City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (662)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (675)
I kind of liked the books as long as I remembered it was YA. I read the series in 2012 and even watched the movie, which was terrible, but had hoped the tv series would redeem the movie. So far, after seeing the first two episodes, it has been a let down. The writer(s) need to clean up the script s it souls more realistic. The actors are unbelievable in the roles. They are just saying their lines. Their faces and body language betray them. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Just read the books. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
City of Bones is the first book in The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. City of Bones focuses on the main character, 15 year old Clary Fray, who unexpectedly witnesses Shadowhunters killing a demon in a nightclub called Pandemonium in New York City. The problem is, she isn't supposed to be able to see them. Jace, a Shadowhunter, a warrior tasked with ridding the earth of demons, finds her again the next night at a coffee shop. From these, she is pulled into the ´╗┐supernatural world that is that of the Shadowhunters and encounters things like demons, werewolves and vampires that she never thought existed. When Clary's mother disappears and she finds herself being attacked by a demon, she realizes that everything she thought she knew about her life is wrong. She gets deeper into the Shadowhunters and Jace's world, while trying to find her mother and figure out why she suddenly has the Sight.

First, I know I am late to the party by not reading this fantastic series until now. I read half of City of Bones when I was in college, but was busy with my undergrad and never finished it. The book went MIA and then I saw the whole series in a thrift shop a few weeks ago and bought it. I really loved this book. The author has created such a magical world with all of the characters. I have found some fantasy books to be too long but this was perfect, even at almost 500 pages. The author takes the time to describe all of the characters, places and events in enough detail that we really get to know everyone and everything, but without going overboard. I felt like I really got to know Clary, Jace and Simon, as well as Isabelle, Alec and Luke. The book also, to me, has the perfect balance of action and character development. There was also some romance. The book is told from more of a narrators perspective, which I really liked as well. Most of the fantasy series I have read, such as The Hunger Games or Divergent, are told from only one main perspective. I really can't believe it took me this long to start the series. For fans of fantasy series, I imagine if you haven't already read this book/series, you will greatly enjoy it. I couldn't put it down and read the entire thing in 2 days. I am really looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I try really hard not to put any specifics or spoilers in any of my reviews so that's all I will say about that! If you haven't read City of Bones, I highly suggest you go buy it and probably the rest of The Mortal Instruments series while you are at it! Happy reading! ( )
  mrsreadsbooks | Apr 26, 2016 |
It was torture to finish this book.

I remember with the last few pages I screamed out in frustration because of the stupidity of the plot and the idiotic sentences that were actually written down.

Why?

This could have been something great!!!!!!!!!

Why did you ruin it.

(Sigh)
my reaction :

The real Father of Clary.

DUH

Simon loves clary.

Well why else would he ONLY hang out with you!

page 240 :

(sitting with my hand in my hair whispering it is almost finished it is almost finished)

page 245:

ARE YOU %%$%$%@# kidding me #@# @#@$@$ !!!!!!!!!!!

Page 250:

Hitting my head against the wall as I'm trying to finish this.

page 250:

Cries with joy as the end is in sight.

Are there no more good paramoral novals :'(

Remember Harry Potter ... Sigh

My last comment...

(Sigh)

SnowBookHollow | Apr 13, 2016 |
Actual rating 4.5!

The ending was just.....interesting.... I am however dying to see where it all goes from here!!!! ( )
  DanaBurkey | Apr 10, 2016 |
While to some extent a YA paranormal romance is a YA paranormal romance, by 2/3 of the way through this book I couldn't see how on earth it could be resolved, so finished it in a rush. Any book you had to stay up late to finish gets four stars, I think.

The book doesn't get five stars because of the totally forgettable "rat part" and some pacing problems (like Luke's backstory exposition, which comes a little too late in the book to be useful). I also found it pretty hilarious that Jace has never EVER seen a photograph of Valentine, clearly an important recent-history personage. Kind of a head-desk.

The magic is cool, the teenagers are teenagery, the fight scenes are fairly badass. I'll read the next one. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible