The frog scientist by Pamela S. Turner

The frog scientist (edition 2009)

by Pamela S. Turner, Andy Comins

Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-Fiction, Science, Biography

The Frog Scientist by Pamela S. Turner

Pamela S. Turner is a well-known children’s book writer. She earned a B.A. in Social Science at the University of California and a Master of Public Health from the University of California. Her works include Gorilla Doctors, Life on Earth and Beyond, Project Seahorse, Prowling the Seas, A Life in the Wild, and The True Story of Loyal Dog. One of Turner’s books, The Frog Scientist, not only invokes a sense of environmental concern. It is also very inspirational.

Turner begins The Frog Scientist with a tagalong of Dr. Tyrone Hayes and his family. This is no ordinary family picnic. The Hayes family is out catching frogs for Dr. Hayes’ project. Dr. Hayes’ wants to find out how leopard frogs have been affected by the pesticide atrazine.

Turner then introduces the reader to Dr. Hayes who is far from being the stereotypical African-American male. He played with and studied frogs since he was a kid. His determination and hard work would later take him to Harvard University. Although Turner does not spend a lot of time telling the reader about Dr. Hayes, his life story is extraordinarily moving.

The world faces a problem. Frogs are missing. Turner tells the reader about frog disappearances around the globe and what people are doing to address the dilemma. Her book focuses on one scientist in particular, Dr. Hayes.

From there, the book enters the realm of science. In further detail, Turner discusses Dr. Hayes’ study. The reader the journeys through the scientific method as they read about each step of Dr. Hayes’s hypothesis, research, experiments, and findings.

The Frog Scientist is well illustrated with colorful photos that add a little more to the east-to-read narrative. The book includes a glossary for those unfamiliar terms and a page filled with photos and names of the frogs and toads featured in the book. Turner provides a few resources for readers who may be interested in helping their own communities, websites, and tools for educators. Not only did Turner rely on field experience and interviews to write this book, she also turned to books written by Dr. Hayes and a few other authors. ( )
  bdharrel | Mar 19, 2014 |
This was a very interesting story, but it seemed to drift back and forth between the controversy over atrazine and other factors of Tyrone's life (as well as brief chapters on amphibians), as well as various stories on frogs. Tyrone Hayes is a real scientist with an incredible personality and a love for his research; his experiences relate how with enough passion and hard work he was accepted to Harvard University and became a scientist who studied amphibians. His is a story of science that is fascinating because of his outdoor research and the true impact of his work - the book makes science cool.

Furthermore, the book itself is chock full of colorful pictures of various frogs and toads (including dissections), simple scientific charts and diagrams, and pictures of Tyrone and his family. The reader has a good understanding of Tyrone Hayes and his work with the aid of basic terminology. For those seeking more information, there is a glossary in the back of the book that defines some scientific words, and there is a list of the species of frogs and toads mentioned in the book. This is a good quick read that can more easily maintain the attention of younger people and can possibly encourage an interest in science, a win-win. The writing wanders off track sometimes with the passage about the Amphibian Ark, but otherwise the narrative and the visuals are stimulating. ( )
  jraley | Mar 10, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, but was also confused. It seemed to try and follow two different topics. First we are introduced to Dr. Tyrone Hayes, a biological scientist. We rarely get stories about young black men growing up to be scientists. I was really fascinated with this part of the book. I loved hearing the story about the police incident when he tried to check out books from the library. This is the kind of content I was expecting based on the title of the book. However as the book went on, it shifted towards a technically written book about his research. While I agree that it is important to mention his research, Dr. Hayes himself is much more interesting. The family atmosphere and practical jokes he plays with his lab assistants are much more inline with what i thought I'd gain form the book. His research was interesting, but it is very technical for young readers. Reproductive biology seems to be something children don't cover until much alter in school, yet the writing style of the book seems to aim at younger readers.

I had some problems with the physical layout of the book. I appreciate the columned layout and a handful of master page layouts used. This made it easy for me to follow along. However the type face for the image captions was too similar to the main body text. I sometimes got lost and confused as the story continued to the next page, but my eyes moved instinctively to the next column that was only image captions. They should have chosen a smaller size or perhaps a bold or italicized type face to help the cations stand out. Simply changing from a serif typeface to a sans-serif one wasn't enough to keep me from repeatedly getting lost.

The images included were spectacular. I had never seen so many types of frogs in one resource. I was surprised to see images of dissected frogs in the book, complete with blood. Again this was due to the impression the writing style gave me, of being a book for young readers. ( )
  BJPetrie | Mar 9, 2014 |
I didn't enjoy this book. At times, I didn't know what the focus of the book was supposed to be. The title suggests that the scientist is the focal point. However, reading makes me think the frogs and the research take the forefront. Also, the organization of the book is not efficient. I do not like having to jump from one side to the other to match the text with the picture. One page may talk about a specific frog, but the picture that illustrates this frog is on the next or previous page. Maybe the author wanted to incorporate a bit of interactivity in the book, but it isn't to my taste.
  jhuynh5 | Mar 9, 2014 |
The Frog Scientist is an interesting amalgam of true stories. Pamela Turner discusses Tyrone's everyday life as a scientist, his story as a student and a teacher, and the story of Tyrone attempting to answer questions about atrazine's effects on frogs. She also discusses the effect that racial issues has had on him in his life, and the resistance his research received because of the effect it would have on big business. The stories are all interwoven, and the book benefits from that--readers who are not big fans of science have other things to draw their interest.

Also a big part of the effectiveness of this book, the photographs are vivid and eye-catching. From lab processes, to many types of frogs, to Tyrone's questionable eighties fashion choices, the pictures add interest and make it about so much more than science, although science if the engine that drives almost all parts of the book.

At the end of the book are glossaries of terms and frogs that were featured. There is also a whole page of recommended websites and a solid bibliography assembled from reliable sources. The book appears to be well-researched and it gives educators a lot of options to guide students through further study. I would recommend this book. ( )
  Melissalorio | Mar 9, 2014 |
Gr 5-8--Being raised in then strictly segregated Columbia, SC, couldn't keep a smart young African-American man out of college, even prestigious Harvard University. Floundering in an unfamiliar milieu, Tyrone Hayes caught the attention of a serious science professor who recognized tire potential of this struggling student and became his mentor. Turner's lucid text and Comins's clear color photos follow Hayes's developing career to his present respected place as a gifted member of the scientific community. Researching the effects of atrazine-contaminated water on vulnerable amphibians, he is surrounded by the "Frog Squad," a group of enthusiastic students pouncing on flogs in ponds or collecting careful data in the lab. Grinning from pierced ear to pierced ear (and that is a story in itself), the genial scientist nurtures his assistants, encouraging their enthusiasms while demanding serious work. Of the same sterling quality as Sy Montgomery's engaging The Tarantula Scientist (2004) or her exciting Quest for the Tree Kangaroo (2006, both Houghton), this new addition to a stellar series opens an upbeat window to the adult application of youthful enthusiasms.--Patricia Manning, formerly at Eastchester Public Library, NY
added by kthomp25 | editSchool Library Journal, Patricia Manning

A capitivating and beautifully photographed Scientists in the Field title about a man trying to discover the effects pesticides have on frogs and, in turn, on us.

When Tyrone Hayes was growing up in South Carolina, he didn’t worry about pesticides. He just liked to collect frogs. Tyrone’s interest in science led him to Harvard University, and though he struggled at first, he found his calling in the research lab of an amphibian scientist.
Meanwhile, scientists discovered that all around the globe, frogs were dying. The decline has many causes, including habitat loss and disease. Tyrone discovered that the most commonly used pesticide in the United States, atrazine, may also play a role. Tyrone tested atrazine on frogs in his lab at Berkeley. He found that the chemical caused some of the male frogs to develop into bizarre half-male, half-female frogs. What was going on? That’s what Tyrone wants to find out.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:59 -0400)

Tyrone Hayes works to discover the effects pesticides have on frogs and, in turn, us.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible