City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:hobbitsies
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:*****

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (531)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  All languages (542)
I found this to be a relatively easy read, as in fairly easy to ease into the world of Shadowhunters. I didn't go into this book with high expectations as everyone's opinions about this book varies widely, after all the same could be said about The Hunger Games or Twilight or another other Young Adult series. Although, having watched the movie first, it may have influenced my opinion about the first book a tiny bit.

I have to admit, parts of the story was interesting, especially the fight scenes and stuff. Places and things were fairly descriptive and relatively easy to picture. The storyline is fairly believable, but also complex at the same time.

I found the climax so-so, where it was fairly predictable and a tiny bit anti-climatic considering there wasn't that much going on besides Valentine talking with his children and fighting with Luke. I kind of expected more, especially seeing how there are more books after this one. So the climax scene definitely didn't immediately compel me to read book 2, it left me feeling like take it or leave it for a while.

While I did enjoy the first of this series and want to read more, I am a bit put off by the lack of actual physical action by Clary (freezing up doesn't count but it's much better than what Bella from Twilight does). Would love to see Clary train to fight like a Shadowhunter in the next few books, after all she has the talent for runes and drawings and a main female character who can fight her own battles is much more interesting to read. I definitely want to read more about the secondary characters and their stories, like the Lightwoods and Magnus Bane. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
How do you rate a book like City of Bones?

The writing is poor, a high percentage of descriptions made no sense ("Her knees felt like bags of water??”) and the characters quite often acted out of character/did things that made no sense.

So then why 4 stars?
Because it was fun. And I think there's a lot to be said for that.
Yes, quite often the writing impacted the story and at times I had no idea what characters were doing or what Cassandra Clare was trying to describe. For instance the writing might draw you to the conclusion that two characters are standing next to each other chatting, but then you'll carry on reading and find out that they were actually on opposite sides of the room. (What were they doing? Shouting their dialogue across the room at each other?) It's strange and it pulls you out of the adventure. But you do get adventure and that’s where this book shines.

I was dying to know more about the circle, more about the downworlders, putting marks on skin, the silent brothers, warlocks, witches. Everything. I got completely engrossed in the mythology that Clare created and that is where she truly shines. She has a brilliant imagination and is full of ideas. And even though the writing quality isn’t high she is still capable of keeping the pace going (which is a skill in itself) so you never get bored and are always hungry to find out what happens next.

City of Bones has been a guilty pleasure of mine. I’m almost embarrassed to admit to it, but it has been fun and I imagine I’ll pick up book 2 before long and read that too.
1 vote JohnEKerry | Aug 20, 2014 |
This book was pretty good. I almost gave it 4 stars but I don't think it was that good. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series though. I would like to see what happens with Clary and Jace. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
An engrossing read with all the classic elements of a good story - a heroine who suddenly encounters a supernatural world, a set of warriors who battle the paranormal, a mysterious past that must be uncovered, and a villain who turns out to be deeply tied to the main characters. A quick, completely enjoyable read. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 7, 2014 |
I just bought this entire series. Did I make a mistake? I am scared. lol ( )
  coralily | Aug 4, 2014 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible