City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:Sarah_Estelle
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (676)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (689)
Second Read Through 2016 Review:
Perhaps because I read through all this before it was harder getting through a second time. Don't get me wrong, I adore this series (first three I've read so far at least). I picked this series up again this year because I finally came around to buying the fourth book and fully intend on finishing my Mortal Instruments "Refresher Course".
Things that continue to stand out to me:
1. Time sucking epic saga
2. Fantastic characters, wit, banter
3. Haven't had this much fun since Buffy
4. Oh wow the movie skewed the ending so much, so glad I read this again!
5. You must read if you dare to call yourself a reader.

Original 2013 Review:
A sweeping, time sucking, life consuming epic saga. While that description may sound over the top and even slightly mocking, it doesn't even come close to City of Bones. I finally bucked down and bought the first of this series when I learned about the upcoming film adaptation. And ever since Lord of the Rings I've made a point to read the books before watching the movies. I'm so very glad I did so with City of Bones. It's the kind of story that makes you feel like you've fallen down the rabbit hole, or some kind of parallel universe where monsters, fairies and nightmares walk among us.
Clary is a perfectly average, normal teen with the usual mother issues and a secret thrill for the unknown and dangerous. Her best friend Simon isn't simply some wimpy sidekick, but a fully fleshed surprise. Can't even begin to describe his transformation. Both of them are thrown into the world of the supernatural when they meet Jace, Isabelle and Alec, three Shadowhunters.
Jace is simply delicious and complex. I love how Clary peels aside his layers bit by bit. And the build up till the end of the novel leaves your heart in twisted shatters, until you're a victim of classic teen angst.
I have to say that this book far surpasses any other YA epic that I've read so far. Because of Clare's willingness to boldly go where few YA authors have gone before, and offering us not just a rich tapestry of words but fully fleshed out characters. Buy, borrow or read this book as quickly as you can because I guarantee you won't be disappointed. For anyone who craves the "sight" I recommend this book. But beware, readers, once you've entered the rabbit hole, you might not be able to come up anytime soon. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
I think the problem lies with me having read too many similar things. The magic in the world is sort of interesting, but the characters, history, villains, twists, and the funcitoning of the magic world were all less appealing to me. I found the world to have too many inconsistencies. I'm older and male though, which may have affected my perceptions. I don't think I'll read the rest unless someone says they are significantly different. ( )
  TegarSault | Aug 22, 2016 |
I am unsure how I felt about this book.
The first 75% bored the hell out of me.
The last 20% are what gave this 3 stars
And the last 5% almost took one of those stars away.
This was a little bit of everything I normally Love but, not everything that it was made out to be so 3 stars for me!
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I went into this book really not knowing anything about it, other than the fact that it was popular and sounded interesting.

I liked the characters well enough but while I found them somewhat flat, there were flashes of humor and brilliance. Hopefully they will gather depth in future books. The world that Cassandra Clare tried to create was curious, but nothing really original. It was like Harry Potter meets Twilight meets Narnia meets Buffy. Honestly, there was so much detail that I found myself lost at times and I found that I really didn't care. It was as if she took every imaginary idea she had heard of or had herself and mixed them all together in one weird, convoluted world.

There was a serious ick factor between Jace and Clary that I assume was more for shock value than anything else. I'm curious to see how it's all handled in later books.

The story is captivating enough that I will read the next one, although mostly out of curiosity because there was nothing stellar or stand out about this one. I can see how it appeals to teens and young adults.
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,412,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible