City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

8,352None369 (3.97)271
Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

adventure (68) angels (74) Cassandra Clare (45) demons (253) ebook (44) faerie (68) family (51) fantasy (705) fiction (348) horror (42) magic (122) Mortal Instruments (153) New York (59) New York City (49) own (42) paranormal (154) read (90) romance (137) series (164) shadowhunters (85) supernatural (144) teen (82) to-read (211) urban fantasy (284) vampires (319) warlocks (37) werewolves (230) YA (319) young adult (440) young adult fiction (47)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (501)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  All languages (512)
I can't fairly rate this book because I didn't finish it. Maybe it was disappointing because of all the hype. By page fifty, I was irritated at all the info dumps and distracting asides. Was the editor asleep? I forced myself to keep going. After all, they're making a movie from this! Page 136 I realized I was only a quarter of the way through and there was nothing I liked thus far. End of the road.
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 15, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: One of the best young adult paranormal series I have read.

Opening Sentence: “You’ve got to be kidding me,” the bouncer said. Folding his arms across his massive chest.

The Review:

Clary Fray is just your average teenage girl living in the city of New York with her mother. She has been best friends with nerdy Simon Lewis since first grade and they do pretty much everything together. One night Clary drags Simon to the Pandemonium Club in the city and her life is changed forever. Clary witnesses three strangely marked teenagers committing a murder, and the weird thing is that she is the only one that seems to be able to see them. Then the body just magically disappears and so there’s no way Clary can report the crime or was it even a crime at all?

This is Clary’s first encounter with the Shadowhunter’s and the gorgeous infuriating Jace Wayland. Shadowhunters are taught from a young age to fight and kill demons. They use special ruins to protect and hide from the human eye and the fact that Clary can see them is very unusual. Soon Clary’s world turns upside down, her mother is kidnapped and she herself is attacked by a demon. It turns out that her ties to the Shadowhunter’s world goes back further then she could have ever imagined.

I completely adore Clary, she is a girl that fights for what she wants and isn’t afraid to speak her mind. Her mother was a great artist and Clary has inherited her artistic talent. She grew up as an ordinary girl so when she was thrown into this new world it is a big adjustment, but she never complains. I love that she just takes everything in stride and tries to help in any way that she can. She has a fiery attitude to match her red hair, but she is also a very sweet and caring person. She is such a well rounded character that was easy to like and admire. If you like a kick butt heroine with an attitude you will love Clary Fray.

Simon Lewis has been best friends with Clary since they were little kids, but Simon has always felt more for Clary than friendship. He is shy and unsure how she feels about him so he has never tried to make a move. Unfortunately for Simon, Clary is totally oblivious of his feeling for her. Simon is just one of those guys that is a genuinely good person, he will do anything for those he cares about. He is just a really nice guy that you feel slightly bad for because of his situation. I really love Simon and wish I had a best friend just like him.

Jace Wayland is the epitome of what a hot guy should be like. He has a killer body, an angel-like face, and is a total jerk. What’s not to love? To be honest, I fell madly in love with Jace right off the bat. There is just something about him that makes you melt inside. He is cocky and knows that he is a total catch but he is also slightly broken inside. He feels like he has something to prove to everyone and he doesn’t like to let people in. When he meets Clary, there is this instant chemistry between the two that continues to build throughout the story. Pretty much everything about Jace is perfect and he will forever be one of my all time favorite book boys.

City of Bones is a fast paced novel brimming with suspense, action, and romance. I have read this book multiple times and each time is as good as the first time. There are really no words to describe how much I love this series and all of its characters. At times you are left breathless and can’t believe “that” just happened and other times you are left giddy inside from the sweet moments. This story will cause you to feel a range of emotions good and bad, but it is totally worth it. Cassandra Clare is one of my all time favorite authors and I will gladly read anything she writes. Another plus to this book is that it will be equally enjoyed by both guys and girls. My husband has read this series and really enjoyed it. If you are a paranormal fan and you haven’t read this book, I honestly don’t know what you are waiting for. You should go and pick it up today because it is one of the best series I have ever read.

On a side note, I wanted to mention that when I was sent City of Bones from the publisher they also included The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, and the Shadowhunter’s Guide as well. I thought I would mention a few things about them. If you are big fan of the books or movie then these materials would be a great addition to your collection. The movie companion gives all of the details about filming the movie and how they cast the characters. The book also details what some of their inspiration was for certain scenes they shot, interviews from the cast, and many photos from the movie. I found the content interesting and very informative. The Shadowhunter’s Guide features photos, facts about the characters, and detailed information about the workings of the Shadowhunters, Downworlders, and demons. I do want to say that I did go see the movie in theaters when it was released and while it was in no way nearly as good as the book, I still thought it was pretty good. I am very excited for City of Ash to go to the big screen and I will be going opening weekend to see it. If you are a fan of learning more about the process of movie making or are just a huge fan of the series like me, I would recommend picking up these special edition books.

Notable Scene:

A shriek tore itself out of Clary’s throat. She staggered backward, tripping, and fell, just as the creature lunged at her. She rolled to the side and it missed her by inches, sliding along the wood floor, its claws gouging deep grooves. A low growl bubbled from its throat.

She scrambled to her feet and ran toward the hallway, but the thing was too fast for her. It sprang again, landing just above the door, where it hung like a gigantic malignant spider, staring down at her with its cluster of eyes. Its jaws opened slowly, showing a row of fanged teeth spilling greenish drool. A long black tongue flickered out between its jaws as it gurgled and hissed. To her horror Clary realized that the noises it was making were words.

“Girl,” it hissed. “Flesh. Blood. To eat, oh, to eat.”

FTC Advisory: Margaret K. McElderry Books/Simon & Schuster provided me with a copy of City of Bones. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 9, 2014 |
When I originally picked up this book it was for a couple of reasons. One, it was everywhere this fall, and two, because I've heard people raving about it. I was instantly pulled into this world. Clare does an excellent job of building a culture of Shadowhunters and Downworlders. The characters are unique and complex. If I had any beef with City of Bones at all, it was that I felt like I didn't really know Clary at the end of it—not the way I wanted to. However, as you'll read in my follow-up reviews, that problem is immediately resolved for me in book two. This was a great read—you will get hooked on this series! ( )
  Stephanie_Keyes | Apr 3, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, but the ending really made me mad. I'm not giving up yet and will decide after I've read the next two books in the story whether or not I really liked it. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
This is one of the most AMAZING book series i have read right next to Divergent by Veronica Roth. I am giving this book 10 out of 5 it was awsome! im only onto City of Ashes but the series is all ready amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
added by mordore | editMe

SPOILER ALERT

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!? hodge is a Traitor!?!?!?

I apologize for anyone who hasnt gotten to that part yet but its youre fault for reading this i said SPOILER ALERT
added by mordore | editMy Book

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible