City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:Sarah_Estelle
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (565)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (577)
I first heard about this book when I was browsing my book recommendations on GoodReads and it looked interesting. Cassandra Clare is definitely great at sucking you into her alter universe. How cool would it be if the book was real and certain people had the ability to see "more"!? Once I started this book, I could not put it down. This is hands down a great read and worth picking up! ( )
  stellarkateness | Feb 16, 2015 |
City of Bones is the first non-vampirey book I've read, in about a year, so it was definately different and it did grab my interest! Ok, so it's still paranormal and vampires are mentioned, but I love the idea of the shadowhunters. I thought Clary's introduction to the world of shadowhunters was very well done, it reminded me a little of the Chicagoland Vampires series, but Clare writes with more depth and details. I adore Jace, he is so interesting to me and I can't wait to see how his character evolves. I love his confidence, and the way he trys to isolate himself just draws me more to him. Clary was interesting as well, she is so young, and very inconsistent, but I don't blame the author for this, I think all her actions are typical of a 15 year old girl. She's so mature in some ways, but still seems a little selfish to me. The twist at the end definately surpsised me, and I'm ready to start City of Ashes to see how the relationships between all the characters progress. This is a storyline that I am very excited about following because it seems worth a series. ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
Ughhhhhhhh. That's all I can't think to say about this book that fully encompasses my feelings towards it. I read this book on recommendation from a friend, as the series is her guilty pleasure, but I did not enjoy it.

The writing wasn't absolutely terrible, and the story was awful, but NOTHING was original. And SPOILER ALERT: the weird incest thing Clare's got going on in this book REALLY pains me. I cannot get on board with it. Yeah, Lucas did it in Star Wars (to a much lesser degree), but that doesn't mean you should do it too.

I will say I liked some of the characters. Jace really wasn't too bad, and if the series was stories of him and his demon-slaying escapades in modern-day New York City, I think I would like that. Or add in Alec and Isabelle and write about the adventures of the team. But adding in Clary and then.... the other thing that was NOT OKAY... I can't get past it and haven't any interest in continuing the series.

ALSO, How in the world did Clary NEVER suspect that Simon was into her? I knew within the first 10 pages, and she didn't know at all? Nonsense. ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
I`ve been putting off reading this book, I don`t know why but I liked it! Great paranormal/fantasy YA novel. The story was good and entertaining. Funny at times, little romance that overpower the story.
Very good first book of the series. ( )
  dom76 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Before I start my thoughts on this book, I do have to mention a few large flaws I spotted. When they go to Luke's house, the question of whether or not there's a back door comes up to which the answer given is no... however, Jace, Simon, and Clary came in through the back door... I have no idea how Ms. Clare's editor didn't catch this error. The second large error I spotted was the first time Valentine's death is told, it was stated that he burned alive with his wife and child... however, in the second time the story of his death is told, the child is omitted from the telling and it's stated that he and his wife were found, and then in the third retelling, the child is back again.

Aside from the errors mentioned above, the story is an interesting on. It definitely demands to be paid attention to. The characters are well thought out and well developed. I'd heard of the controversy surrounding Ms. Clare and her series, but I didn't see any of the things she'd been accused of, except in one character... The cat in the institute not only shares the same name, but bares a striking resemblance to the cat Church from Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Which I feel was more than likely done deliberately since I've named pets after ones from movies and books too >~.^ ( )
  S.CuAnam_Policar | Jan 31, 2015 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,696,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible