City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (618)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (631)
Couldn't put this down. ( )
  lvoisin | Feb 13, 2016 |
Just love it.When i started reading it i just couldnt stop the writer is extremely talented. ( )
  Shazarah | Feb 6, 2016 |
Typical YA fantasy. Really enjoyed it though. Clary isn't too annoying and I liked the alternative vision of NY. Twist at the end had been hinted at too much to be a real surprise but all in all a good read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |

Originally posted here

The world of the Shadowhunters is set in New York where demons are roaming the earth and gifted people with angel blood are protecting the 'mundane' human race by sending the demons back from whence they came. It is a very cool concept. It does have a slight Supernatural vibe, and there were some elements that screamed Harry Potter at me. I wouldn't necessarily say this book is 100% original because it just isn't. That didn't bother me though as the story really entertained me, and when it comes to books what else essentially matters?

My favourite character is Jace. He is very cocky, cheeky and pretty full of himself and that suits him. Jace notices Clary when the rest of his group, Alec and Isabelle, wanted to ignore her completely. There are some pretty romantic scenes between Jace and Clary, their burgeoning relationship is kind of a slow burn.

Simon is pretty irritating to me, he is obsessed with Clary and seems oblivious to all the friend zone signals she is firing at him. I find him pretty dense and pouty at times, he tends to be an unnecessary clingy hanger-on that kind of tags along with the group on occasion with no purpose really.

It is pretty slow to start and doesn't really become great until past the halfway mark. This book was very nearly rated as a 3 star if it wasn't for the phenomenal twists near the end. Once I finished City of Bones, I had the immediate desire to continue on with the series and I am excited to see where the journey will lead me.
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I had read some pretty mixed reviews of this book, so I was actually pleasantly surprised by how entertained I was by it. There were a few twists/betrayals that I was actually fairly surprised by, which doesn't happen all that often to me. Clare's built an interesting and pretty unique universe for a very popular genre, which isn't that easy to do. I'll be very interested to see where this series goes next. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,264,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible