The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Kathryn Stockett

19,264122483 (4.39)1 / 1052
Member:letseatgrandpa
Title:The Help
Authors:Kathryn Stockett
Info:Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam (2009), Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (2009)

Recently added byLakir, SLVLIB, jayelaglez, kimg77, private library, Alpha2015, lynnie_d, eLuna95, arpitzain
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Alliebadger, Alie, Neale, readysetgo)
    Neale: Both deal with racial issues and are slow moving but enjoyable
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Anonymous user)
    Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (laytonwoman3rd)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (jennyandaustin)
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (olimamma)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (paulkid)
    paulkid: Race relations on different continents, told from multiple female perspectives.
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (susiesharp)
    Roots by Alex Haley (mcenroeucsb)
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works are written from the perspective of a white female who has to gain the trust of her subjects -- African Americans who have suffered before and during the civil rights era -- to tell their story. In the end, they become friends and everyone contributes to the small amount of progress being made.… (more)
    Five Smooth Stones by Ann Fairbairn (shesinplainview)
    Substitute Me by Lori Tharps (DDay)
    DDay: This recommendation might be a little out there, but this book is about a white couple in NYC who hire a young black woman to be their nanny. It's modern look at the issue of race and the role of domestic workers in a family. Sort of a chance to see how things have changed since the 60s and what issues are still present.… (more)
    Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (teelgee, BookshelfMonstrosity, momofthreewi)
    Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven (conceptDawg)
    Jubilee by Margaret Walker (MrsPeachum)
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (krizia_lazaro)
    Cold Rock River by J.L. Miles (bookwormteri)
    bookwormteri: Both deal with the disparity between the races in the 60s. The Help focuses more on the present (the 60's) while Cold Rock River is set in a more rural, less gentrified area with excerpts from a journal of a slave.
    I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots by Susan Straight (shesinplainview)
    The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell: A Novel by Loraine Despres (susiesharp)
    The Outer Banks House by Diann Ducharme (amanaceerdh)
    amanaceerdh: same themes of southern racism
    Jenniemae & James: A Memoir in Black and White by Brooke Newman (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Black domestics in white households in civil rights-era USA.

English (1,168)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (11)  French (6)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Finnish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Estonian (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,225)
Much better than the movie and I thought the movie as pretty good! ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is probably one of the best books I have read this year! I LOVED IT !! Jackson, Mississippi - 1962 - "hippies" were not yet heard of - Martin Luther King was just gaining speed - segregation was the norm and violence prevailed. Everyone employed "coloured" domestics. They were allowed to raise your chldren for you, but heaven forbid they should use your bathroom or put away your silver without it being counted first. Skeeter Phelan sees the obsurdity of all this, but feels defenseless to do anything about it until she uses her greatest weapon, her writing ability. She gains the trust and cooperation of a bakers dozen of "dometics" to tell their stories in a book she hopes to publish. This book is her book. It tells the story of "the help" and those who employ them. (I listened to the audio book and the readers were AMAZING ... adding so much to the experience of the story)
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Though this wasn't a rip-roaring drama, I really enjoyed these characters and loved to hate a few of them. I would give the story 4.5. I was anxious to see how they portrayed everyone in the movie and I'm glad it stayed true to the author's original story. ( )
  LoriCrane | Jul 13, 2015 |
There are so many layers to this book and multiple mountains of reviews that I could parrot. So Ill point out what stuck with me most.

It never ceases to surprise me, shock me - reading about the norms of prejudice in the US in this era. As someone born in the 1970s, the lessons I was taught about valuing culture, customs, and diverse ethnicities were so vastly different than those born a mere 20 years before. Even more so, raising my own kids with the best of lesson so they do not forget either.

Kathryn Stockett writes incredibly well, and with such permanence for the reader - these characters just stick with you. I'm left wondering how these children grow up. Mae Mobley especially. Will she become a reflection of the sentiments of her time or someone to effect change in her generation? Sticks with you, I say.

Overall, I ran a gamut of emotions while reading. I recommend sitting down with tissue nearby, prepare to laugh, to feel and have these characters roll around in your head for a time. ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 21, 2015 |
If I could give this 10 stars, I would. The women in this book are an inspiration, the stories are incredibly warm, funny, hard, and true. It made me feel every single emotion.
This book will stay with me for a very long time. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
This is fun stuff, well-written and often applause-worthy. My only problem with The Help is that, in the end, it’s not really about the help.

I finished The Help in one sitting and enjoyed it very, very much. It’s wise, literate, and ultimately deeply moving, a careful, heartbreaking novel of race and family that digs a lot deeper than most novels on such subjects do.

As black-white race relations go, this could be one of the most important pieces of fiction since To Kill a Mockingbird... If you read only one book this summer, let this be it.

“Mississippi is like my mother,” [Stockett] writes in an afterword to “The Help.” And you will see, after your wrestling match with this problematic but ultimately winning novel, that when it comes to the love-hate familial bond between Ms. Stockett and her subject matter, she’s telling the truth.

Her pitch-perfect depiction of a country's gradual path toward integration will pull readers into a compelling story that doubles as a portrait of a country struggling with racial issues.

Kathryn Stockettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, OctaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Grandaddy Stockett, the best storyteller of all
Mae Mobley was born on a early Sunday morning in August, 1960.
De bus jakkert door State Street. We steken de Woodrow Wilson Bridge over en ik klem m'n kaken zo stijf op mekaar dat m'n tanden zowat breken. Ik voel dat bittere zaadje groeien in m'n binnenste, 't zaadje dat is geplant toen Treelore dood ging. Ik wil 't liefst zo hard gillen dat Baby Girl me kan horen dat smerig geen kleur is, dat ziekte niet de zwarte kant van de stad is. Ik wil voorkomen dat 't moment komt- en 't komt in 't leven van elk blank kind- dat ze begint te denken dat zwarten slechter zijn als blanken.
I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.
My face goes hot, my tongue twitchy.  I don't know what to say to her.  All I know is, I ain't saying it.  And I know she ain't saying what she want a say either and it's a strange thing happening here cause nobody saying nothing and we still managing to have us a conversation.
"Can't afford no air-conditioning. Them things eat currant like a boll weevil on cotton."

Passionnant drôle et émouvant , La couleur des sentiments a conquis l'Amériques avec ses personnages inoubliables .Une jeune bourgeoise blanche et deux bonnes noires . Personne ne croiraient à leur amitié; moins encore la toléraient . Pourtant , poussées par une sourde envie de changer les choses , malgré la peur , elles vont unir leurs destins , et en grand secret écrire une histoire bouleversante . THE LIFE STORIES OF AFRICAN AMERICAN MAIDS LIVING IN ALABAMA BEFORE AND DURING THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT.
Black women raise kids/of white women who make them/use separate toilets (LC Brooks)

Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step.

Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone.

Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken.

Minny, Aibileen’s best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobody’s business, but she can’t mind her tongue, so she’s lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own.

Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.

In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women—mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends—view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don’t.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:15 -0400)

In Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962, there are lines that are not crossed. With the civil rights movement exploding all around them, three women start a movement of their own, forever changing a town and the way women--black and white, mothers and daughters--view one another.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241950805, 0241956536

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible