Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:Sarah_Estelle
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (536)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  All languages (547)
It was kind of weird for me to wait until The Mortal Instruments series were completed to start it.
But worth it.
I have seen the movie and I was by no extent surprised, it bore the crap out of me but I decided to give the books a go and I must say this start off great but took me ages to read considering that I usually would have 2 days to finish this.
Also Clary is pretty annoying.
The best part about this book was Jace, he was the greatest.
People tell me it picks up further on the series and I will totally be giving the next one a go! ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
But worth it.
Also Clary is pretty annoying.
The best part about this book was Jace, he was the greatest.
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
"City of Bones", the first book of The Mortal Instruments series, is based on an interesting premise however the overall book is essentially mediocre in plot and characters that are not well rounded.

Author Cassandra Clare envisioned a supernatural world hidden from the mundane world through various magical means, while an interesting twist on a well-used idea (not just by a certain author from Edinburgh), in execution it was a tad flawed. Her main characters, Clary Fray and Jace Wayland, are annoying for various reasons but mostly being illogical and a 24/7 jerk. While Clary finds herself going from normal teenager to learning her "hidden history", she does some pretty stupid things that at time contradict previous actions and opinions she had just done or thought. Jace from the start is a major jerk, who never seems to change, even with the major revelations at the end of the book. Given their relationship development through the book, I wouldn't equate it to Ron/Ginny it was more Luke/Leia and to be honest it's hard to say who did the reveal better Clare or Lucas (if you can't believe I just made that comparison I dare to you to watch Jedi again).

A lot of the "surprises" and "twists" in the plot were either plain to see, the reveal of who Clary's real father is was pretty easy to guess and the character who turned out to be a werewolf was also easy to spot, while others were plainly botched and hard to read, the gay character reveal for instance. While the main antagonist was able to get away with the prized item that drove the plot it left the story the open ended to be continued, however the epilogue with Clary's interactions with Jace, Alec, and Isabelle was cringe worthy in parts.

Overall, my opinion of "City of Bones" is simply, meh. ( )
  mattries37315 | Sep 11, 2014 |
AUTHOR: CLARE, Cassandra
TITLE: CITY OF BONES
DATE READ: 08/29/14
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS YA/2007/Margaret K. McElderry Books/485 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: #1 in series
TIME/PLACE: Present/NY
CHARACTERS: Clary Fray/ teenager; Simon her friend and a band of Shadowhunters including Jace, Isabelle, Alec
FIRST LINES: "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest. He stared down at the boy in the red zip-up jacket and shook his shaved head.
COMMENTS: I chose this book for several reasons … one I had started it a few times & it just never had the time for it. I saw this listed in a group of YA books classified as Dystopian & thought this was my chance to read it. LOL After reading it my first response is this is not dystopian & why did someone list it as such… oh well. I guess there are so many YA books out right now reflecting the bleakness of the times -- ergo, Dystopian fiction -- that sometimes they are just all jumbled together. In a dystopian novel there is a sense of hopelessness & negativity and overbearing control, loss of individualism, freedom etc. (at least that is the way I see it). I think w/ Urban Fantasy -- there is a belief in a rightness/ justice and a sense of order where Good can overcome Bad. Thus… the Shadowhunters in this book are the warriors fighting the demons w/ a sense that they will w/o a doubt have battles and losses but WILL overcome! This book is the 1st in a series and there are prequels and sequels -- I think I will be going on. I liked the characters, the plotting was imaginative and didn't feel I was in a totally strange world -- that is when I do not like the fantasy books when I feel that disconnect and I am thrown into too strange of another world -- at least here there are very familiar aspects being in NY, etc altho' there are parts that are other-worldly -- this is fine for me as long as the whole thing isn't entirely fabricated. I suppose it shouldn't make a difference but I guess I just need something that I can connect to as a reference to really get my reading rhythm flowing.
In this first book of the The Mortal Instruments we are introduced to Clary Fray an average teenaged girl living w/ her Mom in Brooklyn. She goes to a club, Pandemonium, and starts seeing things/people that mere mortals/mundanes cannot see. She is not aware of anything different about her until now. She is unaware that her mother has hidden from her the true beginnings of her life -- she grew up on Idris -- a world between worlds -- invisible to the mundanes. A world inhabited by Shadowhunters who rid the world of the demons -- werewolves & vampires are not demons but not a mundane being either and one that usually can be used as an ally w/ the Shadowhunters. The mortal instruments consist of a cup, a sword and mirror -- these were tools given by an angel to the order of nephillium (Shadowhunters) to use as tools to make the world right from demons. As this story goes… the focus is on the search for the Mortal Cup. And quite an entertaining and clever romp it is to find the cup. Clary begins to recognize qualities in her that set her apart from the mundane but her mind has been "controlled" and there are certain things blocked off to her that she has no memory of. Her mother wanted to make sure when she departed from Idris pregnant w/ Clary that Clary would grow up mundane and not have to know about the world of demons, etc. However, when Clary's mother is kidnapped…that all changes and Clary has to connect to her true self (nephillium) in order to rescue her mother. ( )
  pammykn | Sep 4, 2014 |
Hi Patricia, mommy.
  patrishthefish | Aug 26, 2014 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible