City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:Sarah_Estelle
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (560)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (572)
So, I read the first few chapters, and I already knew what was going to happen. Between that and the blurb on the back of the book I had the plot pretty much figured out. This was disappointing to me because I really really wanted to read this book for a very long time. I did like the new take on the fight between good and evil, and I will probably try to read this again when I'm in the mood for teen fantasy. ( )
  rjc146 | Jan 23, 2015 |
Ha. Ha. Clary's revelations. Are those jokes? Just checking. I know some of my friends like this book, but I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. Clary is a Beautiful Talented Mary Sue, Simon is a Nerd, Isabelle is a Jealous B*tch, Alec is an Emo Dude, and Jace is the Guy Who Seems Like A Jerk At First Glance But REALLY ISN'T! HE HAS A DEEP PAST! *GASP* Keep trying, Clare. It's not working.

And THOSE SIMILES! Every. Single. Page. Completely unnecessary.

And can I just say that the Magnus-Alec thing was really creepy. Seriously.

And I read the whole thing, okay? Even the Epilogue (a whole lot of info-dumping). So no complaining that I don't like it because I didn't read the whole thing, okay?

On to Melina Marchetta! ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
The novel started off slow to me and captured my interest long after I started reading it. The characters are obnoxious, have low self-esteem, and lack any real defining qualities. Honestly, I only picked up this series because of its prequel, The Infernal Devices. Again, the main characters are teens but this set seems to lack the sense of maturity that the last cast held. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Jan 14, 2015 |
This book did not live up to hype I've been hearing about the series. None of the kids interested me at all, and I found Alec and Jace to be obnoxious at best. Only the adults really caught my attention, and they are few and far between.
  sawcat | Jan 9, 2015 |
I was engrossed in City of Bones from the moment I started turning the pages, no matter how late to the game I am for this series! The characters are fun and varied, the story is rich with mythology and action, and there is a nice mix of humor and romance, too.

The cast of characters is fantastic. They are all very different and the dynamics between them is often hilarious. Clary is new to the world of the Shadowhunters. Her life has been fairly isolated, revolving around her mother Jocelyn, her mother's best friend Luke, and her own best friend Simon. Clary and Simon have been best friends since they were very little and they are virtually inseparable. He is a self-admitted gamer nerd with a fondness for witty T-shirts and she is artistic with a fondness for manga. The two are often hilarious together. And then they meet Jace, Alec, and Isabelle. Jace is the epitome of a pretty boy, gorgeous and often a complete jerk. Alec is his "sort of" brother and is a bit on the brisk side, clearly a bit protective of Jace and Isabelle, the oldest of them all at eighteen. Isabelle is Alec's sister, gorgeous and confident... everything Clary feels she is not. The dynamic between the three guys is often tense, for very different reasons. The two girls are not used to having female friends and have virtually no idea how to relate to one another. The ways in which these five interact is often hilarious, with a lot of witty repartee that I love!

I love a story with a good mythology and this one has that. The mythology is rich, blending elements that we know with new elements and new explanations. It creates a story that makes the existence of the supernatural entirely believable. The mythology is based around that of angels and demons, but incorporates the existence of werewolves, warlocks, faery, and vampires right along with them. A whole new world is created right along the one that we live in.

The story line is full of action, mystery, intrigue, and romance. It is often emotional and it was unexpectedly funny in a smart way. There are a lot of passages of truly witty, and often sarcastic, banter and it comes across as naturally humorous, not contrived. Simon and Jace were the undisputed kings of witty repartee, especially between them.

My Recommendation

If you love a read with supernatural creatures and a richly created mythology, then this is a good read! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 6, 2015 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,078,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible