City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (591)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (603)
"As a huge fan of the fantasy gender, I couldn't resist reading this book after I saw the movie trailer. At first I thought it would be just one more cheap failure, but I was wrong. It was fun to be introduced to the world of Nephilim and their relationships with other creatures like vampires, warlocks and even the fair folk. The idea of using tattoos as a tool for channeling power is also very original.

For those who have never heard of this books before, here is a very quick overview: they are about Clarissa Fray, a common high school girl, art lover, who has a best friend called Simon, who has her life turned upside down once she discovers that she is not a common human being. After some incidents happen during her birthday, she meets Jace Lightwood, a Shadowhunter - a supernatural guardian, born from Nephilims (people with actual angel blood) that, apparently, protect our planet against demon invasions. After some quick conversations and, so to speak, tests, they come together to the conclusion that Clary is a Nephilim as well. From this point, she is taken to the nearest Shadowhunter headquarters, which are called Institutes, where she gets acquainted to unimaginable things, like the affirmation that vampires, fairies, warlocks, werewolves and other fairy tale monsters really exist. Of course being thrown into this whole new world puts her mother and friends in serious danger.

About the main characters, Clary, for me, is not the most interesting or complex of characters; she has really cool skills, like the ability to draw and paint really well. She is also sensitive to other's feelings and is also utterly stubborn when it comes to defending her beliefs; it's the kind of stubbornness that makes you think ""Yes! You're right! You go girl!"", not the kind that makes you think the character is just stupid. Regardless, I didn't feel she has what it takes to be an active leader. She is more of those behind-the-curtain leaders that others follow around because they are just too crazy, but, generally, make good decisions.

To be honest, the thing that I most liked about Clary is that she brings Simon into the story, and Simon is an amazing character: ironic, funny, courageous, nerdy-smart; there's just nothing to not like about him. Apparently, though, Simon and me don't share the same nonchalant opinion about Clary. It seems he has a crush on her that goes way back, but she is just too blind to see it, until it comes to a point where he is practically rubbing it under her nose: ""'I was trying to make you jealous!' Simon screamed, right back. His hands were fisted at his sides. 'You're so stupid, Clary. You're so stupid, can't you see anything?'"". You can imagine how the poor guy reacts when he starts noticing how Clary, all of a sudden, starts being a little too interested in Jace.

Speaking of Jace, even though I didn't find him the most interesting of characters, as well, I can't help liking him way more than Clary, at least. He is so irritatingly full of himself that he just makes me laugh all the time: ""Clary turned instant traitor against her gender. 'Those girls on the other side of the car are staring at you.'
Jace assumed an air of mellow gratification. 'Of course they are,' he said, 'I am stunningly attractive.'""
. It becomes apparent throughout the story that he uses all this sarcasm as a way to mask his real emotions, which he only really shows around closer friends, like Isabelle and Alec, since he doesn't like admitting to feeling deep feelings like love. It's easy to understand why Jace turned into someone like that, though, given that, yet as a child, he would learn lessons like: ""to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed."". In my opinion, it's a little of a cliche for Clare to display him as a hurt, cold-hearted hero if she is planning on making him gradually melt down his psychological armor; still, at least he is a more interesting character than Clary.

Regarding Clary's mother and her best friend, Luke, they were not explored that much on this book, so there's not much to talk about them, really, but they seem real good fellows. Conclusively, I like how Clare managed to balance the story telling with the obvious ""teenager love at first sight"" cliche, what made the romance scenes a little bit more tolerable. To be honest, I don't even care about Clary and Jace, what really drove me to finish the book was the well thought out story line and other much more complex and fun characters like Isabelle, Simon and Valentine.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Only people with no purpose are unhappy.

The Last Passage
She didn't hear him laugh, but she felt it, vibrating through his rib cage and into her fingertips. She held on tightly as he angled the cycle up, gunning it so that it shot forward and darted up the side of the bridge like a bird freed from a cage. Her stomach dropped out from under her as the silver river spun away and the spires of the bridge slid under her feet, but this time Clary kept her eyes open, so that she could see it all." ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Decent plot. Lousy writing. Three stars for the teens. One star for the well read. Compromise is two. Teens will like this book because it has all the classic plot points teens crave. A feisty female protagonist. A sarcastic, loves me/loves me not romance. A pseudo twist (that an intelligent person could flesh out well in advance). An underdog supporting male character. Grown-ups who are completely unreliable. Werewolves and vampires. Take out the werewolves and vampires and you essentially have The Hunger Games, but anyone who seriously analyzes the book will quickly realize that they are dealing with an amateur writer.

Cassandra Clare can't hold water to some of her famous contemporaries. Suzanne Collins and Veronica Roth are miles ahead in their writing abilities. I haven't seen the movie version of the book, but heard it was a dud. Duh! That's what you get when you try to make creme brûlée with rubbish ingredients. Don't get me wrong. The book has imagination, but so does my 12-year-old. Though the plot connects, it gets a little ridiculous at times. Books about nonhuman races and slithering demonic creatures have an element of possibility. After all we've got people who devote their lives to proving the existence of Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, ghosts, etc. But a human turning into a rat? Come on. Rats and werewolves are not the same. Clare lost all credibility with me when she failed to see the stupidity of that idea. Her fame and her talent are not on an equal plane. She was smart enough to capitalize on the current teen literary fad, but mostly, she just got lucky. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
After reading City of Bones, I can assure you I am not the same. I do not see the world as I used to; I draw runes in my hands and on sheets of paper. Cassandra Clare opened up a new world for me with the sassiest of male characters I have ever met and will always love (ehem, Jace..)
Great book! I love this series ( )
  jayelaglez | Jul 31, 2015 |
Uma leitura ligeira q mistura demónios, vampiros, lobisomens e caçadores de demónios com mundanos e demasiadas inspirações a Harry Potter. Engraçado mas muito previsível indo buscar os clichés a todos os elementos de fantasia já inventados. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
FAN, violence, swords, knives, vampires, fairies, warlocks
  prichter | Jul 26, 2015 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,134,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible