City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:Sarah_Estelle
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (551)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (563)
Interesting. You can tell it's definitely drawing from other contemporary fantasy novels. It offers little by way of "new" and "innovative," but if you like tried and true formulas, it's an acceptable series. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 11, 2014 |
I personally enjoyed this book and the series. We see New York in a new light, famous places are given new life and a dark and mysterious past and beginning. The chemistry between Clary and Jace is great and we see her explore this invisible world and we get to explore it with her. ( )
  DanaBello | Dec 4, 2014 |
This was a very good book and I'm excited to read the rest of the series. The book was pretty different from the movie so I'm glad that I gave the book a chance. ( )
  Jashrekn | Dec 2, 2014 |
Clarissa “Clary” Fray's mother has finally cracked, at least that's what Clary thinks when Jocelyn tells her daughter to abandon their Brooklyn brownstone and live in Williamsburg for a while. Clary thinks it's a fate worse than death, and escaping into the arms of a mysterious boy only she can see, Jace introduces her to a whole other world. One that she has been missing out on for years, brought back to reality only when her mother calls her begging to stay away from home. When she gets there, the world Jace has introduced her to reveals its uglier side, and nothing will ever be the same for Clary again.

As far as debut novels and first installments in series, City of Bones blows plenty of books out of the water. Cassandra Clare, hate her or love her, has written a remarkable story, keeps the characters in motion for almost the entire length of the story, writes the type of character interaction that makes a girl salivate. Jace is almost too cool to touch, filled with idiosyncrasies that make him charming yet searingly annoying. Clary has it a bit too perfect, falling into a rabbit hole that is almost too good to be true, and she gets away with her life, but realistic battle wounds, every time. Aside from her mother missing and her substitute father saying mean things to her, life isn't going too bad.

But City of Bones introduces us to a love story, or rather, the blurb on the back says that this is a tale of forbidden romance. Simon, Clary's best friend since Kindergarten, is funny, friendly and seems to really like Clary despite how air-headed she can be – his words, although not verbatim. Jace finds her magnetic and beautiful, and she thinks he's got a nice exterior, too, but they end up arguing just as often as they end up flirting. But as a member of the new – to Clary – shadow world, she can't be with a mundane, which Simon is, making any future of theirs unfavorable to the powers that be, then, when more about her past is revealed, her budding romance with Jace is extinguished. What is a poor demon hunter to do?

The story kept spinning, and I enjoyed it's shifting dynamics immensely. I could really appreciate the effort Clare made to move along once she had made something clear, in fact there were times I wished she would go over something again. Clare is no master wordsmith, however, her weakness lying in adjectives and similes overlapping and crowding each other out in a deluge of colorful details. It wasn't overwritten, but at times I was reminded that this is clearly the first published work. Seeing the sequel – already on my shelf, thank you – which is longer still, I know there isn't likely to be a change on that front. I am hopeful however that the small hiccups will be go smoother as we go along, hoping as well that the mortal instruments aren't merely "plot coupons".

Being a love story first and foremost though, do you find that seemingly insurmountable hurdles at the end of a book are a good way to go? If you've read it, or seen the movie, do you think that it ruins all the previous buildup in City of Bones? What are or what were your hopes for the sequels? Let me know in the comments.

NOTE: This review was written in early summer, and since then Clare's past has been brought to much media attention. As this review addresses none of the issues now being discussed quite openly, please keep civil, even if we are discussing originality. That being said, I will be publishing my review of the second book shortly.

442pp. Walker Books. 2007.
  knotbox | Dec 1, 2014 |
Much like Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I went into this book with a closed mind. However, I had quite a different reaction to this book. This book I liked. When I had first tried reading it, but hadn't gotten past about the first two pages, where they are in the club. I got the impression that this book was quite different from what it actually was. I thought the blue hair and crazy fashion was not just a normal in the club, but in the entire world that existed in this book. I got the impression that this was some strange dystopian. I put the book down and didn't come back to it. However, one day I sat in the movie theater and saw a preview for this movie (just in case anybody was wondering, the movie was awful. Don't see it, especially if you haven't read all the books, there are MAJOR spoilers.) and I decided that it was time for me to read this book.
Just so that nobody makes the same mistake I made, I have a brief, spoiler-free summary. This book is not some dystopian. This book is about Shadowhunters, who seek to rid the world of demons. Jace is a Shadowhunter, Clary is not. As you can probably guess, Clary and Jace meet, and things get crazy. Demons come, people disappear, and action is everywhere.
There is a little bit of everything in this book. It's full of action, romance, and even a little comedy. This book can appeal to a wide audience. I would suggest this to almost anybody, so long as they don't have an opposition to things like love triangles (most don't really like them, but this one isn't too bad [at least in my mind]), battle scenes, and some infrequent semi-strong language. Plus, Clary is a pretty good role model. While she starts out helpless, and sometimes she needs to be saved, she does a lot on her own, and works on becoming independent. The series as a whole is a bit of a whirlwind, but this book itself is pretty good. It gets a little creepy towards the end (if you've read it, you know exactly what I am talking about), but if you overlook that, things are pretty good. Jace is not in particular my cup of tea, but he wasn't too terrible, and I grew to love him later in the series.
Really, I thought this book was good. It was interesting, and kept me wanting to read more. In my opinion, the characters weren't the best, but they weren't so bad that they ruined things. However, people tend to either love or hate this series, so I think anybody with even a remote interest in this book should give it a swing to see what they think.
Three Point Five out of Five stars
See this review and more at my blog! http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/city-of-bones-mortal-instruments... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible