City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (672)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (685)
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare begins with the death of a demon at the crowded dance floor of Pandemonium Club. Fifteen year old girl Clary watches three Shadowhunters kill a blue haired daemon, but she doesn´t know that he is a demon. Although her friend Simon can't see them.
When she returns home late, her mother cracks and declares that they are going to take a holiday away.
But her mother vanishes, and secrets surface; she isn´t who she thought she was; her mother has lied to her.
She discovers that every story is true: vampires, fairies, warlocks and sword wielding shadow hunters, and they live in her world.
It is a rich story to fall in love with, filled with complex characters and plot.
I particularly loved side character Jace. He has a sad past and an intriguing personality that evolves as the plot twists. Some of the dialogue is great and funny.
Cassadra Clare offers an intriguingly complex world with reams of backstory involving numerous characters, creatures, factions, and relationships. In addition to the various sides among the Shadowhunters, there are vampires, werewolves, faeries, warlocks, and others, each group with its own politics, powers, and agendas.
She offer a full action-packed story told in vivid and melodramatic prose that carries the reader along and makes the story fascinating. ( )
  helen16 | Jul 23, 2016 |
For over a year my daughter told me I needed to read this book. Then we went to the movie and that made me want to read the series. Same thing with the Twilight series. I didn't want to read it until I saw the movie. I enjoyed this book. It always fascinates me how people we can't see, vampires, werewolves and other "creatures" are portrayed pretty closely in all stories and that just possibly, you never know, they could be walking around among us. I liked the idea of shadowhunters. I think this book is about family, friendship and the strength of character. I enjoyed the fight scenes but I enjoyed the relationships that were built between the characters. I'm interested to see what happens in the next book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
So. This book is not good...
Because it is the first book in a massive series I was hoping for a strong introduction and unfortunately this was not it.
The plot was inconsistent, the world building super rushed and faulty and the characters annoying.
It got better towards the ending but I'm still disappointed. Hope the next one is better... ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
Possible Spoilers:
I don't know why some people hated this book. I thought it was good. The concepts were different from anything else I've read. It had some of the same themes, but it wasn't the same regurgitated story. Or at least not to me.

Sadly I saw the movie first and I have to say it wasn't the best representation of the original text. I like it a lot less now that I've read this book. It wasn't completely horrible, but there were changes they made that I think were unnecessarily.

For example it was pretty much implied that Valentine had completely lied about Jace being his son, while in the book it seems as though it was the absolute truth. Now of course I have to read the rest of the series to find out what's truth and what are lies. I just feel like if they lied in the movie just to get Jace and Clary together that just dumb. If there HAS to be romance (because that has to be a plot device of everything these days, even if it wasn't meant to be) they already have Simon. And in the book it seems like Clary has some not-quite-friend-like feelings for Simon, so there's your romance right there.

No matter which way it goes, the small bit of question of whether or not they're truly related makes for great angst. I kind of hope they are siblings just because I'm sure most people to think it'll turn out that they're not and get to live happily ever after. I think a different kind of happily ever after will be refreshing. Anyway I liked it and will definitely continue with the rest of the series. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 26, 2016 |
This book was dreadful. I don't think I actually read more than a chapter at a time; I became a champion skimmer for this thing.

imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,595,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible