City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (568)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (580)
DNF
I really tried to read it but after four days I'm only halfway in. I just couldn't get into it, (IMO) Clary is TSTL, Jace is a prepotent jerk, Simon is king of lame & I care even less about the rest of the cast.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Let me start by saying that this was one of the most intense books I have read so far all year. I am ...wow, I am not even sure where to begin to be honest. But I am going to try. Also, I always strive to be spoiler free, but I may fail miserably and if I do I am so sorry.

Let's start with Clary. Something about her, well, she just felt odd to me. Like, what you saw on the surface really couldn't be who she really was. In the beginning of the book she struck me as kind of, well, bratty. But she grew on me as the book progressed and I felt as if I really knew her.

Simon, the ever-present puppy-dog style lovestruck boy. How I wish I had someone who was that into me in high school, but alas, I was the geeky,nerdy girl. Oh crap, I think I was Simon!

Jace. What can I say, something about the description of that boy in the book got my heart pumping. I wanted to cry toward the end, I was so sad for the characters.

But if I am being honest, I think my favorite Character was probably Isabelle. Something about her. She was not afraid to tell it like it is, even if people's feelings got hurt, and that was refreshing to me.

The worldbuilding was amazing, in my opinion. I could picture the greenhouse. I could picture Idris in my mind and wanted to go there!

And, bonus, I have nothing to complain about with the editing. This is unsettling and unusual to me!

I know that there was some drama and controversy with this book, with it being stated about HP fan fiction, and I can see the similarities. But here is the thing. If you write, you are invariably going to be influenced by what you read. The biggest thing that stuck out at me was the Valentine/Voldemort thing. But the story itself was so unique and different that it was entirely new to me and I really enjoyed reading it.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I first heard about this book when I was browsing my book recommendations on GoodReads and it looked interesting. Cassandra Clare is definitely great at sucking you into her alter universe. How cool would it be if the book was real and certain people had the ability to see "more"!? Once I started this book, I could not put it down. This is hands down a great read and worth picking up! ( )
  stellarkateness | Feb 16, 2015 |
City of Bones is the first non-vampirey book I've read, in about a year, so it was definately different and it did grab my interest! Ok, so it's still paranormal and vampires are mentioned, but I love the idea of the shadowhunters. I thought Clary's introduction to the world of shadowhunters was very well done, it reminded me a little of the Chicagoland Vampires series, but Clare writes with more depth and details. I adore Jace, he is so interesting to me and I can't wait to see how his character evolves. I love his confidence, and the way he trys to isolate himself just draws me more to him. Clary was interesting as well, she is so young, and very inconsistent, but I don't blame the author for this, I think all her actions are typical of a 15 year old girl. She's so mature in some ways, but still seems a little selfish to me. The twist at the end definately surpsised me, and I'm ready to start City of Ashes to see how the relationships between all the characters progress. This is a storyline that I am very excited about following because it seems worth a series. ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,756,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible