City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (679)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (692)
On the fence with this book. It was just ok. I like the idea of shadow hunters, just would prefer the characters be older. The plot, storyline, and characters were decently developed. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
I did enjoy this on some level, but there were too many times when I knew where she was borrowing her ideas from. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Background: Clary is just an ordinary girl, or so she thought, then she began to see things that weren’t really there. A mysterious and very handsome boy takes an interest in her ability to see him when others cannot. Clary thinks she is witnessing a murder, when really these mysterious people are Shadowhunters who fight demons on earth to protect “mundanes” or human. The City of Bones is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series and has all the suspense, action, and romance a teen reader craves.
Review: This was a great story. Clary the main character is wonderful to follow; she is a confused teen with few friends and lives believing that her father has long been deceased. Throughout the story Clary makes realizations about herself and her life that form her character all too well. The romantic triangle between her, Simon (her best friend), and Jace (her new mysterious follower) is hilarious and full of sarcasm, drama, and confusion. I really enjoyed this read but was very upset at how this romantic involvement turns out, but I won’t spoil it.
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Such an amazing book! It kept me hooked until the very end and, even then, I am still hooked now, a few months after finishing it. Just make sure you have the next book to read straight after because otherwise you will be left on a very suspenseful cliffhanger. Cassandra writes extraordinarily and helps the reader picture such a vivid image, they feel like they are right there with the characters. It kept me guessing all the way through. If you like books with magic, unexpected plot twists and unique characters, this is the book for you. 10/10 ( )
  Amy15 | Sep 24, 2016 |
This book is about demons and hunting them. So clary is an average person ... or so she thought. She starts seeing things like demonds one day. So she ends up at this instutute were she learns all about demons. she starts to love this guy named Jace. She finds out that this guy named valentine is trying to get the mortal cup and create an army for war. Well later in the book she finds out her "Uncle" is a werewolf. He has a pack so they go to attack Valentine. well jace earlier was kidnaped by Valentine but when the attack valentine they resalize jace isnt hramed by Valentine. So Clary earlier in the book found out Valentine was her fater. But know Jace the guy she was starting to like says there brother and sister. Jace is also valentines daughter so in the end Vallentine gets away.

This book was great!!! I recomend it to everyone. The book is full of action. Plus so many twists you would not see coming. Also it is mysterious so if you like mystery this a good book for you. The book is a series book too so if you like sereis this is one. Overall One of the best books I have ever read! ( )
  RileyR.B4 | Sep 7, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible