de Woodrow Wilson Bridge over en ik klem m'n kaken zo stijf op mekaar dat m'n tanden zowat breken. Ik voel dat bittere zaadje groeien in m'n binnenste, 't zaadje dat is geplant toen Treelore dood ging. Ik wil 't liefst zo hard gillen dat Baby Girl me kan horen dat smerig geen kleur is, dat ziekte niet de zwarte kant van de stad is. Ik wil voorkomen dat 't moment komt- en 't komt in 't leven van elk blank kind- dat ze begint te denken dat zwarten slechter zijn als blanken.
I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.
My face goes hot, my tongue twitchy.  I don't know what to say to her.  All I know is, I ain't saying it.  And I know she ain't saying what she want a say either and it's a strange thing happening here cause nobody saying nothing and we still managing to have us a conversation.
"Can't afford no air-conditioning. Them things eat currant like a boll weevil on cotton."
Constantine wrote to me on parchment paper that folded into an envelope.

THE LIFE STORIES OF AFRICAN AMERICAN MAIDS LIVING IN ALABAMA BEFORE AND DURING THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT.
Black women raise kids/of white women who make them/use separate toilets (LC Brooks)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241950805, 0241956536

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,762,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible