City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

11,519706233 (3.91)320
Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (693)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All (708)
I really, really wanted to like this book. The cover, the description, and the following that this series has all said to me that it would be amazing. But it was an enormous let-down. What bothered me the most was that it was incredibly badly written. Clare used the same words over and over, as if she doesn't know the definition of synonym. I also think it would have been a much better read if it had been written in the first person from Clary's pov, instead of third. Speaking of Clary, I found her to be a painfully annoying and fragile character. In the first chapter, she began as a kind of rebel girl, going to clubs and crushing on blue-haired guys. After that, she basically turned into a wimp. She's extremely slow on the uptake and the very last person to put two and two together in any situation. The fact that she made out with her own brother doesn't seem to bother her in the least is absolutely disgusting. I've read a few reviews saying Clare pretty much copied most of her book from things like Harry Potter, and I have to say that I agree once these silarities were pointed out. All in all, this book was very disappointing and frustrating. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
I have picked this book up so many times and I just could not get past the first one or two chapters. I do not know what was holding me back. I think since I was reading this so late and there are so many more books in the series, I have been turned off. I finally grabbed the audio book for a long road trip to see if I could get into this popular series.

The audio book narration was only ok. I did not love it, but I thought it was enjoyable enough to finish it.

I actually really enjoyed the story and the characters. There were some twists and turns along the way that kept me interested and I am curious to know how some of these twists will unfold throughout the rest of the series. I like the ending as it left you wondering who to believe and what would happen next with each character.

I really loved Jace. He is so sarcastic, but I enjoyed it and found myself smiling or laughing at some of his quick comebacks. I also enjoyed the other characters and look forward to seeing how they each grow in the next books.

Overall, I am happy I finally finished this book. I look forward to reading the rest in the series. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Apr 13, 2017 |
Absolutetly wonderful book. Would recomend to anyone. Book pulls you into an amazing world and can keep you there for hours. Wonderful characters great story line. An absolute must read for YA lovers! ( )
  dmytrukc | Mar 13, 2017 |
Best book ever!! I have recommended this book to everyone I know. The movie was ok and the show is horrible. ( )
  DanaG1989 | Mar 2, 2017 |
I have yet to read "City of Heavenly Fire" but thats only because my library has a back log of 43 people wanting to get their hands on it. Otherwise I'd be devouring it right now.

If you're going back and forth between wanting to read this series or not, based on the reviews below... I'd say read it. Don't let other opinions turn you off of something you might enjoy.

But as a warning... the best way to read the series is as follows

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments)
City of Ashes (TMI)
City of Glass (TMI)
Clockwork Angel (THE INFERNAL DEVICES, yes it's a different series in the same universe, but frankly it needs to be read here.)
City of Fallen Angels (TMI)
Clockwork Prince (TIF, yes, once again step to the side and read this before moving on)
City of Lost Souls (TMI)
Clockwork Princess (TIF, this is the last book in the spin off series and... be prepared to cry uncontrollably. I shan't tell you now if they will be happy or sad tears)
City of Heavenly Fire (TMI)

This order is SO IMPORTANT I cannot stress that enough. When you first start it feels so WEIRD to get into a whole other set of characters lives before you're done with Clary and Jace... But you'll thank me in the end. There were so many "AHA" moments (good and bad and heart stoppingly sad) that just fit when read this way.

Trust me. ( )
1 vote KendraFitz | Feb 27, 2017 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,777,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible